Head Popping

Hi All

Does anyone else have the weird, discomforting internal popping in their head, and know what it actually is/what is happening to the body when it's happening?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions

L

[Ru...]

@[...] I had the popping in my head when I ct'd. They would actually get so loud it woke me. My doctor explained to me as it was my brain working hard to adapt. In mind it was my brain "misfiring." It made sense to me, but it was terrifying. I haven't had it happen since I reinstated and started tapering.

Are you tapering?

[Br...]

Sensations like you describe are common in withdrawal.  Here's a link to a page on Brain sensations/Brain Zaps.  At the bottom of the page it includes a few tips for coping with this withdrawal symptoms.  

Here's a quote from The Ashton Manual that talks about bodily sensations during withdrawal in a general way but I think it applies to brain sensations too and may help explain what's going on.

Try to remind yourself that miserable as they are, these symptoms are temporary and will ease up over time and fade away.

"All sorts of strange tinglings, pins and needles, patches of numbness, feelings of electric shocks, sensations of hot and cold, itching, and deep burning pain are not uncommon during benzodiazepine withdrawal. It is difficult to give an exact explanation for these sensations but, like motor nerves, the sensory nerves, along with their connections in the spinal cord and brain, become hyperexcitable during withdrawal. It is possible that sensory receptors in skin and muscle, and in the tissue sheaths around bones, may fire off impulses chaotically in response to stimuli that do not normally affect them."

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hi Rubi & Brighterday

Thank you so much for your posts, very helpful.

Rubi - unfortunately I cold turkeyed as back then I had no idea about benzos and my doctor (who prescribed them to me) told me they were harmless and that I could stop & start taking them whenever I want

[Ru...]

@[...] they really did us a disservice by not informing us. So sad!

I hope that the popping noises get better. They are really scary. 

[or...]
On 30/03/2024 at 11:00, [[R...] said:

@[...] they really did us a disservice by not informing us. So sad!

I hope that the popping noises get better. They are really scary. 

I doubt many doctors knew enough themselves to share with us :cry:  There's more and more finding out though, too late for some, but at least save a few others from the horrors of benzos.

Edited, sorry, had that written wrong, wanted to say they don't know enough ;)

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1