Do we all heal ? To those who do not.

[Ma...]

[Ma...]

I Just had a discussion with baylissa as she blocked me from her page when i said not everyone heals. 

She asked me who is still suffering a lot after years and years. 

I told her i can give you a list of people more than 5 years off who are not even close to healing. Ofcourse she says, well than IT can happen in year 6-7-8-9-10,

But come on, is that true?

Please let me know if you allow me to put you in that list and respond .

I am not here focussing on the not healing because i am negative, i Just want to have insight, 

• Like 2

[Bu...]

I think everyone improves. The message of everyone heals is a lot to put on those who don’t fit into that box. I know not everyone gets better but it’s hard to know their lives and stories when it’s all self reported, of course I belive them but no one has the whole story 100% of the time. I think hope is important because it counteracts the fear within us. 

• Like 1

[Co...]

I think we can all improve over time to a certain extent, but I also don't believe everyone heals, many people have certain symptoms forever in any illness/chronic illness...

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Either way you have to focus on YOUR healing. Just yours and do everything in your power to support that healing.

I believe wholly that a positive mindset is crucial. Not every day, but you simply have to believe. You have to conjure the strength, tenacity and power within you.

Reading negative stories, creating negativity within is only going to-what? Have negative effects. It’s going to ADD stress to an already stressful situation.

Baylissa knows of what she speaks more than most. If she says everyone heals I believe her. When you say you have a list of people, how long is it? Do you realize over 5 million benzo prescriptions were given last year? Do you really believe you’re seeing the big picture here? Of course there are outliers in every aspect in life that are probably the .00000001%. Why are you focusing on this anomaly?

As the previous responses made clear, you don’t know everyone’s true story. Many, many factors can contribute to what may be ‘perceived’ as not healing.

Do you have a therapist? It might be helpful in reframing your thoughts and be beneficial. I only suggest this because it seems you really need some support, someone who can really help you, 1 on 1. I know my therapist has made just the biggest difference helping me through this. She’s my cheerleader rooting me to the finish line, she helps me improve my self esteem and she listens without judgement. A good therapist merely reflects what is already inside of you, something you just cannot see for now. They remind you of your ability to overcome and succeed in life.

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 4

[Co...]

That is amazing, Mary! I am on this poison because of my therapists lol so I am traumatized! But I mean I was a very very bad case, on this for no reason except cortisone withdrawal and my family, which I got for clogged ears, and seeking CBT therapy to help me deal with my symptoms then. A year ago when I first took this it damaged me immediately within the first couple of days. I could do nothing. I felt the electricity go out of my head and I could not eat, speak, walk, sleep for half a year. Now I can eat, I can speak, I can walk. So I have made progress. I don't think my brain will ever be the same again, but there has been healing. I could not play a boardgame or watch tv, now I can kinda sit in and watch a movie again, I can win at chess. There have been small improvements. 

• Wow 1

[Ms...]

I've never seen someone not improve over time. Full healing? I'm not sure. I don't hope for full healing anymore.

• Like 1

[Ma...]

@[Co...] How triumphant! Really! I was given these because my mother died a decade ago. I was immediately rendered stupid and vulnerable. And on it went being polydrugged and-dear god, it’s been horrendous.

The simple things in life, like reading a good book watching a RomCom just evaporate. Temporarily.

I couldn’t be happier to read all of the healing you’re experiencing. I really couldn’t. WTG! Triumphant, I say!

When we both get there we’ll be operating on such a higher level not only because the drug induced malfunction will be corrected, but I can tell you, things that used to bother me simply won’t. I will guffaw (love that word 😅)!

Until then I am trying to adapt, normalize the abnormal and find some living to do. I’ve gone to a new French bakery twice-turned in circles and I may have been drooling but I don’t care. The eclair was delicious 😋.

Please keep me posted on your continued progress!!

[Ma...]
1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

Either way you have to focus on YOUR healing. Just yours and do everything in your power to support that healing.

I believe wholly that a positive mindset is crucial. Not every day, but you simply have to believe. You have to conjure the strength, tenacity and power within you.

Reading negative stories, creating negativity within is only going to-what? Have negative effects. It’s going to ADD stress to an already stressful situation.

Baylissa knows of what she speaks more than most. If she says everyone heals I believe her. When you say you have a list of people, how long is it? Do you realize over 5 million benzo prescriptions were given last year? Do you really believe you’re seeing the big picture here? Of course there are outliers in every aspect in life that are probably the .00000001%. Why are you focusing on this anomaly?

As the previous responses made clear, you don’t know everyone’s true story. Many, many factors can contribute to what may be ‘perceived’ as not healing.

Do you have a therapist? It might be helpful in reframing your thoughts and be beneficial. I only suggest this because it seems you really need some support, someone who can really help you, 1 on 1. I know my therapist has made just the biggest difference helping me through this. She’s my cheerleader rooting me to the finish line, she helps me improve my self esteem and she listens without judgement. A good therapist merely reflects what is already inside of you, something you just cannot see for now. They remind you of your ability to overcome and succeed in life.

I think you are assuming a lot here which i Find  so polite . I dont need s therapist as all my issues are neurological nothing mentsl. I am 100% disabled and have caretakers to help me manage simpele stuff. 

Thank you and good luck on your journey. 

• Like 1

[Ma...]
51 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I've never seen someone not improve over time. Full healing? I'm not sure. I don't hope for full healing anymore.

Me neither Just to be Able to walk, dit in a chair and stand.

• Like 1

[Co...]

I do not believe in full healing either in my case. The damage was too extreme. I just hope to improve to a livable extent. If only my family had listened to me and my doctor instead of some dumb therapist.

• Like 2

[Md...]

This thread reads like, “You’re damned if you do, and you’re damned if you don’t.” It’s like tapering is a crapshoot. 

If that’s the case, what’s the point of tapering to begin with? To avoid the rare occurrence of tolerance withdrawal? 

Edited by [Md...]

[Co...]

I think to smooth out and more safely get off and not damage yourself even further? But I got extremely damaged in my first days using this like literally week 1 so I was tolerant immediately. 

[Nu...]
On 06/03/2024 at 19:08, [[M...] said:

If that’s the case, what’s the point of tapering to begin with? To avoid the rare occurrence of tolerance withdrawal? 

To be safe and minimize the risks associated with deprescription. Wouldn't you say??

I'd rather "just be safe" than the alternative... In my mind, wisdom advises caution.

[An...]
On 06/03/2024 at 06:02, [[M...] said:

I Just had a discussion with baylissa as she blocked me from her page when i said not everyone heals. 

She asked me who is still suffering a lot after years and years. 

I told her i can give you a list of people more than 5 years off who are not even close to healing. Ofcourse she says, well than IT can happen in year 6-7-8-9-10,

But come on, is that true?

Please let me know if you allow me to put you in that list and respond .

I am not here focussing on the not healing because i am negative, i Just want to have insight, 

I think you can recover from the benzo w/d experience but please remember that benzos were only being used to mask the SXs of the pre-existing condition you started taking the drugs for. Yes, the w/d can be horrendous but do not expect to magically feel better after getting off the drugs and going through w/d. Your pre-existing condition will often rear its ugly head again after the drug has been removed. Eat healthy, exercise as much as you can (mild to moderate), and try to eliminate as much stress from your life as you can.

• Like 1

[Md...]
19 hours ago, [[N...] said:

To be safe and minimize the risks associated with deprescription. Wouldn't you say??

I'd rather "just be safe" than the alternative... In my mind, wisdom advises caution.

Allow me to rephrase. What’s the point of discontinuing the medication, even if it’s done in a safe manner, and if all you see are people who tapered slowly, and are still stuck in benzo hell years later? 

It seems like most of the horror stories you read about tapering are often no different than the rare case of people who developed tolerance withdrawal or symptoms while on the medication as prescribed. Or the horror stories are from people who started tapering to begin with. 

You have dozens of people on these boards and in support groups claiming to have slowly and safely tapered, yet still are suffering even years later, hence all the people arguing with the statement, “We all heal”.

You also have people who have been taking benzos on a regular basis for half a lifetime who never had a single issue.

So this looks like a “pick your poison” situation to me.

Regarding the alternative…what is it? Stay on the medication and risk the rare case of tolerance withdrawal? 

If you don’t have an issue with the medication, been taking it for years, never had to increase your dose, and tolerate it well, tapering off benzos out of the fear of future complications is like refusing to drive a car out of fear of getting in a devastating car crash (which might actually be more likely). 

Unfortunately, there really is no “wisdom” when it comes to benzos, other than: never start them if you don’t have to, don’t cold turkey, and, “everyone is different” regarding side fx, symptoms, and healing (if you even want to consider that “wisdom”). 

Aside from that, no one has a clue (to a great extent, anyway) when it comes to these medications. No one has any idea why some people can take these meds for years and not have any issues, or why someone suffers tremendously when taking two years to taper off 5mg of Diazepam when they’ve been on it for only a few months. 

Apologies if this post sounds blunt, but i think the reality of the situation is that everyone is practically clueless when it comes to the complications of benzos. We just know that they can damage the CNS for some individuals, and the details as to why it happens to some and not all is the real conundrum, and is far beyond just a GABA/Glutamate imbalance. It’s more likely a Central Sensitization issue, and if it is, you’ll never have true wisdom regarding benzos, until scientists can figure out how to solve all the issues that stem from central sensitization.

Good luck with that one.

Edited by [Md...]

[Md...]
11 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Your pre-existing condition will often rear its ugly head again after the drug has been removed.

In that case, I may as well just stay on these meds perpetually. Living with a rare neuropathic condition that feels like your face is constantly in a vice grip and your teeth are being ripped out by an unseen force isn’t exactly ideal.

Everyone i know from support groups with this condition are on a slew of pharmaceuticals, plus benzos to control the pain. Unfortunately, some of them never even find relief through meds. And some take their own lives because of it. 

That being said, it’s quite possible that benzos saved my life when this condition first manifested.

Edited by [Md...]

[Nu...]

Hi @[Md...]. My main concern with staying on them is the instability of consistent treatment and not knowing when you're going to be ripped off by physicians who are too scared of a current landscape within the medical establishment. We're seeing that already. I'd be hesitant to place my faith in long-term prescriptions with that uncertainty.

Benzos are known to cause complications especially in older individuals. The risk of falls and cognitive decline is well established, I believe. My personal decision, for me, would be to address this earlier rather than later.

In my mind, the most appropriate way forward is to try and deprescribe correctly and, if unable to despite a slow, patient-led taper, then consider long-term use. We each have to make our own decision on what's right for us.

You're correct -- there is no real wisdom out there. The reason I used that quote still stands, though. Appreciate the engagement in discussion.

• Like 1

[Md...]
1 hour ago, [[N...] said:

Hi @[Md...]. My main concern with staying on them is the instability of consistent treatment and not knowing when you're going to be ripped off by physicians who are too scared of a current landscape within the medical establishment. We're seeing that already. I'd be hesitant to place my faith in long-term prescriptions with that uncertainty.

Benzos are known to cause complications especially in older individuals. The risk of falls and cognitive decline is well established, I believe. My personal decision, for me, would be to address this earlier rather than later.

In my mind, the most appropriate way forward is to try and deprescribe correctly and, if unable to despite a slow, patient-led taper, then consider long-term use. We each have to make our own decision on what's right for us.

You're correct -- there is no real wisdom out there. The reason I used that quote still stands, though. Appreciate the engagement in discussion.

Very valid points, and I also appreciate the engagement in discussion. Cheers!

[Md...]
1 hour ago, [[N...] said:

Btw, I see that you are making a series of benzo educational videos (good on you for that!), so i’ll ask you this question, if you don’t mind.

Do you have any plans on making a video about people who take benzos for rare pain conditions?

Also, what would you personally do if benzos were the only drug you could find that alleviated what many refer to as “suicide pain”? 

Edited by [Md...]

[Nu...]
35 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Btw, I see that you are making a series of benzo educational videos (good on you for that!), so i’ll ask you this question, if you don’t mind.

Do you have any plans on making a video about people who take benzos for rare pain conditions?

Also, what would you personally do if benzos were the only drug you could find that alleviated what many refer to as “suicide pain”? 

I am! I haven't planned this specifically, but there's no reason one couldn't be created. It would require research since I'm not familiar with the topic, though. My goal is to align with the literature.

Good question! Functionality and having some semblance of enjoyment is important, so I, personally, would be on benzos if they were beneficial and took me to a point of some level of functionality and enjoyment in life. Benzos hold therapeutic value and can't be declared as horrible. It's more about rational and appropriate use, you know?

Sorry to semi-hijack this thread! We digress...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Md...]
32 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

I am! I haven't planned this specifically, but there's no reason one couldn't be created. It would require research since I'm not familiar with the topic, though. My goal is to align with the literature.

Good question! Functionality and having some semblance of enjoyment is important, so I, personally, would be on benzos if they were beneficial and took me to a point of some level of functionality and enjoyment in life. Benzos hold therapeutic value and can't be declared as horrible. It's more about rational and appropriate use, you know?

Sorry to semi-hijack this thread! We digress...

Thanks for your feedback and honesty.

I personally would love to see a video on this, since there’s not much out there about it. I could provide you with all the research of these conditions as I’ve spent the last year studying the therapeutic effects of benzos, and would be more than happy to provide you with this information. Even better would be a way to find a treatment for these conditions that don’t require benzos. So far, science has failed. My guess is due to lack of funding for research, because these conditions are considered rare, but that could change. For example, 20 years ago fibromyalgia wasn’t even a thing, now it’s widely recognized. 

So LMK if this topic ever interests you and you feel like making a video on it. I’d be more than happy to help. 👍

Edited by [Md...]
  • Like 1

[An...]
13 hours ago, [[M...] said:

In that case, I may as well just stay on these meds perpetually. Living with a rare neuropathic condition that feels like your face is constantly in a vice grip and your teeth are being ripped out by an unseen force isn’t exactly ideal.

Everyone i know from support groups with this condition are on a slew of pharmaceuticals, plus benzos to control the pain. Unfortunately, some of them never even find relief through meds. And some take their own lives because of it. 

That being said, it’s quite possible that benzos saved my life when this condition first manifested.

@[Md...]..this "rare neuropathic condition" you have. What is it called?