6 weeks post cessation

[Ar...]

Hello all

First post alert 😊

This is not about me, but hubby.

He has been taking Dalmadorm 30 mg for the past 12 years. It was originally prescribed for insomnia.

After it stopped working & starting to read up on Dalmadorm the decision was made to stop.

He has now been off for 6 weeks after from what I understand now, a rather fast tapper ca 5 month.

Luckily the tapper process was mostly uneventful. Insomnia, night sweats, light evening anxiety (which remains).

He does have an underlying condition for which he takes Madopar, which I discovered helped during the taper.

Further he takes Amitriptyline 10 mg (off label  use) for neuropathy. There are no plans to stop this drug.

Plus Magnesium L-Threonate.

(I will add his history to my signature once I figure out how)

He has started to complain about occasional double vision during the evening. He went to see an ophthalmologist who said everything looks fine but is sending him for a second opinion to one of his colleagues. 

His doctors were unhelpful during this process. His neurologist declared that it was great that he was planning to stop, but declared that she would not assist...

His GP did not really know what to do. So we didn't bother.

Yet here we are 🙃

I do hope that the worst is over.

My question is regarding his occasional double vision. Is this something normal post cessation? On an average how long did it last?

I have been lurking on the forum for some time. I think you all are very courageous & are doing a great job.

[Br...]

Hello @[Ar...] - welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Thank you for providing your husband's history with  Dalmadorm/flurazepam.  Just to clarify, his taper off 30mg took about 5 months.  Is that correct?

Visual disturbances, including double vision, waves, sparks, blurry vision, flashes of light, and floaters are known to occur during benzo withdrawal.  But I think you're wise to have it checked out medically.  I suggests you use the Search box in upper right corner of this page and use "double vision" as search term.

We're glad you found us.  Please let us know how we can help.

Brighterday

• Like 1

[Ar...]

Hello

Thank you for your reply 🙂

Confirming 5 month. 

We were kind of winging it with the pill reductions. Meaning no scale etc.

Keeping the taper as low key as possible was important, so that it would not become the main focus. 

Will take time today to dive deeper into the forum regarding hubby's vision troubles.

Again thank you.

[Ar...]

Brilliant, thank you.

I also found a few threads on the forum.

Very helpful 🙂 

It mostly occurs in the late evenings, when he's tiered. His neurological condition is not helping either.

Anyway I am confident that with time & patience we will get through this, too.

Again thank you 🙂

• Like 1

[Ar...]
Posted (edited)

Quick update - Turns out hubby has an astigmatism. So all he needs are glasses 🤓 

Wishing everyone a calm day ☀️

Edited by [Ar...]

[Br...]

That's wonderful news @[Ar...] !!  Thanks for sharing!  

It's a good example of how important it can be to check in with a medical professional if you have really troublesome symptoms.

Please keep us updated about how he's doing.

• Like 1