Increasing melatonin naturally

[re...]

[re...]

I have been doing a decent amount of research and I think exogenous melatonin is WAY dangerous long term as your pineal gland will stop making it's own. And as we all know any kind of drugs (this includes booze) to sleep seriously mess with melatonin. 

I would like to know what has helped you produce your own melatonin

The following steps I have been doing and it seems to be helping:

1. Trying to just stay in the dark after 9 PM. Not having any lights on or computers (although this can be difficult) I think the blue light argument is interesting, but would prefer complete darkness over the blue blocking mechanisms. I think in time even blocking blue light is not sufficient enough. I almost can guarantee there weren't as many insomniacs before the invention of the light bulb, then god forbid LED lighting, Tv, computer, I phone screens. And the circadian rhythm worked as it was supposed to.  

2. Eating tons of high tryptophan foods Bananas, Peanut butter, Turkey, Yogurt and especially combining a high protein food say peanut butter with something sweet like Apples or even crackers for the carbs to push the protein tryptophan in your cells better and delivering it efficiently.

3. Exercise exercise. I have heard plenty of the influence of exercise on melatonin production. And contrary to what we have been told. Later exercise actually can HELP with sleep and it has been said in studies that it increases normal  melatonin levels to 50% more. 

4. And of course who could forget the tried and true stuff with actual melatonin in them like Kiwis, Tart Cherry Juice, etc. Sometimes I will eat peanut butter with tart cherry juice and it seems good. 

What are your experiences?

• Like 1

[Kr...]

This post just made my symptoms of anxiety and fear spike. 
melatonin is the only thing that makes me sleep 2-3 hours. I’m definitely going to stop visiting here. It’s making me worse. 

[re...]

Kris

Sorry you are not getting what I am saying and being a bit reactive here

No no I am not saying exogenous melatonin short term is a bad thing. I just have done so much research and it can kind of possibly stop your brain from making it's own in time. This does NOT mean it is permanent and once you stop taking melatonin and doing the things I mention that it may come back better than ever before. 

Don't take this the wrong way but it looks like you are taking anything you can possible to get sleep including stuff like Trazadone, etc. This is fine and i am not looking down on that. But understand that people like TheWay that go the natural route seem to do much much better in the long term. Seems from what I have seen many times is that other things like drugs will poop out in time and then are in whole new world of trouble. Not everyone of course. Just many from what I have seen including myself. 

I am just trying provide some good insight on how to produce it Naturally for those that don't want to take a supplement or other drugs as they are sensitive to it. 

I personally was EXTREMELY sensitive to exogenous melatonin even at low doses.  Even before benzo hell. 

[Re...]

Thanks for posting this @[re...].I think information is important to make informed choices. I had no idea about melatonin before a doctor gave it to me at the hospital. I took it because it eased the landing of Seroquel (Quetiapine) I was on. I would take the Seroquel at night then about an hour later it was like a bomb went off in my body it was horrendous -- jerks, akathisia, throat spasms, nightmares, etc. It was like waiting to get hit by a baseball bat but not knowing when it was coming every night. I took the melatonin out of desperation not knowing it messes with a hormone in your brain. But it took the edge off of those awful Seroquel side effects.

When I was off the Seroquel it turned out the melatonin was making the akathisia worse because that bomb feeling would still happen without the Seroquel! Then I started speaking with other akathisia patients and they all said the same thing that this is common and to cut everything and let my nervous system repair.

I thought I would have to taper it but then just forgot to take it one night and thought well that is it I am off. And I am so glad that I do not take it anymore. I didn't get about 4mg because I was scared to.

Prior to the Seroquel, I was given Trazodone mixed with a high dose of melatonin I was up all night rocking and in terror, and the next morning I was taken unnecessarily to the psych ward. I believe these two substances interacted and I had an adverse reaction to them but of course, this was not acknowledged by the medical doctors. 

I know people who are not drug-harmed who take like 10 mg of melatonin along with L-theanine, magnesium, CBD etc. Melatonin is marketed as safe, effective, benign, etc.

I have not done as much research as you have and I appreciate the tips.

Thankfully, I sleep well now and fall asleep quickly most nights. I stay asleep for about 5-6 hours and if I wake up I can go back to sleep. No more being terrorized by pills an hour later. A cold pack or mild heat pack to the chest works just fine to help me if I need some assistance getting to sleep or going back to sleep. Nature's remedy. I also put a body pillow on top of me.

Tart cherry juice is supposed to be excellent.

Edited by [Re...]
  • Love 1

[re...]

Thank you for that Rebecca I just HAVE  to believe I can move beyond this nightmare that I and all of us have experienced NATURALLY and not any more lab ratting myself. I just can't take the stress of it anymore and maybe I am lying to myself, but I must believe in a better tomorrow free of exogenous substances natural or not. 

[ve...]

This is simply not true.  There's absolutely no evidence for that.  Please post the sources of such (mis)information.

The best melatonin supplements include Tryptophan so the pineal gland can continue synthesizing it.

[An...]
On 13/04/2024 at 13:53, [[r...] said:

I have been doing a decent amount of research and I think exogenous melatonin is WAY dangerous long term as your pineal gland will stop making it's own. And as we all know any kind of drugs (this includes booze) to sleep seriously mess with melatonin. 

I would like to know what has helped you produce your own melatonin

The following steps I have been doing and it seems to be helping:

1. Trying to just stay in the dark after 9 PM. Not having any lights on or computers (although this can be difficult) I think the blue light argument is interesting, but would prefer complete darkness over the blue blocking mechanisms. I think in time even blocking blue light is not sufficient enough. I almost can guarantee there weren't as many insomniacs before the invention of the light bulb, then god forbid LED lighting, Tv, computer, I phone screens. And the circadian rhythm worked as it was supposed to.  

2. Eating tons of high tryptophan foods Bananas, Peanut butter, Turkey, Yogurt and especially combining a high protein food say peanut butter with something sweet like Apples or even crackers for the carbs to push the protein tryptophan in your cells better and delivering it efficiently.

3. Exercise exercise. I have heard plenty of the influence of exercise on melatonin production. And contrary to what we have been told. Later exercise actually can HELP with sleep and it has been said in studies that it increases normal  melatonin levels to 50% more. 

4. And of course who could forget the tried and true stuff with actual melatonin in them like Kiwis, Tart Cherry Juice, etc. Sometimes I will eat peanut butter with tart cherry juice and it seems good. 

What are your experiences?

All excellent natural sleep solutions if only ppl would religiously do them long-term. Ofc, you will have to detox your benzo or Z drug or these natural solutions will not work IMO. My views are a little mixed on taking OTC exogenous melatonin. I would not take more than one mg however if you are taking it to aid in sleep and you feel it helps you.

Of the 4 things you listed, I only adhere religiously to the exercise.  I have been an exercise junkie tho most of my adult life. I think the right amount (intensity and duration) of exercise and the timing before bedtime can be extremely helpful and conducive to natural sleep.

[An...]
5 hours ago, [[v...] said:

This is simply not true.  There's absolutely no evidence for that.  Please post the sources of such (mis)information.

The best melatonin supplements include Tryptophan so the pineal gland can continue synthesizing it.

What he said about exogenous melatonin is probably true (IMO only) even tho you disagree. 

There is however lot of medical evidence to support what you said. This is also why my views are a little mixed about taking OTC melatonin.

image.thumb.png.f18c4bded56cdea791a5c29835d1f301.png

The human body is lazy so to speak. I agree with use it or lose it. Things esp. start to deteriorate with age unless you force the body to continue doing certain things. Weight-bearing exercise for strong bone maintenance is a perfect example.

[re...]
Posted (edited)

Verdi:

I NEVER said there are scientific studies about melatonin discoveries that when you take exogenous melatonin you stop making your own and what I have observed is absolute. I said I THINK exogenous melatonin is dangerous and if taken long term only.

So don't come in here and get all aggressive and calling misinformation. I am just trying to give people that have synthetically "burnt out" nervous systems  so to speak on this site hope for the love of god about doing something truly natural (as supplements, herbs, etc really are not) to help them and don't need this authoritative down talking like I am being conspiratorial. Or without "evidence"

I said I have been doing a decent amount of RESEARCH. Once again i never said anything about scientific literature studies.  This research can be anecdotal from my own experiences to people on this site to drugs.com reviews and reddit posts, what ever from many many people that have taken it long term and even short term with disastrous results. And almost all of them have really scary and lucid nightmares constantly and they wake up anxiety prone. This cannot be good.  And guess what? When they stop taking it!!!! You guessed it their sleep gets real nasty and insomnia gets way worse. You are telling me that a synthetic HORMONE btw is not going to somehow change your own production of said hormone. Of course I cannot PROVE this. But anyone taking it, PLEASE PLEASE be careful with this HORMONE. It is not a supplement like magnesium or a vitamin. And of course it MAY help some people and I never once said you should just stop taking it. To each their own. I am just trying to offer alternatives. 

I mean you are on a freaking synthetic hormone for god's sakes. You take testosterone and your body's own production of it will be hindered and this IS scientifically proven. 

Unfortunately there are really no long term safety studies on the use of melatonin for longer than 3 months. 

Ugh!!!!!!! here ya go:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1490287/

The gist of it:

Conclusions

There is evidence to suggest that melatonin is not effective in treating most primary sleep disorders with short-term use (4 weeks or less); however, additional large-scale RCTs are needed before firm conclusions can be drawn. There is some evidence to suggest that melatonin is effective in treating delayed sleep phase syndrome with short-term use. There is evidence to suggest that melatonin is safe with short-term use (3 months or less)

Edited by [re...]

[re...]

Anti benzo:

Right on in your exercise journey it really is a miracle in all of this. I have been so into it and it seems to be helping.  And I am so happy to hear you are doing it. 

Thank you for the studies info clip.

Just to be clear with everyone. I never really claimed medical proof or any scientific studies. It was just kind of my own research I have been doing on here and other forums and melatonin review sites like drugs.com, etc and even from my own anecdotal experiences with melatonin. It was more of my own personal thoughts and what I think could be going on from melatonin ingestion long term.

I also feel  unfortunately we are so dysregulated from these drugs that anything can have severe reactions on our already sensitive nervous systems and trying to just share what has been working for me I think. 

Thank you once again for your insight. It is always appreciated. I really dig it. 

• Love 1

[An...]
10 hours ago, [[r...] said:

Anti benzo:

Right on in your exercise journey it really is a miracle in all of this. I have been so into it and it seems to be helping.  And I am so happy to hear you are doing it. 

Thank you for the studies info clip.

Just to be clear with everyone. I never really claimed medical proof or any scientific studies. It was just kind of my own research I have been doing on here and other forums and melatonin review sites like drugs.com, etc and even from my own anecdotal experiences with melatonin. It was more of my own personal thoughts and what I think could be going on from melatonin ingestion long term.

I also feel  unfortunately we are so dysregulated from these drugs that anything can have severe reactions on our already sensitive nervous systems and trying to just share what has been working for me I think. 

Thank you once again for your insight. It is always appreciated. I really dig it. 

In a nutshell, all natural (if possible) is always better and healthier. Other animals don't take drugs (prescribed or OTC) for sleep, anxiety, and depression.....only humans. (LOL). Human intelligence has been both a blessing and a curse when it comes to health.😁

Like you said if you are going to take these things, I would seriously try to avoid taking them long-term. Very short-term or PRN from time to time is probably ok.

• Like 1

[re...]

Oh god yes human intelligence is what gets us in all this mess in the first place. We create all this technology that is supposed to help us and all that and it turns on us many times. 

it's like when you look at people not eating a western standard diet. The tribes have these amazing white teeth and strong bone health. Then the modern carb/sugar loaded diets come into these places and they get major dental problems. Even us........ we have all these bad carbs and sugar introduced through the food industry which in turn creates the flouride in the water scenario which I have looked at closely. This in turn seems to create a calcifying of the pineal gland which in turn seems like it could mess with melatonin production.  Then of course we need even ANOTHER industry of artificial melatonin. It is never ending. It is like create  a crisis/solution wheel that we can't get off of. But boy do the people at the top of creating all these new indu$tries make out like the bandits they are. I think we all wanna believe in altruistic natures, but mostly the human is not much different than a dog with self interest unfortunately. But the human needs SO MUCH more than basic survival. They (medical system) need peer approval in the high end suburbs while many of us suffer due to them kind of being aloof when what they are doing is harming so many. It is ok to make a mistake, but their egos really will not let them admit to themselves that what they do.   That is why sites like this are so good. It truly IS altruistic and we wanna help each other and the payoff is true health and not dirty money with major lack of transparency. 

• Love 1

[re...]

My intention is not to make anyone fearful of taking melatonin.

Sometimes my passion and my dramatic nature gets the best of me. And my writing can get a bit hyperbolic. But at the same time it is because I care about people being so damaged from yet ANOTHER industry. 

I just want people to err on the side of discernment when taking anything synthetic long term. It can poop out just like the rest and just like drugs. I think the supplement industry has become kind of crazy and it too is a huge money making industry. 

[An...]

You are 100% correct about the American Western Diet. Altho delicious, it will kill you prematurely if you eat too much of it on a long-term consistent basis. LOL

We are also now exporting this diet (for profit) to many undeveloped nations and now they too are seeing a rise in epidemic diseases like diabetes and heart disease like we have in the US.

Western medicine is excellent if you have a trauma (car wreck, gunshot wound, snakebite, etc.) and need immediate medical help to save your life.

The root cause of many of the chronic degenerative diseases in America is lifestyle related. You can not treat these things with Rx pills long-term and expect to get healthy. They may prolong your life (quantity but not quality) but unless you address the root cause and stop that, you will continue to deteriorate and probably die much sooner than you would otherwise.

While it is true that we all die no matter what we do in the end, we can extend both the quantity and quality of our lives by leading a healthy lifestyle to decrease disease risk as much as possible.

• Love 1

[re...]
Posted (edited)

Antibenzo I couldn't of said it better myself. You are sooooo on with that post. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is mostly (it can be genetics and sometimes things just happen) lifestyle. ESPECIALLY mental health and the head med industry. 

Trauma unfortunately I believe CAN cause a possible chemical imbalance, but this not need be MEDICALIZED and things like exercise and diet and getting rid of negative people in your life and trying not to compete with the Jones' and eliminating the western cult of materialism goes a LONG way to a  healthy life. 

Edited by [re...]

[ve...]
On 19/04/2024 at 17:46, [[r...] said:

My intention is not to make anyone fearful of taking melatonin.

Sometimes my passion and my dramatic nature gets the best of me. And my writing can get a bit hyperbolic. But at the same time it is because I care about people being so damaged from yet ANOTHER industry. 

I just want people to err on the side of discernment when taking anything synthetic long term. It can poop out just like the rest and just like drugs. I think the supplement industry has become kind of crazy and it too is a huge money making industry. 

We have to be careful with the assertions we make.  See the 2nd post in this thread.  A person freaked out because you said that melatonin is "WAY dangerous". 

Edited by [ve...]

[re...]

Verdi:

Yes you are right. My hyperbole sometimes gets the best of me and it can come across a bit scary especially for people using synthetic melatonin.

I would prefer to cause awareness over fear. But in my defense I STILL provided lots of POSITIVE info and possible solutions in my OP that seems to have gotten overlooked. Everyone hyper focuses on and sees the worst in this drug induced mess and forget all the positive. And I do think people have to question this within themselves. 

But that WAS my experience with melatonin and many others that I have seen. It has to be used with caution and closely monitored.