Important Survey - Please Participate ×

thinking of titration instead of dry cut/please advise

[...]

I am currently thinking of dry cutting, but I haven't begun yet.  I am to start my taper on Oct 2, even tho last night I only took .25mg of ativan and it was susposed to be .5mg. 

Anyway, I will continue at .75 mg ativan until Oct 2.  Not sure if I should dry cut or titration. 

Is there anywhere on this board that compares the two: pros/cons

any advice would be appreciated.

I want to do what is best for me but not sure which method is.

Thanks all

CAL

I am currently thinking of dry cutting, but I haven't begun yet.  I am to start my taper on Oct 2, even tho last night I only took .25mg of ativan and it was susposed to be .5mg. 

Anyway, I will continue at .75 mg ativan until Oct 2.  Not sure if I should dry cut or titration. 

Thanks all

CAL

Hi Cal,

Here is an overview of all three methods....  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9522.msg121458#msg121458

Thanks, T2, went over and checked that out.  Very good explanations.

I am taking a short-life benzo/ativan.  So titration will not necessarily help with interdose withdrawal, correct?

Guess my best course of action is to stick with the dry cut and go from there. 

I am having trouble with sleep, but my dr. doesn't think I have to get off of this, so he most likely won't switch me over to valium. 

I am currently at .75mg a day....what would be the equivalant for valium?  I may just print something off the ashton manual and give it to him and ask  :-\  suspose it's worth a try.

Thanks again

I am taking a short-life benzo/ativan.  So titration will not necessarily help with interdose withdrawal, correct?

I am having trouble with sleep, but my dr. doesn't think I have to get off of this, so he most likely won't switch me over to valium. 

I am currently at .75mg a day....what would be the equivalant for valium?  I may just print something off the ashton manual and give it to him and ask  :-\  suspose it's worth a try.

Thanks again

Hi CAL,

No titration would not help with interdosal w/d. The Ativan equivalency 1mg of Ativan=10mg valium, so .75mg of Ativan would be 7.5mg of valium. 

T2 :smitten:

Thanks all

CAL

Hi, CAL -  :hug:

Just wanted to share my experience since I tapered directly off of ativan (lorazepam).  I was in a quandry at first as you are and very nervous.  I took info from the Ashton Manual to my doc but she wouldn't entertain any discussion of switching to valium.  Later I read about people having difficulty crossing over or having a weird reaction to valium so I considered that a blessing in disguise.  That left me with direct cutting or titration.

I decided to start with dry cutting, knowing that I could always switch to titration down the road.  As it happened, all my symptoms were manageable up until the end and I decided to dry cut all the way.  It might have been easier at the end to titrate that last .25mg but who knows?

Once you get started and find out for yourself that you are not going to get all the worst symptoms you have read about, you will be okay.  And if you want to start with titration, that's fine, too.  Making the decision is hard but it isn't set in stone; the important thing is to have an initial plan and get started, knowing you can speed up or slow down depending on how things go. 

Thanks again

Hi CAL,

No titration would not help with interdosal w/d. The Ativan equivalency 1mg of Ativan=10mg valium, so .75mg of Ativan would be 7.5mg of valium. 

Not stricly true. Of course, titration will do nothing for the half-life of the benzo, but it is far easier to divide up a liquid compared to a pill. So, you could take a half-dose every 4 hours compared to a full dose every 8 hours, for example. Though, you need to have kitchen facilites to hand, or a fridge at least, when using titration.

Thanks all

CAL

Hi, CAL -  :hug:

Just wanted to share my experience since I tapered directly off of ativan (lorazepam).  I was in a quandry at first as you are and very nervous.  I took info from the Ashton Manual to my doc but she wouldn't entertain any discussion of switching to valium.  Later I read about people having difficulty crossing over or having a weird reaction to valium so I considered that a blessing in disguise.  That left me with direct cutting or titration.

I decided to start with dry cutting, knowing that I could always switch to titration down the road.  As it happened, all my symptoms were manageable up until the end and I decided to dry cut all the way.  It might have been easier at the end to titrate that last .25mg but who knows?

Once you get started and find out for yourself that you are not going to get all the worst symptoms you have read about, you will be okay.  And if you want to start with titration, that's fine, too.  Making the decision is hard but it isn't set in stone; the important thing is to have an initial plan and get started, knowing you can speed up or slow down depending on how things go. 

Thanks for chiming in here, beeper.  It's good to hear from someone who has gone down this road before me :-\

I think I'll have the same prob. with my dr. He doesn't even think I need to stop taking it.

I'm thinking it will be best to stay with the ativan because I know how my body deals with it.  I was intrigued with the valium because of the possible help with sleep.  But if others have had trouble switching, I'm thinking I'd be too nervous to give it a try.

What specific trouble did you have at the end with .25mg?

Glad to know I can switch over to triation (?) when I feel the need to.

I find it hard to comprehend that you were on this for 20 years.  WOW!!!!!  But to know that you were successful in getting off after all that time is quite encouraging.  Thanks for sharing your story    :thumbsup:

What specific trouble did you have at the end with .25mg?

I didn't keep a journal so I can't say for sure (we have an area, Progress Log, to record how you're feeling throughout your taper if you want to start a thread there for future reference.)  As I remember it, the anxiety got worse along with some physical stuff which I could have handled if not for the anxiety.  When I went ahead and cut, the anxiety did not get worse so I wasn't any worse off. Nothing scary.  ;)

Hi Colin,

I am to start my taper tomorrow with a dry cut and I am a bit nervous.

I am still considering titration instead.  Here iswhere I am at....Please advise....

Lorazapam

5 am  .25 mg    1PM  .25 mg      9 pm  .25 mg

At this level I am having manageable symptoms, some anxiety and major insomnia.  I plan to dry cut the 1 PM doze

Should i try the dry cut or go straight to titration???

Thanks for your opinion

CAL

CAL -

You can wait and see if Colin responds but I know what he will say: You must evaluate the pros and cons of all three methods and choose the one that will best suit your lifestyle and needs.  Theresa2 left you a link above to check them out which I think you did but maybe it would be a good idea to go back and read it and really think through if you can do titration. Weigh the pros and cons of dry cutting now vs titration now and commit to a method.  Really, either one will work.

Thanks, beeper, this is me of late....I make a decision then question if it is the right one or not becuase I am so unsure of myself.