Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Looking for advice three months off temazepam after two months usage

[Jo...]

[Jo...]

I took temazepam (22.5 mg) for a total of nine weeks to manage insomnia due to having rebound insomnia from zquill. Initially, I was prescribed ambien and lorazepam. After five days, I transitioned to seroquel, and when that proved insufficient, temazepam was added. The entire duration of temazepam use was nine weeks, and the taper specifically involved a three-week process. Additionally, I tapered gabapentin (600 mg) over two weeks. I've been off both for three months.

During the taper, I incorporated supplements like 50mg CBN, Natures Sunshine Herbal Sleep, Natures Sunshine Nerve Eight, magnesium L threonate, L theanine, and chamomile tea. Currently, I take Hydroxyzine 75mg (halved from the original 150mg) and Dayvigo 5mg (halved from the original 10mg) for sleep. Though seeing improvements, I'm concerned about hindering healing, especially as some supplements may affect GABA receptors. However, it's worth noting that some doctors argue that supplements generally do not damage GABA receptors. For instance, the supplement apigenin, despite binding to GABA receptors, is believed to provide neuroprotective properties and enhance neuroplasticity.

I've scaled back on natural supplements and plan to try NAD nasal spray. Experiencing constant pressure in my forehead and unusual sensations in my teeth, I also take Vitamin D, DHEA, and glutathione for low levels and detox support. Unsure if these supplements and medications might impede healing or if my concerns are unwarranted, I aim to discontinue hydroxyzine this month. In conclusion, I'm concerned that these supplements have hindered my healing process, or am I just being paranoid with a benzo brain?

Edited by [Jo...]
Typos

[Ha...]

Hi @[Jo...]

I understand your concerns as we all want to get past this and heal. The thoughts of hindering your healing are obviously going to be niggling away at you. 

But I've never seen any evidence that supplement that have an effect on GABA have any negative effects on healing. In my personal opinion (I'm not a doctor) it's more of an issue that people can react badly to supplements. This has documented and blown out of proportion. Fed by a community of people with heightened anxiety. 

I believe rightly or wrongly that you need to calm your nervous system in order for it to heal. So if herbs help you achieve this then it's a good thing. 

As I mentioned though, some people can react badly and it's always best to be cautious.

• Like 1

[Jo...]

I don’t think I have had a bad reaction to any supplements. I started NAD+ nasal spray today hoping it will help out a little bit too. I was just nervous I was hindering my healing. 

• Like 1