Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Those stupid animated emojis

[Kr...]

[Kr...]
Posted (edited)

Am I the only person who finds those animated emojis freaking nerve racking? I wish they weren’t even an option on here.

Visually overstimulating and they move too fast.

Edited by [Kr...]
Typo
  • Like 1

[WU...]

I'm glad someone else has mentioned this as I also find them maddening and cannot believe someone going through withdrawal would choose such a thing. They should be banned  for use on this site.

• Like 1

[no...]

They can be switched off post in the technical section to ask how as I forgot how to do it

Yes, it is a stressor for me. The overstimulation gets to be a heightened anxiety. I'm hyper-sensitive stress to bright lights, noises, hyper TV ads or rapid shifting scene my brain can't handle. I go nuts with sirens, horns, racing, gotta close my window, stay away from the news, turn off the TV, just stay in the dark. 7 yrs off K and still a nightmare.

On 10/05/2024 at 04:30, [[K...] said:

Am I the only person who finds those animated emojis freaking nerve racking? I wish they were even an option on here.

Visually overstimulating and they move too fast.

Can you provide me with some links?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Can you provide me with some links?

Thanks.

I think krissirk means the smiley faces that are animated (light saber fight, boxing, clapping, stick poking, etc). Basically any that aren't stationary.

I remember an old post from Pamster where she mentioned having trouble looking at your old 'Walking Stick figure' icon when she was deep in withdrawal.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 1

Hi @[Cr...]. Thank you for the explanation. It would be helpful to have actual examples from those commenting to this thread about it. I think people are generally more economical in their use of emoticons compared with 20 years ago. Still, if I have some examples of overuse, I'll see if I need to make some changes.

1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

Hi @[Cr...]. Thank you for the explanation. It would be helpful to have actual examples from those commenting to this thread about it. I think people are generally more economical in their use of emoticons compared with 20 years ago. Still, if I have some examples of overuse, I'll see if I need to make some changes.

Ah i see. You meant direct links to the threads and posts that were bothersome. I thought you wanted clarification on what types of emoticons. But yeah, i don't see them being used too often around here anymore, especially in comparison to when I first joined. 

11 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Ah i see. You meant direct links to the threads and posts that were bothersome. I thought you wanted clarification on what types of emoticons. But yeah, i don't see them being used too often around here anymore, especially in comparison to when I first joined. 

Way back when, many people we new to the Web and would often (over) use things like emoticons because they were there. But now most internet users are well versed in using the Net and understand that in general less is more. I have not noticed a problem. And the occasional post where emoticons are over-used is not a great problem. But I'd need to see examples.

It might be best if members provided examples via the Helpdesk to save possible embarrassment.