Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Looking for advice/5 Weeks off tEmAzEpAm

[Jo...]

So a brief summary about my situation. Last summer I started taking Z-Quil pretty much everyday for about three months then one day it stopped working. I didn't know that it was a bad thing to take considering it was just an OTC sleep aid. I went days without sleep and went to the Drs where they prescribed me hydroxyzine and doxepin for sleep that didn't work. After 5 days of no sleep I was prescribed Ambien and Lorazepam. I took those for about 4 days and was then put on seroquel and got off of it after about two weeks. I was put on trazadone, mirtazapine that didnt seem to work. I also just hated how I felt being on them. I was eventually prescribed 22.5 mgs temazepam and 600 mgs of gabapentin along with 10 mg dayvigo. That seemed to do the trick  I was averaging at least 5 hours of sleep at night. I started working with a naturpathic Dr that helped me get off of the temazepam in about a 3.5 week taper and started tapering gabapentin about a week after off of temazepam. I currently am taking 10mg Dayvigo and 50-75mg of hydroxyzine for sleep. I have been on hydroxyzine for three weeks now and I feel stuck on the taper process. I feel like I wont sleep at all if I go down below 50 mgs and I am also scared that I am putting my recovery back. Should I just C/T Dayvigo and hydroxyzine would this be the best way to get back to sleeping naturally or would that also put me back. I am so scared to go without sleep for a week or more and I am already so fatigued and I am scared I wont be mentally strong enough to weather through this storm. Any advice on the way forward for me would be greatly appreciated. I am also taking natural supplements to help with sleep. I get so tired at night but i never transition to sleep. i just want my life back and im trying to fiqure out the best way to get back there. Again any advice is greatly appreciated.

All sleep drugs, even OTC, should only be taken for 2-4 weeks maximum.  All drugs eventually stop working for almost all people given enough time.  Not sleeping is scary and many on this forum had severe insomnia.  I went 5 nights in a row with no perceived sleep after doing a CT from 3mg of Klonopin and 30mg of Temazepam.  I thought sleep would never return and that I was stuck for life.  NOT true.  It took about 10 months for my sleep to even out.  I felt completely healed by month 24 off.  I started getting some sleep most nights somewhere between month 9 and 10 off.  I'd read the post below:  It should answer most, if not all of your insomnia related questions.  Plus even though I didn't taper your taper was way too fast. 22.5mg in 3.5 weeks is almost a CT (Cold Turkey).  Ashton recommends no more than 10% of your current dose every 2 weeks or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[T...] said:

All sleep drugs, even OTC, should only be taken for 2-4 weeks maximum.  All drugs eventually stop working for almost all people given enough time.  Not sleeping is scary and many on this forum had severe insomnia.  I went 5 nights in a row with no perceived sleep after doing a CT from 3mg of Klonopin and 30mg of Temazepam.  I thought sleep would never return and that I was stuck for life.  NOT true.  It took about 10 months for my sleep to even out.  I felt completely healed by month 24 off.  I started getting some sleep most nights somewhere between month 9 and 10 off.  I'd read the post below:  It should answer most, if not all of your insomnia related questions.  Plus even though I didn't taper your taper was way too fast. 22.5mg in 3.5 weeks is almost a CT (Cold Turkey).  Ashton recommends no more than 10% of your current dose every 2 weeks or so.

I appreciate the feedback and response. I thought since I only did two months that my taper was sufficient. I was sleeping mostly during the taper as well. I thought I was good to go and I wanted off of gabapentin too. Do you think I should cut out the hydroxyzine and dayvigo. Am I just prolonging my insomnia? 

Well I cut out dAyViGo and hYdRoXyZiNe last night. I felt comfortable C/T the dAyViGo becasue it is not known to have any W/D. Hydroxyizne has only been in use for three weeks at around 50-75 mgs a night. I only took the natural supplements my naturpathic Dr told me to take and I actually fell asleep. It wasn't long sleep but it was sleep without "meds". I slept for about 3 hours is my guess. Sleep deprivation makes you forget things but I know I slept. When I woke up I went to the bathroom in hopes it would help me go back to sleep but unfortunately it did not. I pretty much paced around my apartment due to extreme anxiety. I don't think this is anxiety from being off the tEmAzEpAm and GaPaPeNtIn because those anxiety waves were a lot worse than what I was experiencing last night. Either way I am hopeful to fall asleep again tonight for a little bit. If I can get a solid four hours of sleep each night I think I would be in great shape with all things considered. I have had some anxiety waves today and I am thinking that's because I cut out the hYdRoXyZiNe.