How I grind and mix a benzo for (micro)tapering: supplies and method

[cu...]

Supplies:

-Highly accurate milligram scale

(I recommend this one with the extra large weighing pan which you will definitely need: 

https://nootropicsdepot.com/nootropics-depot-milligram-scale-nds-201/

https://nootropicsdepot.com/extra-large-weigh-pan/)

-Pestle and mortar (or egg holder like I'm using)

-Your benzo

-Fine filler powder (I'm using lupine flour, because the yellow color helps me see if I mixed well)

-Butter knife or something else like a spatula to scoop tiny amounts of powder

-Something to stir (like a toothpick or cocktail picker)

-A jar or a cover for the mortar/egg holder*

-Empty capsules (recommend the biggest size: 000)

+

-Mini funnel to get the powder in the capsule

OR

-Large spoon

Method:

1. Weigh 1 benzo pill. Write down the mg's of the weight and the dose of active ingredient in that.

2. As even the best scale has an error margin of a couple mg's, you likely need a filler powder. Decide on a mixing ratio. I went for a ratio of 1:4 benzo:flour. So the total weight will have to be divided by 5 to know the weight of benzo pill and then from there you can calculate the mg's of active ingredient.

3. Grind 1 or a 2 benzo pills to start with. Ground them really really well so there are no chunks left.

4. Add the filler powder.

Make notes at all steps so you know exactly how many pills you used, how much filler powder etc.

5. Put it in the mortar or jar. Mix it really really well.

6. Calculate the amount needed for the dose you want.

7. Using your butter knife/spatula, weigh the exact amount for 1 capsule.

8. Put it inside a capsule using the little funnel OR on a big spoon if you're consuming it immediately.

I recommend against consuming the powder directly from the weighing pan, I just cut the corner of my mouth doing that, edge of weighing pan is really sharp! In the hand it can get messy, you might spill powder. If you're using a capsule: if you empty the capsule into your mouth, you can re-use the capsule if you want.

Personally, I make some powder everyday so I can be flexible with my schedule.

Hope this was helpful. If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know :).

More about why I chose a microtaper here: https://benzobuddies.org/topic/276878-why-i-prefer-a-microtaper-over-a-cut-and-hold-taper/

*On the picture the jar is filled with a benzo+corn starch mixture, but I felt unsure about having ground and mixed it well enough, so I made a new batch with lupine

Screenshot_20240414-211559_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by [cu...]
  • Wow 1

[so...]

I'm gathering supplies to taper from 1mg nightly. How do you get all the powder from inside the mortar & pestle? Do you have confidence that the ingredients are divided more-or-less evenly, or does it really matter over the course of a week?

I'm planning on tapering 10% every two weeks. .9mg, .8mg, .7mg, etc, so it should be a 2.5 month taper, correct?

Will the scale you linked weigh one pill and increments of that small of a weight? (sorry if this is a stupid question, but my kitchen scales have trouble with a gram! lol)

With my one pill a day, can I just shave off 10% using the scale and not worry about the waste if I'm willing to throw it away? I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible b/c I have children around.

Thank you.

[Co...]

Hello @[so...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

To remove the last of the powder (if you are creating a liquid), you might pour some of the liquid into the mortar, swill, and pour out again. If you need dry powder, I would suggest a flat artist's brush (probably natural fibres, which I think would better avoid potential static).

[cu...]
Posted (edited)
On 17/04/2024 at 17:40, [[s...] said:

I'm gathering supplies to taper from 1mg nightly. How do you get all the powder from inside the mortar & pestle? Do you have confidence that the ingredients are divided more-or-less evenly, or does it really matter over the course of a week?

I'm planning on tapering 10% every two weeks. .9mg, .8mg, .7mg, etc, so it should be a 2.5 month taper, correct?

Will the scale you linked weigh one pill and increments of that small of a weight? (sorry if this is a stupid question, but my kitchen scales have trouble with a gram! lol)

With my one pill a day, can I just shave off 10% using the scale and not worry about the waste if I'm willing to throw it away? I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible b/c I have children around.

Thank you.

I get the powder from the mortar with the butter knife. A spatula would work as well.

Yes, once I used the yellow lupine powder, I could clearly see the white benzo was mixed evenly. If you are using a white powder though, doublecheck that you've grinded it into a fine powder with no chunks. Stir a bit longer than you think is necessary just to be sure. If you put in in a jar you can shake the jar.

Seems like your calculation is right. Which benzo are you on? I could check the receptor occupancy graph in the Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines. Because it's hyperbolic, to receive the same decrease in receptor occupancy, decreases are preferentially hyperbolic as well, meaning larger cuts in the beginning and smaller ones at the end. For diazepam for example from 3mg to 2mg is 3% less receptor occupancy, but from 2mg to 1mg is 4,5% less receptor occupancy, so that's a 50% bigger decrease. You don't have to do this, but hyperbolic cuts have the benefits of being able to go faster in the beginning, yet having withdrawal symptoms more evenly in intensity instead of getting worse at the end.

I'm not familiar with shaving. But even if you don't use filler powder, it seems just as simple to me to grind the whole pill and then put powder on the scale till you have 10%. Meds should not be thrown away because they end up in the environment. They can be discarded at a pharmacy where they will process them safely.

Personally, I made the mixture once and then could weigh whatever amount I needed each day.

I'm doing microtapering, so instead of a 'cut and hold' taper, I take a bit less everyday, 0,4mg less per day now to be exact (40mg less of total powder, I made it so that each 100mg is 1mg dia for ease). Because I weigh every day, I can be flexible if it's necessary.

Edited by [cu...]