Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Physical effects of emotions

[Gi...]
On 23/03/2024 at 18:22, [[K...] said:

@[dj...] I went to a cranial oesteopath a while back who noticed tension (aka anxiety) especially below my ribs & eased this saying “your sympathetic nervous system needed some work!” This makes sense to me. I think we hold bits of ourselves when they need to relax especially abdominal muscles & for me always jaw area. 

This muscle tension is neurological not psychological. Yes anxiety, stress and overstimulation all increase adrenaline therefore worsening muscle tension however this muscle tension persists and often is worse at rest when we want to relax this is because It has to do with the brain signal being all over the place unfortunately which in time should reset.

Edited by [Gi...]
  • Like 1

[Gi...]
On 23/03/2024 at 14:11, [[A...] said:

I feel for you @[dj...]. The muscles in my chest and stomach seem perpetually tense too. I can never seem to relax things fully in this area of my body. Ugh--🤬

@[An...] May I ask how long have been off the benzo please. I see you joined the forum back in 2009.

[Gi...]
On 23/03/2024 at 13:08, [[d...] said:

First of all, let me just start by saying at this point, I think about 80% of my problems stem from the fact that my muscles simply cannot relax, and my neurologist says a lot of the inner vibration, electric current and “sensations” are likely due to my muscles screaming.  

Anyway, when you get upset or angry, do your muscles lock up?  I had an incident yesterday that caused me to get really ticked off and within seconds my abdomen completely tensed and locked up and it still hasn’t released yet.  It’s wildly uncomfortable and even a bit painful.  Also, this happens sometimes when I laugh really hard, although I don’t laugh hard often.  It’s like I have to stay as emotionally neutral as possible because of the effects on my muscles.  It’s not always like this but it comes and goes as is the nature of things. 

Anyone else?

I get this too @[dj...].

When I laugh my abs knot and they are sore. When I speak I can feel my muscles in my torso and back moving, sometimes tightening or twitching. It is awful.

How long have you been off the benzo if I may ask?

• Like 1

[dj...]
43 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

I get this too @[dj...].

When I laugh my abs knot and they are sore. When I speak I can feel my muscles in my torso and back moving, sometimes tightening or twitching. It is awful.

How long have you been off the benzo if I may ask?

18 months now.  I have a 20+ year history with benzos and am severely kindled with multiple reinstatements. Bad tapers.  Did pretty much everything wrong. 

• Like 1

[Ka...]
45 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

This muscle tension is neurological not psychological. Yes anxiety, stress and overstimulation all increase adrenaline therefore worsening muscle tension however this muscle tension persists and often is worse at rest when we want to relax this is because It has to do with the brain signal being all over the pace unfortunately which in time should reset.

Wherever the tension arises from I am confident the cranial osteopath assisted me in a holistic way. I think this approach is hugely beneficial. Well it was in my experience. I’m actually thinking before taking any benzo. Regular treatment identified areas of tension, for example neck, back etc & by adjusting & tweaking very gently the cranial osteopath calmed the sympathetic nervous system. It worked for me. 

• Like 1

[Gi...]
4 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

18 months now.  I have a 20+ year history with benzos and am severely kindled with multiple reinstatements. Bad tapers.  Did pretty much everything wrong. 

Did you see any improvement with muscles at all?

[ns...]
1 hour ago, [[G...] said:

Do any.of you get relief when you are sleeping. Odd question, I don't quite  know how to ask it and describe this  

I've noticed that I'm able to sleep. There are no symptoms aside from when I wake up and try to get comfortable again. But why is it that we're able to sleep with no real serious symptoms, at least for me.

Our brain is asleep I guess so it would make sense that it's all neurological but it seems odd to me just the same. 

Even clearing my throat, talking, causes symptoms, like electrical vibrations sort of that run through me. Neurologist says he wants to see how I'm doing after taper is over! Wasn't much help. I've had the eegs and other tests but no new MRIs. Offered TMS but i have trigeminal neuralgia and tms could stir it up again, no thanks. 

Djej2010, you've described these symptoms to the letter which does help me some, knowing I'm not the only one, but I'm still tapering! Can't help but to wonder what will this be like when I'm finished tapering? The drug only gives me more symptoms and their getting more and more difficult to live with!

I'm glad you guys picked this thread back up. It's reminded me that what I'm going through is withdrawal which strangely enough gives me hope! Hope that I don't have some horrible neurological disease and that one day i will be normal again whatever that is.

Ns

[dj...]
2 hours ago, [[G...] said:

No the muscle stuff has gotten a lot worse.  Really went to a different level at 12 months off.  I need to be taking care of myself better.  I’m pushing myself too much and it keeps setting me back further. 

My mental symptoms have gotten better.  The random panic, anxiety, OCD, paranoia, etc has subsided a lot. I still have horrific anxiety but I know a lot of that is because I feel so bad physically.  It’s usually because I have to take care of my kids and feel like utter hell and worry that I won’t be able to do things.  

[ns...]
17 hours ago, [[d...] said:

No the muscle stuff has gotten a lot worse.  Really went to a different level at 12 months off.  I need to be taking care of myself better.  I’m pushing myself too much and it keeps setting me back further. 

My mental symptoms have gotten better.  The random panic, anxiety, OCD, paranoia, etc has subsided a lot. I still have horrific anxiety but I know a lot of that is because I feel so bad physically.  It’s usually because I have to take care of my kids and feel like utter hell and worry that I won’t be able to do things.  

I'm sorry your going thru so much. It's hard not to push yourself, it's survival instinct I guess. I didn't know you had children to care for. 

Try not to push to hard. Pace yourself as much as you can

You're going to get there. It's time!

Prayers for you 

Ns

[At...]
On 12/04/2024 at 14:04, [[G...] said:

This muscle tension is neurological not psychological. Yes anxiety, stress and overstimulation all increase adrenaline therefore worsening muscle tension however this muscle tension persists and often is worse at rest when we want to relax this is because It has to do with the brain signal being all over the pace unfortunately which in time should reset.

Yes, actually SO many illnesses can be attributed, at least in part, to prolonged stress and anxiety.  The cortisol and adrenalin were not intended to to be running thru the body for extended periods, often many months or years. Yet the resulting illnesses are very physical.  I guess that's why we need to do a lot of self care: diet, exercise, meditation etc can really offset the withdrawal anxiety long term effects. 

I would love to hear how you use self care. I'm not very consistent with it unfortunately.   You're a survivor too, by the sound of it.  x

[Re...]
On 23/03/2024 at 06:08, [[d...] said:

First of all, let me just start by saying at this point, I think about 80% of my problems stem from the fact that my muscles simply cannot relax, and my neurologist says a lot of the inner vibration, electric current and “sensations” are likely due to my muscles screaming.  

Anyway, when you get upset or angry, do your muscles lock up?  I had an incident yesterday that caused me to get really ticked off and within seconds my abdomen completely tensed and locked up and it still hasn’t released yet.  It’s wildly uncomfortable and even a bit painful.  Also, this happens sometimes when I laugh really hard, although I don’t laugh hard often.  It’s like I have to stay as emotionally neutral as possible because of the effects on my muscles.  It’s not always like this but it comes and goes as is the nature of things. 

Anyone else?

I can't get past this explanation from a neurologist. I am sorry this doctor treated you this way. Have you had your vitamin B levels checked including the more rare B vitamins? I highly doubt this is the issue but good to rule out.

• Like 1

[Gi...]
8 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Yes, actually SO many illnesses can be attributed, at least in part, to prolonged stress and anxiety.  The cortisol and adrenalin were not intended to to be running thru the body for extended periods, often many months or years. Yet the resulting illnesses are very physical.  I guess that's why we need to do a lot of self care: diet, exercise, meditation etc can really offset the withdrawal anxiety long term effects. 

I would love to hear how you use self care. I'm not very consistent with it unfortunately.   You're a survivor too, by the sound of it.  x

I agree that many illnesses are attributable to long term stress and anxiety however the muscles that lock up and pull sorry but this is due to the signal being disrupted or dopamine disregulation.

My muscles will tighten even when I relax and laugh. They are hyperexcitable. This has only happened in withdrawal.

Of course stress and anxiety may well exacerbate it but this symptom is not caused by anxiety. It is chemically induced by neurotransmitters and receptors down regulation.

The vibrations and tremors are related to dopamine imbalances similar to Akathisia, dystonia and dyskinesia. In fact a lot of this pulling, jerking and squeezing are a type of withdrawal induced movement disorders.

• Like 1

[At...]

Thanks for your input! I agree with what you're saying. When I said " anxiety" I meant the neurotransmitter

On 12/04/2024 at 14:04, [[G...] said:

On 14/04/2024 at 03:16, [[G...] said:

I agree that many illnesses are attributable to long term stress and anxiety however the muscles that lock up and pull sorry but this is due to the signal being disrupted or dopamine disregulation.

My muscles will tighten even when I relax and laugh. They are hyperexcitable. This has only happened in withdrawal.

Of course stress and anxiety may well exacerbate it but this symptom is not caused by anxiety. It is chemically induced by neurotransmitters and receptors down regulation.

The vibrations and tremors are related to dopamine imbalances similar to Akathisia, dystonia and dyskinesia. In fact a lot of this pulling, jerking and squeezing are a type of withdrawal induced movement disorders.

I agree. I was referring to the neurotransmitters involved rather than the resulting feeling.  Anxiety is very physical.

Yes, I agree that dopamine imbalances are likely at the root of a number of withdrawal related symptoms. I have a motor neurone disease  (Primary Lateral Sclerosis,  pretty rare) In my own case the clonazepam helped to relieve some of the jerking muscles as well as chronic anxiety and panic attacks  (since I was 5). However I was left on it at 0.5 mg  3x a day for 25 years! So now I struggle with deciding which symptoms are caused by which thing: issues related to being high dosed on C for far too long, withdrawal or the PLS.  Actually does it matter? It's all b annoying!  Haha

On 23/03/2024 at 10:08, [[d...] said:

Anyone else?

I noticed something similar with my son, all his limbs become stiff when he's very upset or angry, sometimes to the point of not being able to walk or even feeling his body. It ebbs away in a few minutes and he regains normal mobility as if nothing has happened.

The thing is, it seems to have gone away now, it hasn't happened in quite a while, emotions are still intense but they don't give him muscle symptoms anymore. I guess it's just another stage of wd?

On 23/03/2024 at 10:08, [[d...] said:

Anyone else?

I noticed something similar with my son, all his limbs become stiff when he's very upset or angry, sometimes to the point of not being able to walk or even feeling his body. It ebbs away in a few minutes and he regains normal mobility as if nothing has happened.

The thing is, it seems to have gone away now, it hasn't happened in quite a while, emotions are still intense but they don't give him muscle symptoms anymore. I guess it's just another stage of wd?