Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Can insomnia be a symptom 3 years after stopping Klonopin?

[de...]

[de...]

Since the last three months, I have been having a hard time going to sleep. Sometimes, I keep one night awake, and then sleep 12-14 hours in one go. The problem didn't appear until 6,7 months ago, and I am Benzo-free for the last 3.5 years or so.

I was on Klonopin upto 4 mgs daily for 6,7 years (3 mgs usually daily, but 1 was prn). I had a fast taper, basically off it in 1 month. 

I still get panick attacks. Sometimes my hands go numb, but much less frequently than before or after withdrawing Klonopin. I am also having stomach problems as noted in the Ashton manual. 

[Th...]

Unfortunately some people take a long time to heal.  I've read stories where some people have healed at 10+ years out.  Did you take Benzos for sleep?  If so, healing from Benzos will not heal pre-existing conditions like insomnia.  I'm almost 8 years off and still get a poor night of sleep here and there, but nothing like the first year off after I jumped.  It's not uncommon to have late insomnia waves long after being off.  I've had some that lasted a few months at about 3.5 years off and a few weeks or more at 5 and 6 years off.

The fact that you sleep 12-14 hours after a night of no perceived sleep should give you hope.  It should even out over time.  What was your sleep like prior to this, during the past 3.5 years?

Peace!

[de...]
Just now, [[T...] said:

Unfortunately some people take a long time to heal.  I've read stories where some people have healed at 10+ years out.  Did you take Benzos for sleep?  If so, healing from Benzos will not heal pre-existing conditions like insomnia.  I'm almost 8 years off and still get a poor night of sleep here and there, but nothing like the first year off after I jumped.  It's not uncommon to have late insomnia waves long after being off.  I've had some that lasted a few months at about 3.5 years off and a few weeks or more at 5 and 6 years off.

The fact that you sleep 12-14 hours after a night of no perceived sleep should give you hope.  It should even out over time.  What was your sleep like prior to this, during the past 3.5 years?

Peace!

Hello, Thanks for your reply.

During the past 3.5 years it seemed fine. Usually get enough sleep each night. It all suddenly changed like a few months back. 

And, I didn't take benzos for sleep. I took them for anxiety. Which is why I also had a pretty high dose. 

But, strange things happened late. Initially, when I quit it, there were a different set of symptoms, and now there seem to be a different set of symptoms. For instance, panick attacks started like a year ago, and stomach issues even later. I don't know-- I am getting about most symptoms mentioned in the Ashton manual, but only some very, very late, like 3 years after quitting it, and some very early (like immediately after quitting it). 

[Ju...]

I'm almost 5 years off of 20 years worth of high-dose Klonopin and Valium, and I'm still having problems sleeping. I've noticed I sleep best when I get exercise outside throughout the day, and eat a huge protein packed meal before I go to sleep.

[em...]

So sports or walks in the fresh air could improve your sleep. My sleep got worse a few months ago when I was still in university. Unfortunately, I found https://stateofwriting.com/uk/do-my-assignment late and managed to use it several times. If I had found out about it sooner, I probably would have had more time to rest and my sleep would not have deteriorated

Edited by [em...]

[Th...]

At 3 years out, exercise and fresh air can definitely help with sleep.  Start slowly and see how you do?  You can always increase the amount (and intensity) of your exercise.  Peace.