Should i taper benzo

[Ra...]

Hi family

I have akathisia from srri, i am still tapering. I am on kolonopin and pregabalin from 7 months .everyone advised me, i should taper other meds too for healing. Otherwise i can never heal. 

Should i taper kolonopin and pregabalin with ssri. I am afraid ,from withdrawals of other two Medicine. I barely tolerate ssri withdrawals 

• Like 1

[PE...]

Hi :balloon:

If i was you i would taper one sort of medication at the time. I don't know the route of taper from ssri, is it the same as from benzos 5-10% ?

I only stopped SSRI ct when taking them. I got violent brain zaps that was all. Not for everyone and taper might be better. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Ra...]
5 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

If i was you i would taper one sort of medication at the time. I don't know the route of taper from ssri, is it the same as from benzos 5-10% ?

I only stopped SSRI ct when taking them. I got violent brain zaps that was all. Not for everyone and taper might be better. 

@[PE...] yes tapering route is exactly same as benzo. Infact for me ssri tapering and withdrawals are more brutal than benzo. 

Thank you for suggesstion.

• Like 1

[Br...]

Hi @[Ra...] - I agree with @[PE...] that it would be better to taper one medication at a time.  It's very hard on the central nervous system to taper more than one med at a time.  I would also wait at least a couple of months after you finish your current taper before you start another taper. Waiting after your taper until your symptoms have died down and you feel stabilized will help lay a strong foundation for your next taper.  

• Love 1

[Ra...]
Just now, [[B...] said:

Hi @[Ra...] - I agree with @[PE...] that it would be better to taper one medication at a time.  It's very hard on the central nervous system to taper more than one med at a time.  I would also wait at least a couple of months after you finish your current taper before you start another taper. Waiting after your taper until your symptoms have died down and you feel stabilized will help lay a strong foundation for your next taper.  

@[Br...] thank you so much😍 .

[Ra...]
8 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[Br...] is it possible if we remove offending drug like paxil then can we stabilize while we are also using k and pregabalin ?? 

[Br...]

I think the answer depends on a few things.  Do you think your current symptoms are caused by the SSRI or are they caused by the effect of tapering off the SSRI?  

For many people SSRIs can stimulate the nervous system so a common view is that it makes sense to taper off SSRIs before tapering off benzos because the benzos will make the SSRI taper more tolerable.  Does this make sense to you?

It would helpful to others if you would fill in your History on you Profile page.  Here are instructions how to do this:

To get to your Profile - click on your avatar, => Edit profile (top-right of profile banner) => Add succinct use/taper/withdrawal history to 'History' text box => click 'Save' (bottom-right).

• Love 1

[Ra...]
47 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

I think the answer depends on a few things.  Do you think your current symptoms are caused by the SSRI or are they caused by the effect of tapering off the SSRI?  

For many people SSRIs can stimulate the nervous system so a common view is that it makes sense to taper off SSRIs before tapering off benzos because the benzos will make the SSRI taper more tolerable.  Does this make sense to you?

It would helpful to others if you would fill in your History on you Profile page.  Here are instructions how to do this:

To get to your Profile - click on your avatar, => Edit profile (top-right of profile banner) => Add succinct use/taper/withdrawal history to 'History' text box => click 'Save' (bottom-right).

@[Br...] unfortunately these symptoms are due to ssri not from withdrawals. 

actually i am on benzo from 7-8 months,on 2023 I had taken prozac within three days akathisia started, then sert for 20 days, one days lexapro aka 100000 times worse, i was severly damage.then paxil and kolonopin. unfortunately i had been taking paxil from august with aka because i was unawared of aka, dr was continously said it anxity and panic disorder😭 then i searched about my symptoms and found that i have aka. Now i am tapering paxil, current dose one mg. 

Everyone is saying to me that for recovery/healing i should taper benzo also. Otherwise aka will never pass. 

Therefore i am here for k tapering

I am totally bed bound due to ssri damage and withdrawals. 

Ssri Adverse effect are worse then withdrawals 

And thank you so much😊

[Ra...]
Posted (edited)
On 29/03/2024 at 00:10, [[R...] said:

@[Br...] unfortunately these symptoms are due to ssri not from withdrawals. 

actually i am on benzo from 7-8 months,on 2023 I had taken prozac within three days akathisia started, then sert for 20 days, one days lexapro aka 100000 times worse, i was severly damage.then paxil and kolonopin. unfortunately i had been taking paxil from august with aka because i was unawared of aka, dr was continously said it anxity and panic disorder😭 then i searched about my symptoms and found that i have aka. Now i am tapering paxil, current dose one mg. 

Everyone is saying to me that for recovery/healing i should taper benzo also. Otherwise aka will never pass. 

Therefore i am here for k tapering

I am totally bed bound due to ssri damage and withdrawals. 

Ssri Adverse effect are worse then withdrawals 

And thank you so much😊

@[Br...] i was waiting for your suggesstion.

I should taper benzo after ssri, which i think takes another 4 months to complete taper.

My question which things should be needed for benzo tapering

What should be tapering rate

Can i use liquid benzo from another manfucturer?? 

Which method  dry cut or liquid taper will be best?

I want full preparation before tapering. 

Right now i have akathisia from ssri. 

I just want to get rid of these drugs ,they are destroying my brain. @[Re...] @[Pa...]

Edited by [Ra...]

[Br...]

Hi @[Ra...]

I think you're wise to wait until you're stable after SSRI taper before starting your taper off Klonopin.

As you think about your Klonopin taper please bear in mind that it is best to remain flexible and make adjustments to your taper if needed.  This means you pay attention to your symptoms and slow down your taper, waiting longer between cuts and/or making smaller cuts if you have difficult symptoms.  This approach is much better for your system than following a rigid schedule you map out in advance.  

As a general guideline we typically suggest tapering by making 5-10% reductions in your most recent dose every 2 weeks.  Many members find it helpful to use a jeweler's scale to weigh doses. (relatively inexpensive on Amazon).  Others are comfortable making judging their reduction by sight alone.

We have members who have successfully tapered with 0.5mg Klonopin tablets using the shave-and-weigh technique.  Here is a blog by one of our members who did this:  https://benzobuddies.org/topic/255710-slow-taper-to-recovery/

Depending on where you live Klonopin (clonazepam) may be available in orally disintegrating tablets that can be cut, as well as liquid form. In the US I believe it's possible to have a liquid form made at a compounding pharmacy.

We recommend keeping a journal where you keep track of your daily symptoms.  This helps you see if there are any patterns of symptoms and whether you should consider making changes to your taper rate.

An important take away message is to not rush your taper - it will only make it harder in the long run.  A sensible, cautious taper will help you remain as functional as possible through your taper and afterward as you continue to heal for a period.

[Ra...]
30 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Hi @[Ra...]

I think you're wise to wait until you're stable after SSRI taper before starting your taper off Klonopin.

As you think about your Klonopin taper please bear in mind that it is best to remain flexible and make adjustments to your taper if needed.  This means you pay attention to your symptoms and slow down your taper, waiting longer between cuts and/or making smaller cuts if you have difficult symptoms.  This approach is much better for your system than following a rigid schedule you map out in advance.  

As a general guideline we typically suggest tapering by making 5-10% reductions in your most recent dose every 2 weeks.  Many members find it helpful to use a jeweler's scale to weigh doses. (relatively inexpensive on Amazon).  Others are comfortable making judging their reduction by sight alone.

We have members who have successfully tapered with 0.5mg Klonopin tablets using the shave-and-weigh technique.  Here is a blog by one of our members who did this:  https://benzobuddies.org/topic/255710-slow-taper-to-recovery/

Depending on where you live Klonopin (clonazepam) may be available in orally disintegrating tablets that can be cut, as well as liquid form. In the US I believe it's possible to have a liquid form made at a compounding pharmacy.

We recommend keeping a journal where you keep track of your daily symptoms.  This helps you see if there are any patterns of symptoms and whether you should consider making changes to your taper rate.

An important take away message is to not rush your taper - it will only make it harder in the long run.  A sensible, cautious taper will help you remain as functional as possible through your taper and afterward as you continue to heal for a period.

@[Br...] thank you so much ❤ 

I want to taper benzo after ssri, but i am afriad of tolerance. Because i am on k from 8 months. 

And yes definitely i have learned many lessons from prevoius ssri tapering.

One last question if our bad symptoms remain same without any changes between long holds thats means we are stable??  We should taper further ???

And my gut feeling said i should wait until i feel stabilize from ssri withdrawals. 

Here in my country compunding pharmacies spilt the doses in desired weigh powder into satches in cheap prices. 

And one thing more i had changed my k timing two times in prevoius  8 months. Can i split my dose 0.25mg at day and night??  Does it causes more destabilization?? 

[An...]
On 28/03/2024 at 12:11, [[P...] said:

Hi @[Ra...]

I am in agreement with what PEPPE and Brighter said. I would wait until I felt I was somewhat stable after the SSRI w/d before tackling the Benzo or the pregabalin. I would probably try getting off the Klonopin next and leave the pregabalin for last. The Klonopin will be the hardest IMO.

OP said>>>

One last question if our bad symptoms remain same without any changes between long holds thats means we are stable??  We should taper further ???

That is a hard one. At some point, you will have to progress forward despite how you feel IMO in order to determine if getting off the drugs will help you to eventually feel better than you are feeling now on the drugs. Hopefully, you will begin to feel somewhat stable after you stop the SSRI and allow enough time to elapse

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Ra...]
13 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Hi @[Ra...]

I am in agreement with what PEPPE and Brighter said. I would wait until I felt I was somewhat stable after the SSRI w/d before tackling the Benzo or the pregabalin. I would probably try getting off the Klonopin next and leave the pregabalin for last. The Klonopin will be the hardest IMO.

OP said>>>

That is a hard one. At some point, you will have to progress forward despite how you feel IMO in order to determine if getting off the drugs will help you to eventually feel better than you are feeling now on the drugs. Hopefully, you will begin to feel somewhat stable after you stop the SSRI and allow enough time to elapse

@[An...] thank you so much❤such a supportive community. 

I highly appreciate you for taking time for me and gives me wise suggesstions. One thing wana mention here two years before i ct xanax after use of whole year with zero withdrawals, not even single. But now if accidentally i miss my dose i feel high anxiety  @[PE...] @[Br...] @[An...]

• Like 1

[Br...]
1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

One last question if our bad symptoms remain same without any changes between long holds thats means we are stable??  We should taper further ???

I agree with @[An...] - this is a difficult situation but at some point, even if symptoms are difficult, you need to keep moving forward toward getting off.  It's important to understand what we mean by "stable" - it means  your symptoms do not change significantly in the type or severity for a period of time (such as a week or two). Being 'stable' does not necessarily mean that you feel good. 

1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

And one thing more i had changed my k timing two times in prevoius  8 months. Can i split my dose 0.25mg at day and night??  Does it causes more destabilization?? 

I am not at expert but in my opinion it should be okay to split your dose.  If you split the dose, when it comes time to taper, it would be best to taper equally from the morning and evening dose for your total daily dose. In other words, if you're cutting 7% of your most recent dose you would cut 3.5% from the morning dose and 3.5% from the evening dose for a total reduction of 7%.

• Love 2

[Br...]
13 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

One thing wana mention here two years before i ct xanax after use of whole year with zero withdrawals, not even single. But now if accidentally i miss my dose i feel high anxiety  

This isn't unusual.  I went through something similar where I took lorazepam and quit a couple of times with no effects whatsoever.  Then I started Klonopin and when I quit my doctor put me through a rapid taper -  result I was slammed with horrible withdrawal symptoms.  I think my very difficult withdrawal symptoms were due to 1. a taper that was way too fast and 2. what's known as kindling.  In layman’s terms, kindling is as if the nervous system has a memory of the past withdrawal(s). This 'memory' of prior withdrawal(s) still remains imprinted within the nervous system and subsequent withdrawals are worse because the nervous system recalls that it has been sensitized in prior withdrawal(s).

Here's a link on Kindling.

This is another reason it will be important for you to taper using the guidelines outlined above.

• Love 2

[Ra...]
28 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

This isn't unusual.  I went through something similar where I took lorazepam and quit a couple of times with no effects whatsoever.  Then I started Klonopin and when I quit my doctor put me through a rapid taper -  result I was slammed with horrible withdrawal symptoms.  I think my very difficult withdrawal symptoms were due to 1. a taper that was way too fast and 2. what's known as kindling.  In layman’s terms, kindling is as if the nervous system has a memory of the past withdrawal(s). This 'memory' of prior withdrawal(s) still remains imprinted within the nervous system and subsequent withdrawals are worse because the nervous system recalls that it has been sensitized in prior withdrawal(s).

Here's a link on Kindling.

This is another reason it will be important for you to taper using the guidelines outlined above.

@[Br...] thank you so much for guidence and sharing your experience. It will be very helpfull for me. 

• Love 1

[Ra...]
Posted (edited)

@[Br...] i have just last question how i will determine if i have Interdose withdrawals?? 

Because i am already in withdrawal from ssri

I am on 0.5mg k from 8 month's. @[Re...]

Edited by [Ra...]

[Br...]

Hi @Rabeeca -

The best test I know of to determine if you're having interdose withdrawal is whether you experience some relief when you take your next dose.   

6 hours ago, [[R...] said:

Because i am already in withdrawal from ssri

This is one reason we encourage you to wait a few months after you complete your SSRI taper so that symptoms settle down.  This way it will be easier to know what is causing any symptoms related to the Klonopin.

• Love 1

[Ra...]
3 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Hi @Rabeeca -

The best test I know of to determine if you're having interdose withdrawal is whether you experience some relief when you take your next dose.   

@[Br...] yes i can feel significant effect after taking my dose, it helps in anxiety. 

like if i take my dose at 6pm daily then around 9-10 i can feel little bit calmness 

When i wake up next day then boom, full anxiety and all withdrawals untill my next dose. 

My ssri tapering will take 10months to complete. 

I am at my current ssri dose from two months and now after two months i can feel minor improvement .

@[Br...] thank you so much again.