Titration Method

[So...]

Can you use water or juice as your liquid for Titration?  Since I will have to take half in morning and half at night, I am afraid using milk and the seconfd half would have to be refrigerated for 12 hrs. could cause it to become less potent as Klonopin is not to be stored at a cold temperature. Would feel safer with water then I can just let it sit out?  Will await your answer. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Sound,

I mix up two days worth of liquid. I mix up 100ml and use 50 one day and 50 the next day. I have not noticed any problem with potency.

T2 :smitten:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [So...]

• [el...]

• [Co...]

• [Th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a love. Thank you for your fast response. Went to Dr. yesterday. Feels sorry for me as  I have tried so hard to get off. You know the history. Explained the titration and said why not try. Thought the schedule was too fast for me. This is what he outlined. Crush and put one 0.5 Klonopin in cylinder and withdraw up to 90 and take 45 and 1/2 of the other 0.5 in the morning and repeat at night for 2 weeks. Then go down to 88 and do the same. Would be 44 and 1/2 of the other 0.5 for 2 weeks. Going down by 2 mls every 2 weeks. Wants to go slow and see how I do. Do you think that is too slow and I will be getting no where? I will use the milk.

Hi, SoundV96 -  :)

I'm not sure how to answer this so will refer it to Colin. Check back tomorrow, okay?

If I understand correctly, you mean that you prepare 100ml of liquid with one 0.5mg Klonopin pill, and consume 90ml of the 100ml over the day (two doses of 45ml). So, you will consume nine-tenths of a 0.5mg pill (0.45mg). If your daily dose is now 0.5mg, I think this is a reasonable starting point, sticking at this dose for a week or two before continuing with your taper.

I find it curious that you doctor is suggesting such a slow taper rate for the rest of your withdrawal. Usually, we find that doctors wish to taper their patients too quickly, and our members struggle to persuade their doctors that they need more time to taper off their benzos. In this case, unless there is something unusual about your situation, I think this taper rate is unnecessarily slow. At this rate, it would take 90 weeks to taper off your remaining Klonopin - this doesn't make sense to me. Are you sure that you understood your doctor's instructions correctly? Quite frankly, a more usual rate we would recommend at your dose would be reducing your dose by 1-2ml (from the 90ml ) per day! I would consider a reduction of 1ml from your 90ml per day (a total of 90 days) to be slow. I don't understand why you would taper off 0.5mg over a 90 week period.

If you are at 0.5mg per day now, my recommendation is that you start at 99ml from the 100ml, and reduce your dose by 1ml per day. This is still a very slow taper (it will last 99 days), but can be speeded up to 2ml per day if you feel things are going well. I recommend that you talk with your doctor again though. I feel it is probable that you misunderstood your doctor, or your doctor miscalculated or misspoke.

I take two 0.5 Klonopins a day. One in the morning and one at night.  I have taken about 1/16 off each pill to give me the 1/8 on dry taper. Have been on benzo"s for 5 yrs. I wrote my history if you still haveit. So I would be titrating one pill and cutting the other in hlf and taking that along with the titration schedule and then would have to titrate the other 0.5. Would take me 189 weeks to get off with his method. Had been on 4 got down to 2 and just had a hard time going further. Would not run into too much trouble going your way. Did make me up a schedule of going down 1ml a day starting at 86 and taking 1/1 of the liquid and 1/2 of the other 0.5 in the morning and then the other 1/2 liquid and the other 1/2 of the 0.5 at night. Just afraid of getting in trouble and bad withdrawl. Dr. has never taken anyone off with titration. I am his first. I believe I am in tolerance withdrawl and he has no problem of upping the dose. I flatly refused. He knows I have had a hard time withdrawing. In your opinion you would think your scedule is a rather safe and slow, which already said is quite slow. I am also a 68yr old grandma and would like to enjoy my grandchildren more and want to get off this junk. Like most wasn't aware of the consequences of taking  benzo's. Thank you again, Will await for further assurance from you. Your time is greatly appreciated.Just want to do the right thing. Did take me a yr. to get off the other 2. Have been on these last two a yr always trying to cut  could not keep steady down to  1 1/2 and then up and down add a little then reduce again. Just having a hard time like many others. So happy to find you and hope this titration method is the ticket.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it common to have backaches during withdrawl from Klonopin? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Sound,

It is common to have aches and pains anywhere the muscles and joints are. Here is an excerpt from The Ashton Manual.............

Muscle symptoms. Benzodiazepines are efficient muscle relaxants and are used clinically for spastic conditions ranging from spinal cord disease or injury to the excruciating muscle spasms of tetanus or rabies. It is therefore not surprising that their discontinuation after long-term use is associated with a rebound increase in muscle tension. This rebound accounts for many of the symptoms observed in benzodiazepine withdrawal. Muscle stiffness affecting the limbs, back, neck and jaw are commonly reported, and the constant muscle tension probably accounts for the muscle pains which have a similar distribution. Headaches are usually of the "tension headache" type, due to contraction of muscles at the back of the neck, scalp and forehead - often described as a "tight band around the head". Pain in the jaw and teeth is probably due to involuntary jaw clenching, which often occurs unconsciously during sleep.

At the same time, the nerves to the muscles are hyperexcitable, leading to tremor, tics, jerks, spasm and twitching, and jumping at the smallest stimulus. All this constant activity contributes to a feeling of fatigue and weakness ("jelly-legs"). In addition, the muscles, especially the small muscles of the eye, are not well co-ordinated, which may lead to blurred or double vision or even eyelid spasms (blepharospasm).

None of these symptoms is harmful, and they need not be a cause of worry once they are understood. The muscle pain and stiffness is actually little different from what is regarded as normal after an unaccustomed bout of exercise, and would be positively expected, even by a well-trained athlete, after running a marathon.

There are many measures that will alleviate these symptoms, such as muscle stretching exercises as taught in most gyms, moderate exercise, hot baths, massage and general relaxation exercises. Such measures may give only temporary relief at first, but if practised regularly can speed the recovery of normal muscle tone - which will eventually occur spontaneously.

Hope this helps!

T2 :smitten: