Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Has anyone taken vitamin C?

[Jo...]

Hi, I just want to know if anyone has taken vitamin c before. I tried looking for any topics about vitamin C and I don’t see to many topics on it. Vitamin C is supposedly helpful for decreasing glutamate.

Vitamin C is pretty low risk supplement, but I wouldn't go mega dosing. It's always best to take a tiny dose when starting something new to see how you react, and work up slowly. There's no telling what you might react to, however I'd be surprised if Vit C did anything bad

• Like 1

Hey @[Ha...], I just curious is 500mg grams of vitamin C ok to start with? This the lowest I could find. I also want to get vitamin D + k because I vitamin D deficiency and a high calcium problem, Is 5000lU ok to start with?

Edited by [Jo...]

6 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Hey @[Ha...], I just curious is 500mg grams of vitamin C ok to start with? This the lowest I could find. I also want to get vitamin D + k because I vitamin D deficiency and a high calcium problem, Is 5000lU ok to start with?

I'd personally start a little lower on the C, if you can. You'll probably be ok as it's pretty harmless for most. But you never know and it's easier to increase than deal with a reaction. Can you get dissolvable? Can test the water with drinking a little.

As for Vitamin D. That's a high dose, you don't want to be starting there IMHO. It can be very stimulating. You may not have a problem. But I personally had to start much lower with drops and worked up. Can take 2000 now no problem, but haven't tried going any higher. Vitamin D is basically a steroid 

Edited by [Ha...]

• 3 weeks later...

I take each of the Vitamins you mention, and totally agree with @[Ha...] on starting with low doses. I can take 500 mg capsules of C but that's because I tolerate it.  I also take D3 prescribed, and the K that I use is K2 MK-7 at 100mcg which is something I found in studying what type of K to take.  My C is from Amla berries that I read about and I do take Zinc with my C. They say that helps with absorption of the C.

We are pretty much on our own when taking supplements.  Kind of like listening to our bodies in order to do a taper of a benzo.  I'm really big on my nutrition, getting as much of my minerals and vitamins as possible from what I eat.  But I have to say I feel more secure in taking a few supplements, especially since I am 71 years old, and our bodies get depleted.  Of course they get depleted for a lot of other reasons as well.

It's all been, and will be, trial and error for me.  It's true what they say around here, everyone is different, oregonlady

Edited by [or...]