Physical effects of emotions

[dj...]

First of all, let me just start by saying at this point, I think about 80% of my problems stem from the fact that my muscles simply cannot relax, and my neurologist says a lot of the inner vibration, electric current and “sensations” are likely due to my muscles screaming.  

Anyway, when you get upset or angry, do your muscles lock up?  I had an incident yesterday that caused me to get really ticked off and within seconds my abdomen completely tensed and locked up and it still hasn’t released yet.  It’s wildly uncomfortable and even a bit painful.  Also, this happens sometimes when I laugh really hard, although I don’t laugh hard often.  It’s like I have to stay as emotionally neutral as possible because of the effects on my muscles.  It’s not always like this but it comes and goes as is the nature of things. 

Anyone else?

Edited by [dj...]

[Ma...]

Hi @[dj...] Yes. I was shocked a number of months back how any strong emotion would basically assault my entire system. Even if it was just a strong thought. Any thought.

I would just tell self, Go neutral, stay in neutral territory; Mind like the Sky…

• Like 1

[An...]
59 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

First of all, let me just start by saying at this point, I think about 80% of my problems stem from the fact that my muscles simply cannot relax, and my neurologist says a lot of the inner vibration, electric current and “sensations” are likely due to my muscles screaming.  

Anyway, when you get upset or angry, do your muscles lock up?  I had an incident yesterday that caused me to get really ticked off and within seconds my abdomen completely tensed and locked up and it still hasn’t released yet.  It’s wildly uncomfortable and even a bit painful.  Also, this happens sometimes when I laugh really hard, although I don’t laugh hard often.  It’s like I have to stay as emotionally neutral as possible because of the effects on my muscles.  It’s not always like this but it comes and goes as is the nature of things. 

Anyone else?

I feel for you @[dj...]. The muscles in my chest and stomach seem perpetually tense too. I can never seem to relax things fully in this area of my body. Ugh--🤬

[wi...]
1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

Even if it was just a strong thought. Any thought

Definitely. 

[WU...]

It is not really the muscles though is it, it is the brain controlling the muscles which is temporarily going berserk over the slightest thing. For me it is the muscles in the head and face, absolutely excruciating after nearly 13 months.   I don't think there is anything we can do until the brain sorts itself out.  

• Like 1

[Th...]

These benzos are muscle relaxers and when we withdraw,  the muscles tighten up waiting for more benzos. I am 3 months out and I'm still tight as a drum. But yes, stress will cause your muscles to clench more. 

[Ka...]

@[dj...] I went to a cranial oesteopath a while back who noticed tension (aka anxiety) especially below my ribs & eased this saying “your sympathetic nervous system needed some work!” This makes sense to me. I think we hold bits of ourselves when they need to relax especially abdominal muscles & for me always jaw area. 

Edited by [Ka...]
Missed out a word

[dj...]

Deep down these are all physical effects of anxiety and stress, but they’re just heightened 100x.  

• Like 1

[dj...]
1 hour ago, [[W...] said:

It is not really the muscles though is it, it is the brain controlling the muscles which is temporarily going berserk over the slightest thing. For me it is the muscles in the head and face, absolutely excruciating after nearly 13 months.   I don't think there is anything we can do until the brain sorts itself out.  

I don’t know the exact answer to this.  I had an EMG done.  Came back normal.  I also did a nerve conduction study which was also normal.  

No, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with our muscles, so yes I guess the brain is controlling all this.  But, the muscles do get insanely tight and stiff, so it’s not the brain just misinterpreting everything.  It’s very real tension and pain.  

For me, the muscles in my abdomen and head are easily the worst, although it does strike every other part of my body.  Really, the head is the worst.  If you have pressure and pain in your head, everything becomes miserable.  Can’t think, mood sucks.  More localized pain/tension elsewhere is a lot easier to separate from your perception of everything.  At least that’s my experience. 

• Like 1

[WU...]

It always amazes me that people try stretching which to me is pointless as the muscles are tight because of the brain's signalling, or lack of signalling. The brain controls everything, that is why they developed this drug in the first place. They found a way to override the brain's signal. 

Just recently started to get pain in the upper chest, breast bone area and so I can sympathise with your abdomen. But I agree the head is the absolute worst.

Now we are all in a waiting game. It is utterly miserable. On the other hand if there is nothing we can actually do about it then we just have to sit it out for however long. We've all been given a prison sentence with no release date and no time off for good behaviour either

[dj...]
2 hours ago, [[W...] said:

Not to discourage anyone but I’m almost 18 months out and it’s worse than ever.  I’ve had it all along but this was far less of an issue at 6 months out.  My mental stuff is better though. 

There was a thread about this maybe 4-5 months ago and there were three people that had pretty much healed and said their muscles started loosening up in that 18-24 month mark.  Everyone’s timeline is different though.  

I have tizanidine, which is a muscle relaxer that’s a cousin to Clonidine.  It provides slight relief, but it also puts me to sleep.  I’ll take it on occasion if the muscle stuff is so bad that I can’t sleep. 

[dj...]
Just now, [[W...] said:

It always amazes me that people try stretching which to me is pointless as the muscles are tight because of the brain's signalling, or lack of signalling. The brain controls everything, that is why they developed this drug in the first place. They found a way to override the brain's signal. 

Just recently started to get pain in the upper chest, breast bone area and so I can sympathise with your abdomen. But I agree the head is the absolute worst.

Now we are all in a waiting game. It is utterly miserable. On the other hand if there is nothing we can actually do about it then we just have to sit it out for however long. We've all been given a prison sentence with no release date and no time off for good behaviour either

It’s absolutely the brain overriding all this.  Stretching, meditation, warm baths, breathing and other relaxation techniques really don’t help.  If they do, it’s incredibly temporary.  I’ve actually found that they help most when my body is more relaxed and can respond more normally…which is of course when I don’t need it. 

My sister doesn’t understand any of this, and she tells me every time I see her that yoga will fix me right up. 
Even my psychiatrist, who wrote that big paper on BIND last year, doesn’t really get it.  It’s pretty hard to fathom in case you’ve lived it.  Completely at the mercy of whatever direction your brain wants to go.  

• Like 1

[WU...]

Ha, I tried some yoga and my spine went crazy with throbbing so I had to stop. Yoga isn't going to help a brain injury, could even make it much worse by overstimulating things.

I seem to have it as bad as you so I believe everything you say is accurate. The brain is the thing that has been injured so it is the brain that needs to heal. Warm baths and meditation, don't make me laugh!  

[dj...]

I don’t know if this happens to anyone else but maybe once a week or so I’ll have unbearable tension and pain for about 24 hours, and then I’ll feel this sort of cool, tired feeling wash over me.  Sometimes I’ll actually fall asleep for a few minutes.  But when I come to all the tension/pain is gone.  I’ll feel kind of stoned and tired for an hour afterwards.  

Whatever is going on, it’s clear there was a signal to release some natural GABA or opioids or something.  Unfortunately, everything returns to a lesser degree after a few hours or the next day.  It would be fascinating if there were brain scans monitoring all this stuff.  

Wu Wei, to your point, the brain is clearly in control here.  When it’s withholding the natural lubricant for your muscles, you’re pretty much screwed.  

[ns...]
10 hours ago, [[d...] said:

Anyone else?

Sounds exactly like me!

Everything gets intense with any emotion! Even happy ones.

I'm so sorry your having this djej2010.

The squeezing started in my arms, to my thighs, upper back,neck, shoulder blades, abdomen and then diaphragm to chest.

I'm numb, even my mouth, throat, legs, from the waste down. 

I'm seeing neurologist Tuesday. Did neurologist do anything for you?

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Addition

[dj...]
6 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Sounds exactly like me!

Everything gets intense with any emotion! Even happy ones.

I'm so sorry your having this djej2010.

The squeezing started in my arms, to my thighs, upper back,neck, shoulder blades, abdomen and then diaphragm to chest.

I'm numb, even my mouth, throat, legs, from the waste down. 

I'm seeing neurologist Tuesday. Did neurologist do anything for you?

Ns

The neurologist just ordered a bunch of tests.  MRI, EMG, nerve conduction study.  All came back normal.  

He gave me a muscle relaxer called tizanidine which is a cousin of Clonidine which is used for blood pressure and sometimes anxiety.  It doesn’t do much except put me to sleep.   

[ns...]
1 minute ago, [[d...] said:

The neurologist just ordered a bunch of tests.  MRI, EMG, nerve conduction study.  All came back normal.  

He gave me a muscle relaxer called tizanidine which is a cousin of Clonidine which is used for blood pressure and sometimes anxiety.  It doesn’t do much except put me to sleep.   

I couldn't take titazadine or any other muscle relaxers but that's typical. I don't know there's much they can do but e

Reassurance is good to have. Just need to know there's nothing else going on right?

Of course if there were something, anything that could provide relief that would be great, for me, nothing had worked except changing my focus and keeping myself busy as I can, staying as positive as possible. I know one day we'll get to the end of this road and onto a new beginning!

Ns

[dj...]

I’ve tried many other medications (antidepressants, Buspar, anticonvulsants) and couldn’t tolerate any of them.  I can tolerate tizanidine no problem though.  But it’s not very helpful. 

• Like 1

[wi...]
6 hours ago, [[W...] said:

always amazes me that people try stretching which to me is pointless as the muscles are tight because of the brain's signalling, or lack of signalling. The brain controls everything, that is why they developed this drug in the first place. They found a way to override the brain's signal. 

People who suggest stretching are not dealing with these type of muscle issues or they would know it doesn’t work.

[WU...]
11 hours ago, [[w...] said:

these type of muscle issues

My point is these are not muscle issues, there is nothing wrong with the muscles. They are tight because the signal from the brain to relax is not there. If people get some benefit from stretching then of course that is a good thing but they often say it is only a temporary . 

13 hours ago, [[d...] said:

the brain is clearly in control here.  When it’s withholding the natural lubricant for your muscles,

100% agree

Edited by [WU...]

[dj...]
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, [[w...] said:

People who suggest stretching are not dealing with these type of muscle issues or they would know it doesn’t work.

It’s really not that hard to comprehend that brain function (likely GABA receptors in this case) can be severely compromised.  I think a lot of doctors, especially psychiatrists, have trouble wrapping their heads around this.  I think many believe you can jumpstart the GABA receptors with things like meditation, yoga, etc.  I’ve been at this long enough to know any relief is incredibly temporary and it’s not going to stop bad waves from coming.  

What these docs are telling us is akin to telling a Parkinson’s patient that they can cure themselves by enhancing their dopamine function via exercise and other relaxing/rewarding activities.  No you can’t.  Some of that stuff may temporarily alleviate symptoms but it’s not stopping Parkinson’s. 

Edited by [dj...]
  • Like 1

[Gi...]
On 23/03/2024 at 14:11, [[A...] said:

I feel for you @[dj...]. The muscles in my chest and stomach seem perpetually tense too. I can never seem to relax things fully in this area of my body. Ugh--🤬

How long have you been off @[An...] if I may ask? I can see you joined NB in 2009? 

[Ma...]

@[dj...]do you also have the weakness OR only the tension, here 15 months off and nothing better muscle nerve wise. Have you spoken to ppl who do heal from this, Ans if so can u refer me to Them? I only bump into ppl severly protracted with these symptoms and IT makes me scares

[dj...]
16 hours ago, [[M...] said:

@[dj...]do you also have the weakness OR only the tension, here 15 months off and nothing better muscle nerve wise. Have you spoken to ppl who do heal from this, Ans if so can u refer me to Them? I only bump into ppl severly protracted with these symptoms and IT makes me scares

No I don’t have weakness really.  Every so often when the tension gets really bad, all of a sudden I can feel this sort of cool, tired feeling wash over me like someone is shooting a Xanax into my veins and the muscles will then relax.  It’s wild.  My brain is trying to figure this out but just cand do it consistently.  

[dj...]
1 hour ago, [[d...] said:

No I don’t have weakness really.  Every so often when the tension gets really bad, all of a sudden I can feel this sort of cool, tired feeling wash over me like someone is shooting a Xanax into my veins and the muscles will then relax.  It’s wild.  My brain is trying to figure this out but just cand do it consistently.  

Funny.  My tension was horrific this morning, and 5 minutes after typing this, I got incredibly tired and my natural GABA kicked in.  Now I just feel stoned.