Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Ketamine for anxiety

[Cr...]

[Cr...]

Anybody try it out and have Any successes? I’m thinking about it. 

Edited by [Cr...]

[Th...]

There are other ways to treat anxiety besides Rx drugs such as Benzos or Ketamine.

Ketamine produces hallucinations. It distorts perceptions of sight and sound and makes the user feel disconnected and not in control. Ketamine may cause unwanted side effects such as: agitation, depression, cognitive difficulties, unconsciousness, and amnesia. Involuntarily rapid eye movement, dilated pupils, salivation, tear secretions, and stiffening of the muscles, possible nausea Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) has been reported several weeks after ketamine use and may include experiencing prolonged visual disturbances.

• Like 2

[el...]

No, but was thinking about it already. What really helps me with my anxiety - to have a lot of rest and don't overload myself. That is the reason i found myself these guys https://ukwritings.com/literature-review-help and now trying to sleep minimum 8 hours at night. Sleepless mights make me condition even worse, so i am trying to avoid it.

Edited by [el...]

• 4 weeks later...
[...]
Posted (edited)
On 11/04/2024 at 00:16, [[C...] said:

Anybody try it out and have Any successes? I’m thinking about it. 

I've done it.  6 sessions by a reputable ketamine clinic.  Didn't work.  It was very trippy.  And I very nauseous which is a known side effect.  But this was a while ago while I was still ON benzos.  

With that said, if you read the literature and listen to anecdotal evidence by the physicians, it is not efficacious if you are still on benzodiazepines for the treatment of depression.  I suspect it is also not efficacious for depression if you are weaning off benzos, just finished tapering, or in benzo withdrawal.  To many brain and chemical changes going on imo.

Now, for refractory depression, I suspect it can help some people.  But I wouldn't take it lightly as the experience can be intense for some people (or very pleasant).  Some psychiatrists may recommend it before ECT.

I agree with TheWay2.  Many other things to try first.  Therapy, exercise, nutrition, meditation, lifestyle , stress reduction, etc.  need to rule out medical causes of depression (chronic illness, anemia, vitamin deficiency etc).  always gotta look at your med list too.  I wasn't depressed before benzos...I think they caused my depression.  

Edited by [...]

[Th...]

5-HTP along with GABA supplements seems to have some clinical support for reducing depression although more studies need to be done.  It is said that it produces more Serotonin and works pretty much like SSRI ADs.  5-HTP increases serotonin levels in the body, which may improve conditions caused by low serotonin levels. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in regulating mood, sleep, memory, and various other processes. There are also a myriad of other "natural" supplements:  Below is a list of supplements that may help with depression???

What natural supplements help with depression?

From sources across the web
Vitamin D
Omega 3
Magnesium
5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)
Saffron
SAMe
Vitamin B12
Zinc
Melatonin
Folate
Lavender
Rhodiola
Vitamin C
B vitamins
Acetylcysteine
Calcium
Ginseng
Probiotics
Turmeric
DHEA
GABA
Vitamin B3
Amino acids
Chamomile

[Ca...]
9 hours ago, [[T...] said:

5-HTP along with GABA supplements seems to have some clinical support for reducing depression although more studies need to be done.  It is said that it produces more Serotonin and works pretty much like SSRI ADs.  5-HTP increases serotonin levels in the body, which may improve conditions caused by low serotonin levels. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in regulating mood, sleep, memory, and various other processes. There are also a myriad of other "natural" supplements:  Below is a list of supplements that may help with depression???

What natural supplements help with depression?

From sources across the web
Vitamin D✔️
Omega 3✔️
Magnesium✔️
5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)
Saffron
SAMe
Vitamin B12✔️
Zinc✔️
Melatonin✔️
Folate
Lavender✔️
Rhodiola
Vitamin C✔️
B vitamins
Acetylcysteine
Calcium✔️
Ginseng✔️
Probiotics
Turmeric✔️
DHEA
GABA
Vitamin B3
Amino acids
Chamomile✔️

Can't recall everything but ✔️ the ones I could. If there's a deficiency then I could see it that's about it. If the depression, as with my case, is strictly psychological or follows an emotional sequence, it's going to have an element of guilt to it. I would consider guilt to be a primary disorder but societies are bound to an internalized 'moral' code of conduct, guilt will pervade our consciousness with the singular purpose of motivation. And so goes the endless cycle of projection, how could it not. I thought Ketamine was an interesting, quite controllable medium of expression, it had little impact from what I could tell. ADs (SNRI) were marginally effective. The only thing that ever lifted me out of depression were certain Opiates but only temporarily and of course carried their own complications. One meditation technique in particular, was remarkably effective, it requires a minimum aptitude to focus - something lost to me courtesy of Clonazepam 6 mg/day. That's depressing!!