Diaphragm Tightness, Heart Palpatations

[ol...]

Hey everyone,

I've been having diaphragm tightness and heart palpitations daily -- this started out of nowhere around 18 months off Ativan. I'm not sure if they are heart palpitations, but it feels like something near my diaphragm is fluttering. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with this. From what I notice, it seems to be caused by gas that has gotten trapped somewhere in my body. I'll also feel this 'trapped gas' or whatever it is causing pain in my back and chest. It's scary because of its similarity to heart issues, though I know a visit to the doctor will likely be fruitless.

Has anyone had similar symptoms? How did you deal with them?

Thanks,

Oliveking

• 2 weeks later...

I get something similar, and for me personally it was related to anxiety. Which doesn't mean it wasn't "real".

What helped me the most was to develop acceptance that yes this is my body doing something, that is what it is going to do, and I am going to notice it and carry on with what I was doing. It was only when I managed to watch these symptoms with a detached mind, that they weakened.

This might sound dismissive, but it is NOT meant that way. I have been to the ER with my palpitations and to the doctor with diaphragm and breat bone pain myself.

I think the issue in this area is: Anxiety caused by the symptoms in this area, makes the symptoms worse, because this is where anxiety is often felt ("knot in the stomach"), which increases anxiety, and then you have a spiral.

[Bl...]

I get chest and diaphragm pain due to trapped gas in the night . 
I have to wear a gum shield due to chronic Bruxism due to Benzo’s and I find when I’m in a brux stage I grind and swallow a lot of air in my sleep … it sits in my chest and as I lay awake in the morning I hear and feel it gurgling there . 

[ol...]

Thanks for the replies everyone. Mine feels like @[Bl...] said, trapped gas. This symptom totally went away about a year ago, but it has just recently come back. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to mitigate symptoms?

[An...]

Hi,

You said you are 18 months off ativan. How long were you on ativan? Were you taking the ativan for an anxiety disorder management? Prior to ever starting benzos, what kinda SXs were you having that you took the ativan to treat? It is a little strange that this SX started 18 months after being off ativan. While you were on ativan and when you were tapering off the ativan, you did not have this SX, is that correct or not?

[Bl...]
8 hours ago, [[o...] said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Mine feels like @[Bl...] said, trapped gas. This symptom totally went away about a year ago, but it has just recently come back. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to mitigate symptoms?

I think it’s food related and to mitigate it trial and sometimes error . Use a food diary. Maybe a probiotic? Depending if you can tolerate supplements in your recovery . 
But so long as it goes away when you get moving and it comes and goes I’d not worry about it .