Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Afraid to go to sleep

[La...]

I jumped 49 days ago and I have been dealing with insomnia. I dread night time and put my head on the pillow. I get heart racing, panic and scary and intrusive thoughts while laying down to sleep.

I procrastinate the act of laying down to sleep as much as possible. I keep scrolling on the internet or watching TV shows, which makes things worse. Besides benzo withdrawal I have a major addiction to screens and internet, so it's very challenging.

Does anyone relate?

Unfortunately what you are experiencing is fairly common especially when insomnia is your top or one of your top symptoms.  I developed a "temporary" fear of going to sleep as well mainly because I didn't sleep much for months and months.  It goes away when sleep slowly starts to return.

The other thing to keep in mind is most people get a period that typically lasts from 30-90 days after they jump called "acute withdrawal."  This is where symptoms and symptom intensity are usually at their worst.  My worst insomnia didn't start until month 3 after I jumped.  That doesn't mean it will play out that way for you too.  If you didn't have insomnia prior to Benzos, then I doubt watching screens is going to make any difference for Benzo-induced insomnia.  However, it is a good idea to develop good sleep hygiene for when your sleep does start to return.  

There isn't much you can do for Benzo-induced insomnia short of taking another Rx drug that isn't a Benzo.  Many people have success with Hyrdoxyzine, Seroquel, Mirtazepine, etc.  I am not pushing drugs, but if you cannot make it through without taking something, you might want to consider something that isn't a Benzo for sleep.  Now that you are off, avoid Benzos at all costs.  It takes more time than we'd like but things get better over time.  Peace!

• Like 1

Sometimes Magnesium Glycinate can help calm you down and help with sleep. Everyone responds differently but it might be worth a try.

On 23/02/2024 at 04:58, [[L...] said:

I jumped 49 days ago and I have been dealing with insomnia. I dread night time and put my head on the pillow. I get heart racing, panic and scary and intrusive thoughts while laying down to sleep.

I procrastinate the act of laying down to sleep as much as possible. I keep scrolling on the internet or watching TV shows, which makes things worse. Besides benzo withdrawal I have a major addiction to screens and internet, so it's very challenging.

Does anyone relate?

I'm in this mess because of insomnia. Sleep got better when i accepted I was not going to have any sleep and just went to bed for stretching out. 

• Like 1

When i was tapering and in the acute, i'd go to bed as late as possible, at about 5 am and then i'd lie with eyes shut sometimes for hours, counting whatever i could or thinking of a dreamy place for happily healing. But it was difficult to just lie like that. Every now and then i jumped up with racing heart and ran to check something - it was sort of "hello" from my ocd developed while tapering.

Oh, and now i'm much better, although still go to bed later than i should. I'm afraid to sleep more than 7 hours to repeat the sleepless nights next time.

Edited by [...]

You went to bed at 5am on purpose?  I have to be at work by 7:30.

I guess you didn’t have early morning commitments!

9 hours ago, [[K...] said:

You went to bed at 5am on purpose?  I have to be at work by 7:30.

I guess you didn’t have early morning commitments!

I couldn't work then and not sure can do it now, although really need to. At first it wasn't on purpose but later yes. Sleep is a tricky thing for me. If i sleep more then 6-7 hours i feel worse.

No, no too strict morning commitments. I get up at 9 am.

I can't imagine how people manage to work while withdrawing. You're kind of heroes for me, really!) 

Edited by [...]
  • Like 2

Wish I felt like a hero. No super powers, but if I had any, I would heal us all and instantly make benzos disappear forever.

• Like 3

I signed up last spring but had to postpone my taper due to a family crisis so I'm just getting started.  Yes, I have that, especially after a nasty bout of insomnia.  I'm probably older than most people here and have struggled with insomnia for 25 years.  The only time it seemed to go into remission was when I first started benzos but eventually; tolerance withdrawal caught up with me.  

Things that have helped me are exercising, forcing myself to avoid screens for 30 minutes before bed, earplugs, and white noise.  I tend to get adrenaline rushes around bedtime so guided meditation does help a bit.  I find it super hard to stay away from screens but when I do, on average I probably sleep an extra 30-40 minutes.