Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Lion’s Mane

[wi...]

[Jo...]

I have taken it but my naturpath said it wouldnt do a whole lot for me. He told me to use magnolia bark instead to increase neuroplasicity in the brain. 

[Cb...]

I take Lions Mane every single day in the hopes that it will help to heal the damage that benzos have done.  When I read about magnolia bark and lion's mane, it seems that Lion's Mane does much more of what we need to heal.  Here's an excerpt from an article about it: " Lion’s mane is a large, white mushroom, that as it grows, has a shaggy appearance that resembles a lion’s mane. Studies have demonstrated that lion’s mane helps increase Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) levels, which protects us against degenerative brain diseasesthat contribute to memory loss.17 While lion’s mane is best known for improving memory and concentration, studies show it can reduce irritability and anxiety.18,19 Several studies have also indicated that lion’s mane has immune-boosting benefits. Harmful pathogens enter the body through the mouth or nose as we breathe in. Lion’s mane can bolster our defenses by helping to stimulate gut bacteria to trigger the immune system."    

Since benzo use is known to have a long term side effect of causing illnesses involving memory loss, I felt like lion's mane, for me, was a no-brainer.  I certainly don't see why a person could not take both magnolia and lion's mane.  I haven't looked it up yet, which I will do, but if there is no indications for not using them together, it sounds like it would be a good combination.  Sorry I wrote a book.