Good Medicine..exercise

[or...]

[or...]

Here I am again with more exercise info, and it's only because of what it is doing for me during my taper (my taper history) and for anyone at all interested, I want to share. 

Most of all I want to say I understand some are so bad off they simply cannot exercise, let alone get out of bed.  I've read plenty about folks that have been abruptly taken off benzos, or tapered to fast because they were not as lucky as me to find BB and learn about slow tapers.  My heart hurts so much for folks in this situation, but the word is out that all heal, and to what extent I don't know, as everyone is different.

I want to encourage you.  I'm 71, and started before I got to BB with walking maybe 3 times a week weather permitting.  I also dropped my carbs to below 50 grams a day, lost 30 lbs, got "feeling" so much better.  But, I knew how the benzo was working against me so I came across BB, and found my answers to how I could taper slowly and succeed.  I knew I was hooked on C because I couldn't go without it, I'd tried a CT, and then later I was tapered too fast by a doc, and had some sort of seizsure, they called it a TIA though, would not even talk to me about the C except that they doubted that was the reason.

So now, I am 1 year into my taper, and been able to at least take walks, and then moved up to going to the gym, which I went there for 3 years, then wanted to save the money, and didn't enjoy it that much anyway.  Bought some bands and been doing them since December, '23.

This video I've stuck with until I felt "stable" lets say ;) My balance improved, my strength, and stamina.  I can do the whole workout, but 20 minutes can seem like an hour at first.  I just follow the video which is fast, but I can "pause" it to catch up, and I love her little timers that tell you when she will give a short preview of how to do the next exercise, then the count for me starts.  I only do what I can, I only go at my own speed, and I modify as needed.  For example: I do the girly type pushups only, so far.  There's no jumping in this one, but the strength I've gained feels way more than I got at the gym. Bottom line, don't do anything that is to hard, even modified, pick and choose what you can do ;)

Here's the video I do for now:  Workouts for 20 minutes

I'd most like to hear why you "can" do something, than the reasons you can't.  There are plenty of threads about the latter, but I'd like to encourage anyone reading to think about what you may be able to do, or even "can" do.  We that can do, can encourage others here and I think it would be so good to have more threads like this  :balloon: Please join me on your good days, I'm having one or I wouldn't have posted it, so I have my "no can do" days, I understand so well ;)

PS Walking for at least 30 minutes often, is still my fave exercise. Lots of fresh air, and have strengthened my legs, more muscle, then I've ever had in my life.  It's never to late, and if we are able, we can "move it" and avoid "losing it" ;) oregonlady :hug:

PS there lots more videos to follow that are way easier, and if you have Youtube you can find something that suits you.  I'd love you sharing anything that is working for you ;) or anything you might like to try.  Resistance bands are convenient, and work, mine cost little for my first set I'll show you a pic. Questions? Don't hesitate to ask ;) resistancebandssmall.JPG.9b6db6a2d9e79387b20ea6cfec551ea2.JPG

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 2

[Ad...]

@[or...]Thanks for sharing the video. I've lost a lot of muscle mass and just walking around my yard is exhausting. I'm going to try this workout, just do as much as I can. It's encouraging to know it's working for you and that it's not too late, because I'm 6 years ahead of you, and we're at about the same point in our tapers. I've saved a bunch of chair exercises "for seniors" but haven't stuck with them. I think I've read that exercise helps burn off glutamate. 

Thanks again for the info and motivation!

• Love 1

[or...]
2 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

@[or...]Thanks for sharing the video. I've lost a lot of muscle mass and just walking around my yard is exhausting. I'm going to try this workout, just do as much as I can. It's encouraging to know it's working for you and that it's not too late, because I'm 6 years ahead of you, and we're at about the same point in our tapers. I've saved a bunch of chair exercises "for seniors" but haven't stuck with them. I think I've read that exercise helps burn off glutamate. 

Thanks again for the info and motivation!

Just the fact you are trying is encourages me to keep trying as well.  I'm far from perfect, and when I lost the weight, I lost some muscle I'm sure.  I also got a lot of loose skin so that drove me to want to try some muscle building. No, I know ladies older than both of us that are doing it.

I feel so good when I hear that 20 min. bell, and know I made it, not perfectly, but I spent the 20 minutes, with little breaks she gives you, trying ;)  I like to do it before my morning shower, but after I eat breakfast.  Everyone can find their way, and I wish I'd filmed my first few tries, omg!!  Come here though and I'll encourage you ;) because I've gotten better, gradually.  I've also learned what to do for sore muscles ;) oregonlady :hug: