Success! Good riddance, Klonopin!

[Ga...]

[Ga...]

I was originally prescribed .5mg of Klonopin for anxiety and insomnia after an acute Covid infection in June of 2022 that morphed into Long Covid. I had never taken benzos for anything and up until this point in my life had never even had a regular prescription for any medicine. The Klonopin 'worked' and gave me relief with the huge adrenaline dumps I was experiencing in addition to getting better sleep. In late October of 2022, I saw a new neurologist associated with a Long Covid program at Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital and he wanted me off of Klonopin immediately as I was experiencing peripheral neuropathy and he was concerned about it's effect on my overall nervous system. At that point, it had been about 10 weeks of daily use. He cut my dosage in half overnight, down to .25mg, and told me to cut stop entirely after 1 week. 

Three days into the cut, I started experiencing incredible withdrawal symptoms- tachycardia, exacerbated SOB which I already had from Long Covid, sweating, hysterical mood swings, insomnia, you name it. And then the GI issues kicked in. I reached out to the neurologist and he said to 'muscle through' and I'd be fine. I then began my research into benzos and realized that no, I would not be 'fine' and this was way too dramatic of a reduction for my body. Two weeks out from the cut, I started to really decline- intense acid reflux, constant stomach pain and an overall feeling like I'd been poisoned. All of my Long Covid symptoms worsened. I agreed with my primary care to stay at .25mg until I stabilized. Two months later, I still hadn't stabilized and sought the care of a functional physician. I'd lost 25 lbs. I spent many nights feeling like I was losing my mind. I spent months feeling like I wanted to end my life, a despair I'd never encountered despite the many challenging things I've been through. I combed this forum for tips, advice and validation. 

My new physician was very aware of benzo tapering protocols and told me to hold at .25mg and we'd address tapering once my overall health got better. I was diagnosed with Candida overgrowth and dysbiosis, likely catalyzed by the intense disruption caused by the initial reduction. I spent the next eight months getting my health back on track, slowly, slowly. In August of 2023, I felt well enough to begin tapering Klonopin. I used a compounding pharmacy, under physician guidance, and tapered down about 10% a month, increasing it at the very end. Throughout this taper, I would experience a mix of light symptoms from about day 4 through day 10 after each reduction but they were pretty tolerable and certainly nothing like I'd experienced before. I took my last dose sometime in early February of 2024 and have been doing just fine! I am immensely relieved to be done with that horrible experience and will never take a benzo again. The public needs to understand how potentially dangerous these drugs can be, even when administered at low doses and through supposedly expert sources. Doctors need to know! My former neurologist- fired that guy- would never concede that he caused harm. 

I wish all of you health and well being and I hope this story adds to the proof that freedom from the benzo hell train is possible. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

[Ja...]

Great to read you journey.  I am amazed at how damaged you were by benzos after such a sort time on them.  It’s frightening.  Congratulations on your success.  It’s wonderful that you are doing so well.

19 hours ago, [[G...] said:

I was originally prescribed .5mg of Klonopin for anxiety and insomnia after an acute Covid infection in June of 2022 that morphed into Long Covid. I had never taken benzos for anything and up until this point in my life had never even had a regular prescription for any medicine. The Klonopin 'worked' and gave me relief with the huge adrenaline dumps I was experiencing in addition to getting better sleep. In late October of 2022, I saw a new neurologist associated with a Long Covid program at Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital and he wanted me off of Klonopin immediately as I was experiencing peripheral neuropathy and he was concerned about it's effect on my overall nervous system. At that point, it had been about 10 weeks of daily use. He cut my dosage in half overnight, down to .25mg, and told me to cut stop entirely after 1 week. 

Three days into the cut, I started experiencing incredible withdrawal symptoms- tachycardia, exacerbated SOB which I already had from Long Covid, sweating, hysterical mood swings, insomnia, you name it. And then the GI issues kicked in. I reached out to the neurologist and he said to 'muscle through' and I'd be fine. I then began my research into benzos and realized that no, I would not be 'fine' and this was way too dramatic of a reduction for my body. Two weeks out from the cut, I started to really decline- intense acid reflux, constant stomach pain and an overall feeling like I'd been poisoned. All of my Long Covid symptoms worsened. I agreed with my primary care to stay at .25mg until I stabilized. Two months later, I still hadn't stabilized and sought the care of a functional physician. I'd lost 25 lbs. I spent many nights feeling like I was losing my mind. I spent months feeling like I wanted to end my life, a despair I'd never encountered despite the many challenging things I've been through. I combed this forum for tips, advice and validation. 

My new physician was very aware of benzo tapering protocols and told me to hold at .25mg and we'd address tapering once my overall health got better. I was diagnosed with Candida overgrowth and dysbiosis, likely catalyzed by the intense disruption caused by the initial reduction. I spent the next eight months getting my health back on track, slowly, slowly. In August of 2023, I felt well enough to begin tapering Klonopin. I used a compounding pharmacy, under physician guidance, and tapered down about 10% a month, increasing it at the very end. Throughout this taper, I would experience a mix of light symptoms from about day 4 through day 10 after each reduction but they were pretty tolerable and certainly nothing like I'd experienced before. I took my last dose sometime in early February of 2024 and have been doing just fine! I am immensely relieved to be done with that horrible experience and will never take a benzo again. The public needs to understand how potentially dangerous these drugs can be, even when administered at low doses and through supposedly expert sources. Doctors need to know! My former neurologist- fired that guy- would never concede that he caused harm. 

I wish all of you health and well being and I hope this story adds to the proof that freedom from the benzo hell train is possible. 

Good for you, my friend. Great story, and I´m happy you made it! Doctors will never concede that this drug is harmful and prescribe it like it was aspirin. I´m fisically fine, but it was difficult too.

[Re...]
On 08/04/2024 at 18:08, [[G...] said:

Wonderful testimony. Thank you. What specifically did you do to get your health back on track? How did it affect your symptoms? What was this process like day to day? Many long Covid patients have nervous system issues so similar to severe benzo symptoms. I have read some of their experiences. Wild!

[Li...]

Thank you for sharing your success story with us @[Ga...].  You are a shining example to us all that it is indeed possible to become benzo free and recover from benzo harm!

Your point that the public and clinicians need to understand the risks associated with prescribing these drugs beyond the recommended 2-4 weeks is well taken.  Your story also illuminates another important point the public and clinicians need to understand  — the risks associated with inappropriate deprescribing.  

Far too many clinicians follow algorithmic rapid deprescribing protocols such as the one used by the neurologist at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (i.e. reduce dose by 50% for 1 week then stop).  Although some individuals can discontinue benzodiazepines successfully using such one-size-fits-all protocols, many others cannot  — especially not individuals who present with risk factors for withdrawal such as yourself.

The neurologist’s comment that you should just ‘muscle through’ the severe withdrawal symptoms you were experiencing was both ignorant and insensitive.  You were fortunate your primary care physician recognized your withdrawal symptoms for what they were and was willing to continue prescribing the clonazepam (members have reported that some clinicians are unwilling to prescribe benzodiazepines at all these days). You are also to be commended for finding another clinician who was willing to support you in an individualized, symptom-based, gradual taper.  Well done.