Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Raw skin

[Pi...]

[Pi...]

Ive had this symptom for about the last eight months of my Cold Turkey 20 months out now. The palms of my hands look 100 years old no matter how much I moisturize them. I have other areas like the back of my ankles that have patches of raw itchy skin. Never bleeds or anything just raw and itchy. My big toenails were really bad cracking and dark but now actually seem to be healing and looking better although they are thick now. My right foot the nail seems to be growing in better. The left improving but still hard. Some days I will break out in hives on my arms or legs that will then go away as quickly as they came. The skin on my face looks much older but seems to be improving somewhat. Best of all my nose looks like it's sunburn at times not always and I have areas on the top of the bridge where my skin has age creases that get raw go away and then reappear later. Nothing ever bleeds like in the winter when your hands get chapped. Really odd. Anybody else with weird skin and nail issues? I also have had dry eyes for 3-4 years now that in the morning I need to put drops in them because they are halfway shut they are so dry. The further out I get my eyes are improving like everything else even though the doctor said it's and old age thing and my eyes were healthy. It's getting to the point that any issues I have I almost have to assume it's withdrawal. Brain fog, panic and fear issues not gone but at a tolerable level most of the time which is huge. Still major muscle tension everywhere and hard to exercise and even walk at times. Been quite a ride.

[WU...]

I'm 12 months out CT and I have very dry skin that I didn't have before. Soles of my feet, hands and face are all a bit flaky, very unusual as my face has always been on the oily side. My eyes still feel sore which is a sure sign of the nervous system being under par.  I put it all down to recovery, not old age!

• Like 1

[Ma...]

I actually lost the entire top layer of my skin. Yep, you read that right and it was excruciating.

When I was hospitalized in October the neurologist said my eye issues were because of age as well. I responded: maybe if I was 30 years older 🤦‍♀️! It’s now resolved.

I tell self, everything is regenerating, regrowing and soon time will be reversed and I will look better than ever!

Hopefully we all will!

• Like 1

[Pi...]

Mary1 : I'll be 69 the end of the month and my eye issues are also slowly resolving. It really is crazy!

[Ma...]

I know! Prior to hospital I was in Target trying to find hair bands as I hadn’t had my hair cut in over a year (disaster) and had to ask a GenZer to walk me to them 🤦‍♀️. I’m 58 and felt like 88…not like there’s anything wrong with that, but…🥹🙄

[Pi...]

Mary1 Been active and working out all my life. When I first CT couldn't walk around the block. I'm much improved maybe 50 to 60% back. I also have oily skin. In the summer its 2 showers a day. Have you experienced dark vision? When I come in from outside takes hours at times for my eyes to adjust. That has defiantly improved also.

[WU...]

Interested to know how you were at 12 months CT if you don't mind sharing? 

[Ma...]

@[Pi...] No, thank goodness my eyes have corrected themselves.

I was using a walker last fall and had to have in-home PT to learn to walk again. I still can’t even wrap my mind around that.

It’s absolutely unbelievable how these tiny pills just destroy your entire body. Your entire system collapses, for a better word.

I had to have dental surgery last Monday so now I am dizzy. Even laying down-dizzy. It’s absurd. And tragic.

I am SO GLAD you are 60% back! That’s really fantastic you are seeing clear improvement. Remind me, when was your CT?

For me, I am not even sure if this is w/d or the aftermath anymore. I honestly feel it’s just structural damage. I don’t know…🥹

[Pi...]

Mary1 and WuWei: I kind of had an advantage in a weird sort of way. If you read my previous posts you will know this is actually my third trip through this hell although this may be the worst as far as the length of time and symptoms. I have been a gym person most of my life and I think having a strong body has always helped. Muscles are gone and need to start over at this point. Cold turkeyed a stomach med in my 20's that was withdrawal #1 and was bad. Very similar symptoms. Doctors threw me to the wolves. An old nurse who was a friend of my mothers talked me through that one. Then my cardiologist who gave me Ambien for 15 years saying it was not additive :brickwall:to help with heart palpitations CT'd me because of the Opioid crisis like 10 years ago. I had just come out of an afib ablation and got that news. It's not about you they protect themselves. You are a secondary concern. I managed that fairly easy knowing what to expect. I don't think the Z drugs are as potent. CT'd the Xanax which I thought was a non issue because I used so little. Only on vacations and such to get some sleep. Whatever the reaction it was really bad. To answer your question WuWei the whole first year was really bad with every symptom being on steroids. 12 months was a slightly better mentally but physical symptoms were still really bad. At 14months less anxiety but fear and depression got worse. Maybe PTSD? That seems to be passing for now. Knowing somewhat what to expect helped me get through it but doesn't make it easier. Keeps you a little more sane. There is no easy way out and the doctors will just dig you a deeper hole to get out of. Be strong and stay the course. Forcing yourself to walk every day no matter how difficult will get you there faster. Also when you can't move see a good chiropractor. Tell them whats going on. They know the deal and it does help. Gotta run may be around later tonight. Keep healing!

• Like 1

[WU...]
1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

non issue because I used so little

Yes that is also what the GP's say. But now it appears there is no such thing as a small dose when it comes to these types of drugs, and possibly things are even worse when taken sporadically, or "as required" which they write on the prescriptions. 

I tried walking but it felt like a punishment rather than a pleasure while I am still suffering from such rigid muscles and head squeezing. I try to move around as much as I can at home and play with small movements which helps a bit.  Thanks for explaining your background, it helps to know how others are proceeding.