Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Export of the whole site

[se...]

I wanna do some AI research by building a model and feeding it all the info on this site along with a bunch of research papers regards the nightmare we are all going through in a last ditch effort to try to help myself and everyone else. Is there any way to export it without having to write a script to scrape the entire site?

Edited by [se...]
  • Like 1

@[se...]

You seemingly fail to appreciate that such an action would be a breach of copyright (and privacy) of everyone who has ever contributed to BenzoBuddies. That's a lot of potential lawsuits you might need to settle.

In any case, this is not mathematics or theoretical physics. Using generative AI to produce answers is only as good as the input data - the input would mostly consist unintelligible content, mostly irrelevant, and - from a scientific perspective - often incorrect. The output might be representative of an 'average poster to BB', but it isn't going to create any scientific truths.

There is scope, it would seem, for generative AI to solve some mathematical problems (including in theoretical physics, molecular engineering, and the like), where inputted data is narrow, filtered, and logical. However, the copyright problems arising from scraping content would remain and is a hot topic in the world of generative AI.

Further, if you were to attempt to scrape the BenzoBuddies site, two immediate things would happen: 1. technical measures would kick in to block your bot; 2. your account at BB would be banned. And, 3. you might subsequently find yourself the subject of multiple lawsuits given the large number of people who would be affected by your actions.

In short: do not attempt this.

• Like 2

I think @[se...] is only looking for answers, as all of us, but she/he simply did not think about the general characteristics of a language model and the massive ethical and legal problems this idea definitely carries with itself. 

I am pretty if sure one reads /uses the forum regularly will have a grasp of what is going on. An AI is trained on general healthcare data /research which simply don't apply to us. The healing process here is massively unpredictable, unlike almost anything ever seen in healthcare and human research (maybe MS, autoimmune diseases, but this has an upwards tendency, so these don't apply either). If you could get the raw data - which is itself impossible because of the nature of a forum, I need to add- the machine would not be able to understand that it contradicts other well established (khmm..) information /research on the internet that has multiple sources. 

Good, extremely simple example, some AIs can't draw a picture of ramen without chopsticks. It is not how it was trained, it contradicts what it learned. The picture of a ramen without chopsticks does not exist for it.

One has to take a very broad view of the matter from several aspects and I absolutely understand the idea is based on good will and desperation, but, aside from the technical consequences and it being absolutely illegal, the data is bound to be absolutely biased and 100% false.

I am not discussing the security features of such a Forum and the very serious legal issues this carries with, the Founder did this before me. These are the culprits of AI. 

"In short, do not attempt this" simply ask a question on the forum, way less problematic. 

Many hugs!!

/And do the surveys! These are suitable for direct research! /

Edited by [Re...]
Added research thing.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I think @[se...] is only looking for answers, as all of us, but she/he simply did not think about the general characteristics of a language model and the massive ethical and legal problems this idea definitely carries with itself. 

Undoubtedly. As I wrote below:

18 hours ago, [[C...] said:

You seemingly fail to appreciate that such an action would be a breach of copyright (and privacy) of everyone who has ever contributed to BenzoBuddies. That's a lot of potential lawsuits you might need to settle.

If I thought there was any nefarious action involved, I would have simply responded with a ban. And@[se...]'s upfront inquiry makes clear that his/her intentions were well intended. I simply thought it best to write plainly so that he/she and all members understand the implications (and drawbacks) of scraping content and feeding the data to generative AI.

3 hours ago, [[R...] said:

/And do the surveys! These are suitable for direct research! /

Absolutely!

• Like 1