Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Can I take Gabapentin to relieve nerve pain?

[Tr...]

[Tr...]

Been in severe withdrawal from lexapro for 7 months, had to take a few Xanax 1mg, stopped it because I didn’t want to abuse it and in just 3 days I’m in full

blown akathisia. Horrific nerve pain and cortisol spikes when I lay down and I can’t sleep at all because of the pain. 

I’m trying to stick it out to do a Nuerorecover protocol on Sunday but we have to drive up 16 hours to Indiana. I may need to go to the ER now but I fear that they won’t release me and put me on more drugs. 

have tried clonidine, CBD, medical THC, and take Propalonol as well 15mg. I feel like I’m dying

Edited by [Tr...]

[Tr...]

Edited. Gabapentin for nerve pain or is nervous system too inflamed? 

[Pa...]

Hello @[Tr...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Oh my goodness, you sound just awful, I'm so sorry you're suffering.  May I ask, have you taken benzodiazepines in the past or was this your first time?  Do you suspect the Xanax exacerbated your condition, or do you believe its just a continuation of your Lexepro withdrawal?

May I also ask about the timeline of the other medications and substances you've used to help, have they been one at a time or as a group and how long has it been since you tried them?

I apologize for all of the questions, we're just trying to get a better idea of what has transpired.

@[Pa...]

[Co...]

Hello @[Tr...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Although most of those medications are not benzodiazepines, some of our members might be able to provide you with some feedback. Particularly about Lexapro (an antidepressant).

When did you stop taking Xanax?

[Th...]

Sorry you are suffering badly, but ERs are for life threatening stabilizing care, not the treatment of withdrawal caused by Benzos or other drugs.  They will most likely tell you that the "drugs are out of your system" so the Lexapro is not the cause of your symptoms and that you have some other condition or illness for which they will most likely prescribe or suggest a Benzo or AD?  In addition, they will probably refer you to a psychologist that will take the same course of action as almost all MDs and psychologists do not recognize or believe in withdrawal, especially Benzo withdrawal.  I found this out the hard way by visiting 4 different ERs in 4 different cities over a 6 week period. Peace! 

Edited by [Th...]

[Br...]

@[Tr...] - Welcome to BenzoBuddies.  I'm so sorry you're suffering so much.  I don't know the answer to whether gabapentin would be helpful to you but I suggest you do a Search of the forum using the Search box in upper right corner of this page.  You may also get responses if you post your question about whether gabapentin would be helpful on the Benzodiazepine Withdrawal, Use & Recovery forum. 

As @[Pa...] asked you, have you ever started and stopped benzos before?  Answering this and the other questions will help us have a better idea of what's going on with you so we can come up with answers about what will help you.

We're glad you're here!

[Tr...]
Posted (edited)

6 years ago I took klonopin for a few weeks and cold turkeyed. been tapering off lexapro for 7 years from 20mg. 

i have this horrific pain under my sternum that is making me suicidal and it doesn’t stop. I don’t know what to do and I’m so scared. 

Edited by [Tr...]

[Th...]

I tried Gabapentin for sleep and also to see if it could ease my symptom intensity.  It didn't work for either one.  However, everyone is different so it might work for you?  ADs and Benzos really wreak havoc on our central nervous systems.  Have you had other tests done to rule out what else besides withdrawal might be the cause of your sternum pain?  For peace of mind maybe look into ruling out any serious condition or illness.  Pretty confident it's all withdrawal related.  Peace!

[Fi...]

I    do not like to say too much about medication...when I    was in a wave I    listened to a podcast from a Benzo coach and I    was convinced I    needed medicine to get better.  I    took one dose of Lexapro which through me into I    do not even know what, mania perhaps (this was 4.5 years protracted so I    was convinced I    needed it)?  Then ended up with a 2mg Ativan injection in  the ER...which put me back into acute withdrawals or worse even, it was so horrific.  The pain was so bad I    was falling asleep standing up, I    felt like I    was burning alive.  I    then became so rigid that I    could barely walk.  I    was told I     had a nervous breakdown.  Which is possible...but I    was not stiff like that before the one Lexapro dose.  I    just kept praying to the Lord and walking around the psych ward saying how scared I     was, the akathisia was unbearable---tried to lay down to keep moving in bed but was so tired I     could not keep my eyes open.  I    begged for a neurologist, they refused to let me see a physician.  I    was fighting for my life literally...  

I    do not want to scare anyone, I    am only saying this because when we are vulnerable and listen to others, especially those who do not know about our specific case it can be catastrophic.  I    was in the hospital for 3.5 weeks, I    ended up consulting with Patricia Halligan from the psych ward that I    was admitted to involuntarily...I    want you to keep in mind I    have pre existing mental health problems, rather severe...so I    understand why they admitted me.  But the benzodiazepines definitely made everything so much worse for me all around, from the beginning I    wish I    had never taken them.  I    am in a valium taper now, and actually do take Gabapentin, but this was recommended by Patrician Halligan, she collaborated with my treating psychiatrist.  It helps me very much, but it took some time to.  About 3-4 doses and then I  was able to notice the difference when it wore off.  If it is possible, my suggestion would be to consult with Patricia Halligan or someone like her.  My Medicare Part B benefits reimbursed me for about half the consult fee for the out of network doctor.  

I    wish you well and relief soon.  I    have just dropped my valium by 1.76% and after day 5 vertigo started, now nerve burning and in bed day 8.  Woke up in terror, sensitive to light and sound...the works.  It was my own fault, I    was feeling badly and just assumed I     could continue on with daily activities.  I    must be more careful not to trigger this next time I    drop.  I    hope to stabilize soon.

Love,

Fiercelady

Edited by [Fi...]
typo

[Pa...]
6 hours ago, [[T...] said:

i have this horrific pain under my sternum that is making me suicidal and it doesn’t stop.

If you are having thoughts of self harm, please seek help from your family, friends or local community resources.  This is a common symptom but we don't allow its discussion on our platform because its triggering to the community and our volunteer staff is not qualified to address this subject.  Please see our policy below.

Although we deeply sympathize with those experiencing suicidal feelings or ideation, to protect the sensitivities of the greater majority of our members - and most importantly, for your own safety - discussions and commentary regarding suicide, suicide ideation, self-harm, or threats of self-harm are not allowed at this forum. If you experience such feelings or thoughts, you must contact your doctor or other suitable healthcare practitioner. You will find more information at our Suicide, Self-Harm & Threatening Behavior webpage.

• Like 1

[kn...]

Be careful with the Gaberntin.  I've tried to take it at different doses three times now and have had to discontinue each of those times.  I found the stuff to be somewhat of a 'miracle drug' in that my nervous system did well while on it,  but my nausea and other benzo WD symptoms ramped up badly.  It is also very easy to become physical dependent on the stuff and getting off is a bear.  The WD is as bad as the benzos, but doesn't last as long.  You've absolutely got to go with @[Pa...]'s advice regarding even thinking about that type of an 'out' to difficult and chronic pain et. al. I worked as a mental health consultant and ombudsman until I retired just before the pandemic. I spent many, many phone calls talking with clients about this same sort of thing.  It works.  These  folks have to be certified to do this, they're not average guys  off the streets.  Your therapist is also a good sounding board.  Make sure you trust them before even starting the conversation though.  They are, by law, mandatory reporters and you could wind up on a three day hold in the locked unit.  

Edited by [kn...]