Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Doctors who say "Some people need to be on these drugs for life"

[Fl...]

Why would someone need to be on a benzo for the rest of their life?

I would bet that for AT LEAST 9 out of 10 people it is because the doctor put them on a medication that creates an overwhelming physical dependency. The only reason you need to keep taking the drug is because of the drug itself. Your underlying condition is now completely buried by the effects of the drug.

I used to dismiss people's claims that doctors are the biggest drug pushers in the world. Now I know that's 100% true.

FloridaGuy,

I must agree with you that doctors are the world's biggest drug pushers. What's amazing is none of the doctors I know seem to have a clue about benzo withdrawal and how to help their patients they were prescibing benzos for.  We need to get the word out so medical professionals can advise us.  Until then, thank God we have benzobuddies.

annestr

Hi BB,

When I told my GP (who is a very kind gentleman) that I wanted to taper off the K because it is very addicting, his response was "it can be."

So sad...

NYClady

Do you really think these Drs are going to admit to this.  There not stupid.  They know.

I was speaking about this earlier. Do not think for one second that the doctors and drug companies are not in this together. One cannot survive without the other. Doctors make their living pushing drugs and big pharma makes their money when they are pushed. Doctors play stupid about w/d because if they were to admit to it they would be committing career suicide and opening themselves up for a massive lawsuit and it would be like domino's.

I got clonazepam for anxiety and panic attacks 5 years ago. It was charming pill first year. When I started to feel ill (tolerance) my dr said that I have to continue with meds and that I need meds due to my chronic anxiety caused by chemical imbalance in brain. So she told me that I will use them till the rest of my life like someone who has diabetes. And that is how I end up with K for 5 years. I always thought that was me my fault but it was benzo. New Dr said how he cannot believe I was on K for such a long period of time (one in the thousand ). It is really hard for me now to believe any Dr  :)

Psych drugs are the perfect poison. I'm sure the drug companies are acutely aware of the mechanics of this system. Get someone hooked on a drug that provides some relief but requires the use of other drugs to fight off the side effects and clouds your thinking to the point where it is almost impossible for you to realize what is really happening.

The doctors aren't as aware of what is going on but they know they benefit from it so there is no incentive to change the way they think. The fact that the general public worships them and they have the full backing of the government makes them the perfect accomplice.

"Why would someone need to be on a benzo for the rest of their life?"

What concerns me about this statement is - when doctors say this, do they mean that some people, after taking benzos, simply cannot function normally again without the drug due to changes in GABA.  This is what I am fearing these days, that my brain is permanently changed from taking Lorazepam and I'll never get back to "normal."  I pray that I am wrong. 

I think would be hard for a doctor to speak out as he would be ostracised.  The ones who have broken rank are heroes in my book.

Why would someone need to be on a benzo for the rest of their life?

I would bet that for AT LEAST 9 out of 10 people it is because the doctor put them on a medication that creates an overwhelming physical dependency. The only reason you need to keep taking the drug is because of the drug itself. Your underlying condition is now completely buried by the effects of the drug.

I used to dismiss people's claims that doctors are the biggest drug pushers in the world. Now I know that's 100% true.

Whether someone was put on a benzo for anxiety, a medical condition or because of experiencing an emotionally traumatic event, this attitude of "Some people need to be on these drugs for life" seems to be a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Life can be very stressful, no doubt-- there are times there are accumulations of stressors that can be really difficult to deal with. After 2-4 weeks of a benzo--for whatever reason a person was initially prescribed one, doctors should be counciling their patients with how to cope with stress.

I understand if a patient is in a life-compromising situation where a benzo will help short term, but for months? for years? for life?

I was initially prescribed a benzo for pneumonia, then, periodically I would ask my doctor if it was okay to continue on it. He said yes, it was fine, I was on a low dose... after my dose was raised and I asked him about being on it, he told me "some people need to be on these drugs for life". From a bout of pneumonia to be dependent on a mind-altering, life-changing drug for life? Unreal.

The most difficult part of this for me is the disillusionment, if I had been told upfront about the complexities of this drug and the complications, I never would have taken it at all.

[9a...]

I can't think of a reason one should be on a Benzo for life.

If the person never builds a tolerance or keeps up dosing, that's the only way.

I think a Benzo has its place, not for everyday use, but for things like Status Epilepticus.

But being on them everyday for anxiety the rest of your life.. I don't see one should be.

"Why would someone need to be on a benzo for the rest of their life?"

What concerns me about this statement is - when doctors say this, do they mean that some people, after taking benzos, simply cannot function normally again without the drug due to changes in GABA. 

I am assuming that they are saying this on the assumption (or under the guise) of the drug needing to be used because of underlying problems, not because they have created a dependency issue.

Next time a doctor makes this statement someone should ask for clarification. I would love to see what they have to say.

I was initially prescribed a benzo for pneumonia, then, periodically I would ask my doctor if it was okay to continue on it. He said yes, it was fine, I was on a low dose... after my dose was raised and I asked him about being on it, he told me "some people need to be on these drugs for life". From a bout of pneumonia to be dependent on a mind-altering, life-changing drug for life? Unreal.

This is exactly what I am talking about. I would love for a doctor to explain to me with a straight face why someone who was originally prescribed a psych drug for pneumonia would have to take it for the rest of their life. For someone with an anxiety issue the doctor has an easy out by claiming that the benzo side effects are nothing more than your original condition worsening. They would have no excuse if it was prescribed for something else.

I agree FloridaGuy, pneumonia?  WTH?  Would love to be a fly on the wall when that one was explained.  Sorry that happened to you Nicolette.

I agree FloridaGuy, pneumonia?  WTH?  Would love to be a fly on the wall when that one was explained.  Sorry that happened to you Nicolette.

Well, I feel like talking right now because since I had surgery and had versed and pain meds, I have felt really nervous, but I haven't updosed.

How it happened with the pneumonia was, I felt really sick (couldn't breathe well), it was the weekend, I went to the ER and was sent home with an antibiotic (no x-ray for pneumonia). I kept feeling worse and called my doctor on Monday and he was too busy for me to get in. I called back twice and told him I couldn't breathe, so he said to meet him at the hospital after the office closed.

*side note: My family has very bad asthma. My sister was in CARI (Children's Asthmatic Research Institute) for two years as a child. My uncle, a doctor, died of an asthma attack....many more asthmatics in my family. So was I scared? Of course, I've seen lots of asthma attacks before. (Fortunately there are great asthma meds now.)

So after they x-rayed me, I was put in the hospital and diagnosed with asthma and pneumonia. (BTW I never developed asthma) At the time, I didn't know, but I was given an IV of Ativan for three days. I was sent home with all kinds of meds, and alprazolam (Xanax) was one of them. I knew nothing about anxiety meds, and had never taken one before that. The asthma meds make you hyper, so maybe my doctor was trying to counter-balance them. I don't know....so after that he kept prescribing the alprazolam. At this time I was a very, very active person, with a very full life. When I'd go in for routine exams, my doctor would try to get me to take anti-depressants along with the benzo and for the life of me I couldn't understand why. I wasn't depressed then. I am now, but I'm not going to take an ant-depressant.

Incidentally, when I tried to taper off on my own, I was unsuccessful. When I asked him for a taper plan, I was given some two week plan that was a fail, of course. Then when I tried again he gave me a 5 day taper, that's when I ended in the ER (NOT at the same hospital) with the same kind of withdrawals that you experienced, Perseverance, extremely sick. I was on a medical unit for three days.

Explained? I went back to my doctor only once after that-- after being a patient of his for 9 years and one of his nurses gave me a pamphlet for Narcotics Anonymous. I will be writing him a letter one day and including information about benzodiazepines with it.

Sorry, I needed to vent, I'm not feeling the best right now. :(

FloridaGuy,

I must agree with you that doctors are the world's biggest drug pushers. What's amazing is none of the doctors I know seem to have a clue about benzo withdrawal and how to help their patients they were prescibing benzos for.  We need to get the word out so medical professionals can advise us.  Until then, thank God we have benzobuddies.

annestr

Hello,

My comment is not directed to anyone in particular, but I'd like to remind everyone of our Anti-doctor and Anti-psychiatrist Sentiments Advisory located here.

Thank you,

Pamster

What amazes me is that doctors are so eager to push these benzo's on people but when some have asked for Valium to get off the drug the doctor suddenly wants no part of it. I say it is an act of God that I got the doctor I have now. The one that sent me to detox was so not going for any kind of crossover. She wanted me off the benzo's fast.

On these drugs for life. It seems the old argument we are all becoming familiar with in this profession which is the  "benefits out weigh the risks" is without merit.

How can anyone seriously say that when they DO NOT actually have to learn and study the risks, therefore don't.

I posted a very recent article that got moved to Benzos In the News. This is what the Royal College of Practioners have to say about staying on benzos for life. And again, this is recent.

A quote from the article:

But the Royal College of General Practitioners defends the prescription of these drugs, saying the way GPs have been dealing with patients in recent years is a "prescribing success" story.

Dr Clare Gerada, the organisation's chair, says that benzodiazepines are effective drugs, adding that most patients can withdraw easily, but that for others, staying on the drug may be a better option.

"Patients that I see, on the whole, do not have problems coming off. Some patients may be on them for life.

"It's not a good thing, but if you balance the risks and benefits then sometimes the benefits of staying on them far outweigh the risks."

===

Even England's Public Health Minister Ann Milton says there is "denial of the problem", and the people affected from benzodiazipines like Barry Haslam and John Perrot and more in the UK are trying so hard to make changes and have been for years, but this is the organization they are up against.

[9a...]

What amazes me is that doctors are so eager to push these benzo's on people but when some have asked for Valium to get off the drug the doctor suddenly wants no part of it. I say it is an act of God that I got the doctor I have now. The one that sent me to detox was so not going for any kind of crossover. She wanted me off the benzo's fast.

My Doctor had no problem prescribing the Valium, he just wants to prescribe too much of it.

He has asked me if I wanted to go up to 50 or 60mg, and I'm tapering!

He doesn't know I am, if he did, it would be his way, and it would be too quick.

Right now I supposed to take 5-10mg every 4 hours, and that's not going to happen!

Nicolette your story makes about as much sense as mine.  My initial complaint was that I was sleeping too much.  Why I was prescribed a benzo for that is beyond me too.  I have probably had weak adrenals all along, but since zero lab tests were performed I guess I will never know.

Nicolette your story makes about as much sense as mine.  My initial complaint was that I was sleeping too much.  Why I was prescribed a benzo for that is beyond me too.  I have probably had weak adrenals all along, but since zero lab tests were performed I guess I will never know.

I found this in a very quick search two minutes ago:

The British Thoracic Society recommends that benzodiazepines should be avoided in acute severe asthma (BTS Asthma Guideline, 2004). Benzodiazepines lead to respiratory depression, which could be potentially catastrophic in a patient with acute severe asthma who requires optimal respiratory drive. Despite a suggestion in the literature that midazolam may lead to bronchodilatation (Hirota et al, 1997), it would be unwise to recommend the use of benzodiazepines in unintubated patients with acute severe asthma. The absence of evidence does not equate to the absence of potential harm. In view of the potentially catastrophic effects of benzodiazepines in acute severe asthma, it would be unethical to perform a randomised controlled trial given the evidence currently available. Anxiety in acute severe asthma should be treated with reassurance alone.

My childhood doctor was the most compassionate humanitarian I have ever met, he was the one who arranged for my sister's asthma care at CARI and no doubt saved her life.

I believe my former doctor, a different one than my childhood doctor, is ethical and I am not anti-doctor in the least. I just think there has been a huge disconnect in regards to over-prescribing of some medications.

When you think about it, most General Practitioners have to deal with such a huge case load of patients with a very vast array of issues. Doctors rely heavily on pharmaceuticals that really work. As I said before, asthma medications now are far, far superior to what were used decades ago. The same can be said for many, many medications.

Doctors are between a rock and a hard place on the issue of benzodiazepines.

In my opinion, since the Z-drugs are now openly marketed directly to the consumer on teevee, there will be more issues coming up that will lead to more awareness of long term use of this class of drugs.  

I agree Nicolette, I mean when the universities who teach our doctors have not come to a unified agreement on this class of drugs, what are they supposed to do?  They are victims in the sense that the information upon which they make decisions is biased--plus they propably have many patients who come in with self-diagnoses and psuedo-internet science which gives us a huge precedent handicap when trying to present our cases with credibility.

It takes a lot of courage to rock the boat when the school of thought accepted by the majority of players is contrary to your beliefs.  The telephone conversation I had with the benzo expert from NIDA really opened my eyes as to what was going on.  If a powerful Senator like Sen. Kennedy can't break through this wall and a meeting of the top medical minds can't even agree on the definition of addiction how can a lolely doctor make changes?  Also a doctor runs the risk of looking like a renegade if he goes up against the establishment.

I am hoping that once they really get things in motion in the UK and work out all the idiosyncrasies, and of utmost importance, get the Royal College of General Practitioners to change their stance, we will see a major shift in viewpoints here in the US.

In the mean time we can tell our stories to our doctors and govt reps and do other things to create at a minimum, awareness.

BTW, what was the date on the asthma/benzo info?  Can you post a link?

I agree Nicolette, I mean when the universities who teach our doctors have not come to a unified agreement on this class of drugs, what are they supposed to do?  They are victims in the sense that the information upon which they make decisions is biased--plus they propably have many patients who come in with self-diagnoses and psuedo-internet science which gives us a huge precedent handicap when trying to present our cases with credibility.

It takes a lot of courage to rock the boat when the school of thought accepted by the majority of players is contrary to your beliefs.  The telephone conversation I had with the benzo expert from NIDA really opened my eyes as to what was going on.  If a powerful Senator like Sen. Kennedy can't break through this wall and a meeting of the top medical minds can't even agree on the definition of addiction how can a lolely doctor make changes?  Also a doctor runs the risk of looking like a renegade if he goes up against the establishment.

I am hoping that once they really get things in motion in the UK and work out all the idiosyncrasies, and of utmost importance, get the Royal College of General Practitioners to change their stance, we will see a major shift in viewpoints here in the US.

In the mean time we can tell our stories to our doctors and govt reps and do other things to create at a minimum, awareness.

BTW, what was the date on the asthma/benzo info?  Can you post a link?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qfEdKWBcmmMJ:www.bestbets.org/bets/bet.php%3Fid%3D1267+the+use+of+benzodiazepines+for+asthma&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Sorry it's so long, I should have bookmarked it before, the British Thoracic Society seems to be a good site. This was published in 2005 I believe.