Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Near end of taper: Unisom ok for the random night of insomnia?

[Tr...]

I'm near the end of my taper and I was wondering if over the counter Unisom would be ok for one of my main and only symptoms: insomnia. 

Anyone try this? Is it ok or is there anything to worry about, medically? 

I know a lot of people will say it's not a good idea to pop another pill while trying to get off a benzo but I really mean it when I say it would be for the occasional night of insomnia which will hit me when I make one of the last jumps.  

Nothing short of an Rx drug (not a Benzo) worked for me for sleep.  And then it only worked for a few nights.  I had the best success with Seroquel, but it made me feel really hung over the next day with lots of brain fog.  Unisom never worked for me for the first year for sure.  I get very good results with it now for those one off nights.  As you said, don't take it every night and you should be fine.  It is an antihistamine so it won't affect your healing and recovery.  Try it out and see how it works.  If you need something stronger, consider Hydroxyzine that is available via a prescription only...at least in the US.

Insomnia was my worst symptom too, but unfortunately I had about 15 other symptoms as well.  I'd read this post as it could answer most of your insomnia questions?

https://benzobuddies.org/topic/270442-2400-days-off-my-insomniabenzo-advice/page/3/#comment-3486428

Edited by [Th...]
  • Like 1