CBC Radio, Feb. 21/24: Weekly column by medical doctor highlights "What's so bad about benzos" and "What patients and physicians need to keep in mind about benzos"

[La...]

The various CBC Radio morning programs across Canada (there are many) have a weekly visit from a medical doctor -- usually Dr. Peter Lin, a family physician based in Toronto -- and the segment features a particular topic of interest. This past week, Dr. Lin covered benzodiazepines, which is not surprising, since the overprescription of benzodiazepines in Quebec has received a certain amount of coverage this week -- on TV (French and English networks) and now, on the radio. He essentially gives the same interview, one-by-one, as he talks to morning radio hosts across the country. I will post four of them here, which are the ones I was able to find with my initial search.

As you listen to the segment, you will be hit by the liberal use of the word "addiction" to describe what is actually "physical dependence". The doctor mentioned some risks and side effects of benzodiazepines, and he touched on the illicit drug supply, which is now tainted liberally by various new versions of untested and unapproved benzos. And at the end, he mentions that if one is concerned about a possible "addiction" to benzos, then one can just chat with their doctor, who can then put them on the right path.

I will post four versions of the interview below so that you can have a listen. As far as I can tell, they are essentially the same, with slight variations.

St. John's (Newfoundland) Morning Show with Krissy Holmes:

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-56-st-johns-morning-show/clip/16043875-dr.-peter-lin-told-patients-physicians-need-keep

Morning North with Markus Schwabe:

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-41-morning-north/clip/16043932-dr.-peter-lin-risks-associated-benzos

Information Morning -- Fredericton (New Brunswick) -- with Jeanne Armstrong:

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-25-information-morning-fredericton/clip/16043842-medical-column-benzos 

The Early Edition with Stephen Quinn:

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-91-the-early-edition/clip/16044040-whats-bad-benzos

Edited by [La...]
  • Like 3

Listening in UK, it is such a missed opportunity to have coverage of this important subject via these radio stations yet give misleading information. Sadly, it doesn’t help people on these meds, those tapering off, others who may be faced with taking them for short term benefit, or the wider audience. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, [[L...] said:

I hereby nominate you for the Benzo Blunder Finding Award of the Day @[La...]!  The doctor in this interview is even more off mark than the one in the interview our friends at @[...] blogged about (linked below).

Pity the poor patients who follow his advice:

For patients already on benzos, think to yourself “Am I using more and more? When I don’t take it, do I have withdrawal symptoms?” Those are signs of potential addiction. Just talk to your healthcare providers.  Tell them “I’m a bit worried I might have an addiction.  I might need some help.”  And just those simple words will set you onto a better path.

PS I was unable to get the audio to play for several of the links you found (mayhaps a technical issue on my end) but the one copied above worked AOK.

• Like 3

Thanks, Katrina and Libertas, for taking the time to listen to this report.

Disappointing, confusing, a missed opportunity.....

Yes, for sure. All of the above and more. :-(

As far as the links go, Libertas, they all worked for me, so perhaps it's a cross-border issue or something. I'm glad you found one that works. Maybe it's good that I posted a number of versions, then.

• Like 4

I confess to only listening to the first link - I actually winced & not one to use emojis was 🤦‍♀️

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

They're all essentially the same, Katrina, so as long as you heard one, then you will have heard the main points. The doctor talks to the different morning radio hosts (across different time zones and parts of the country), and they pose a question here or there, but the information he shares is the same. No need to listen to more than one.

In Libertas' case, she couldn't access one (or more?) of the links, but she found one that worked. They all work for me here in Canada, but perhaps there's a reason why a link might not work elsewhere.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

I hereby nominate you for the Benzo Blunder Finding Award of the Day @[La...]!  The doctor in this interview is even more off mark than the one in the interview our friends at @[...] blogged about (linked below).

Pity the poor patients who follow his advice:

For patients already on benzos, think to yourself “Am I using more and more? When I don’t take it, do I have withdrawal symptoms?” Those are signs of potential addiction. Just talk to your healthcare providers.  Tell them “I’m a bit worried I might have an addiction.  I might need some help.”  And just those simple words will set you onto a better path.

PS I was unable to get the audio to play for several of the links you found (mayhaps a technical issue on my end) but the one copied above worked AOK.

Horrible. They can produce it faster than anyone could respond to it. If anyone is up to writing a response to this one, let us know and we'll publish it!

• Like 1