Does anyone have experience with dissolvable Klonopin tablets

[Er...]

I switched to the lower dosage (0.25 mg) (orally dissolving) tablets to help with my taper but had to switch back to the regular tablets bc the dissolvable tablets essentially felt like they did nothing. For the period when I used these I was miserable, couldn't sleep and felt awful. When I switched back to the normal tablets (at the same dose). Has anyone else had this experience? Do you know why there would be such a big difference in terms of effects? Half life different perhaps? It felt almost as if I were taking a placebo.

[Li...]

Hello @[Er...]. Are you referring to the clonazepam Orally Disintegrating Tablets (ODTs)?  I am not aware of a dissolvable clonazepam tablet (at least not in the US).

If so, my personal experience is that when I first started taking them, I noticed that the onset of action was slightly faster compared to regular tablets.  However, I adjusted to this difference within a week (while holding my dose constant). In retrospect, I would have benefitted from a more gradual transition from the regular tablets to the ODTs instead of an abrupt switch.

I don’t recall any currently active members who have reported issues with the ODTs, but hope they’ll respond if they see this post.  (The members I’ve read about who have used them have been ok with them.)

If you have not already done so, you might check the ingredients in whatever generic ODT you used to determine if any of them are problematic for you.

Out of curiosity … what was the manufacturer of the ODTs you tried - Alembic, Par, Sun, or Teva?

[Er...]

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I meant the ODTs. The manufacturer is Alembic. It felt almost like I'd gone cold turkey. Once I went back to the regular tabs at the same dose, the horrible symptoms were gone. It was quite scary as I thought I'd entered into some unbearable phase of the taper and I still have a ways to go.

[Li...]

You’re welcome @[Er...].  It’s possible you got a bad batch. Alembic is the ‘new kid on the block’ with respect to manufacturing clonazepam ODTs; also the company is headquartered in India and has had to recall several products due to quality issues.  The two manufacturers that have been around the longest are Par and Teva.

[Ru...]

@[Er...] I discussed the clonazepam ODT's with my doctor last week and he was concerned that changing from the regular pill (TEVA for me) would take adjusting. That's assuming I did adjust. It's not worth experiencing more symptoms, to me. I think I told you in my post I'm just going to stick with cutting the pills. As I get lower, I may consider buying a scale.

[Er...]

Interesting about Alembic... it certainly felt as if it was a bad batch! It felt as if there was little active ingredient, as if I'd made a big cut.

[Li...]

@[Er...] If I were still using the ODTs, I would ask my prescriber to write DAW (Dispense as Written) for either Par or Teva.

What is the manufacturer of the regular tablets you were/are taking?  Accord, Advagen, Aurobindo, Chartwell, Solco, Teva?

The FDA allows the amount of active ingredient in tablets from different manufacturers to vary slightly from the reference standard.  So it’s also possible your reaction was due (in part or in whole) to a dose amount change.

[Er...]

Interesting that you should ask about the regular tablets because I used to get Teva but recently I've gotten Advagen, which I believe are not as effective.

I have read that the Teva tabs are discontinued?

[Er...]

I have a mix of the Teva and Advagen on hand but will only be able to get the Advagen going forward I suspect. Can I alternate these or should I use up one the Teva first? I'm just now seeing that they are not likely exactly interchangeable. I have some extra Tevas bc of my tapering. This type of issue is another motivator for getting off completely.

[Li...]
2 hours ago, [[E...] said:

I have read that the Teva tabs are discontinued?

Where did you read this?  Here?  If so, were you perchance reading an old thread from 2018?  If elsewhere, please let us know where so we can investigate further.

Neither of the two major drug shortages/discontinuations databases (FDA and ASHP) indicate that Teva clonazepam has been discontinued.

[Li...]
1 hour ago, [[E...] said:

I have a mix of the Teva and Advagen on hand but will only be able to get the Advagen going forward I suspect. Can I alternate these or should I use up one the Teva first? I'm just now seeing that they are not likely exactly interchangeable. I have some extra Tevas bc of my tapering.

AdvaGen is one of the newer clonazepam generics.  Marketing for it started in April 2022. 

Have you asked your doctor if they would be willing to write a DAW (Dispense As Written) prescription for Teva clonazepam (if that is the generic you are accustomed to and prefer)?  You also might need to find a pharmacy that stocks your preferred generic.  My experience is that smaller, independently owned pharmacies are more open to doing this than big chain pharmacies.

When tapering, any change should be made as gradually as possible.  Switching generics is a change so I suggest you develop a plan to ‘ease into’ using the AdvaGen given your daily dosing schedule and supply of Teva.  I also suggest you hold your dose constant while you make the switch.

[Er...]
On 02/04/2024 at 18:28, [[L...] said:

Where did you read this?  Here?  If so, were you perchance reading an old thread from 2018?  If elsewhere, please let us know where so we can investigate further.

Neither of the two major drug shortages/discontinuations databases (FDA and ASHP) indicate that Teva clonazepam has been discontinued.

I saw it a couple of places on line (not sure where); however, it very well could have been old information.  

• Like 1

[Li...]

ASHP is reporting the following (last updated on Mar 22, 2024):

“Teva has clonazepam 0.5 mg tablets in 500 count bottles and 1 mg tablets in 100 count bottles on intermittent back order and the company is releasing supplies as they become available. The 0.5 mg tablets in 100 count bottles are on back order and the company estimates a release date in mid- to late-July 2024. The 2 mg tablets in 100 count bottles are on back order and the company estimates a release date in early- to mid-July 2024.”

Perhaps what you read was referring to the above temporary shortages of the 100 count bottles of the 0.5mg and 2mg tablets?