Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Members-only Group  ·  430 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Am I too old to heal?

[Je...]

I am very close to 70 now, tapered off in 2013.  I am recovering every year and still improving so age is certainly not a barrier to healing.  I won't ever be in tip top shape of course, I am still limited by fatigue and have some cognitive issues but generally things are going much better than I ever imagined they could.  I still get bad spells when certain symptoms get worse, such as gut issues.  Two of my worst symptoms were intolerable head pressure and nerve pain.  Both went away entirely, head pressure went on for maybe 5 years or more, nerve pain was only about a year but it was all over my body.   I spent most of the time in bed for several years which took its toll but even with that I am now swimming 10 lengths of the pool now, albeit pretty slowly 

Edited by [lo...]
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Looking forward, thank you for your encouragement.  I'm almost 53 months off and cry intensely all day. The head pressure is too much. The nerve pain comes and goes. A lot of symptoms left but these last few are super challenging.  Especially the mental stuff. Just need to know it gets better with time. Trying to hold on. Hugs to you. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, [[l...] said:

I am very close to 70 now, tapered off in 2013.  I am recovering every year and still improving so age is certainly not a barrier to healing.  I won't ever be in tip top shape of course, I am still limited by fatigue and have some cognitive issues but generally things are going much better than I ever imagined they could.  I still get bad spells when certain symptoms get worse, such as gut issues.  Two of my worst symptoms were intolerable head pressure and nerve pain.  Both went away entirely, head pressure went on for maybe 5 years or more, nerve pain was only about a year but it was all over my body.   I spent most of the time in bed for several years which took its toll but even with that I am now swimming 10 lengths of the pool now, albeit pretty slowly 

What kind of gut issues are you dealing with?  Thanks for coming on here and sharing your experience.

13 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

What kind of gut issues are you dealing with?  Thanks for coming on here and sharing your experience.

My gut has been quite badly affected, benzo belly, was very swollen for a number of years.  I can't eat a lot, have to have small meals but I can eat anything I want, I don't have any issues with foods.   It is not really a major problem but recently I messed it up by taking laxatives and I also had an adverse reaction to some magnesium liquid and was ill for weeks.  I was having problems with constipation as well.  I have stopped taking any products now and it has all settled down again, I am drinking prune juice to help the constipation and that has improved as well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Looking forward, thank you for your encouragement.  I'm almost 53 months off and cry intensely all day. The head pressure is too much. The nerve pain comes and goes. A lot of symptoms left but these last few are super challenging.  Especially the mental stuff. Just need to know it gets better with time. Trying to hold on. Hugs to you. 

I wish you all the best, it is a terrible experience.  I just hope things improve for you soon.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jelly, you are never too old to heal. I have a lot of "older than me" friends that I have mentored over the years though their Benzo journey. I started my 2 1/2 year withdrawal when I was 57 or so, and it carved about the next 2 1/2 years out of my life suffering, but all the madness stopped one fine day in Sept. of 2017.

Personally I think people our age (for me April 23rd I will be 68 God wiling). I feel that I got through it better, with just my level of life experience and maturity, than I "ever" would have had I been in my teens. You "will" 100% heal like me. The only thing you have to do to achieve this is to keep even just a shred of hope alive, and not "ever" give up. If you do that, there is nothing you can do to not heal, of that I can promise you. When you will heal nobody knows, but you can rest assured that it will happen.  I hope that you heal today or tomorrow!     

And after you do heal, be ready to live your very best life "ever" just like I am doing now.  

• Like 2

Neighbor Bob, thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I really appreciate it.  I need encouragement and prayers. I will be 69 on April 30th and I hoped I would be healed by now. I cry all day but with the grace of God I get through the day with the support of my husband and therapy dog Obi. It's so hard. 

God bless you.

• 1 month later...
[fl...]
On 08/01/2024 at 10:00, [[J...] said:

I'm not a regular here. I don't post much but I do come to read success stories and see how everyone is doing.

My question is am I too old to heal? I'm 68 years old and I'm coming up on 52 months pretty much CT off Klonopin.  I cry all day with head pressure and nerve pain. My sleep is alright but I wake up still feeling 1000 years old and sick. I start crying and it continues until late in the day. I push myself to set goals no matter how small. 

Please, someone talk to me. Will this ever stop and heal? I fight each day to get through. Help!

I am 70 yo woman and getting better everyday after many years on Klonopin. I tapered over 1 1/2 years and am 24 months Klonopin free. I have windows and waves but windows last longer and waves are less debilitating. But when the wave hits the negative thoughts take over and I know I can’t live thru this forever. Exercise helps me and keeping busy but nothing really matters when u feel the waves. Hope u are doing better since your last post. 

[Je...]

Thank you for writing me. Still struggling.  No windows.  I distract but it's hard.  Hugs

[fl...]
12 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Thank you for writing me. Still struggling.  No windows.  I distract but it's hard.  Hugs

It is VERY hard to distract!! It is all consuming.❤️

[fl...]
21 hours ago, [[J...] said:

It is VERY hard to distract!! It is all consuming.❤️

[fl...]
7 hours ago, [[J...] said:

How do you distract? I cry most of the day 

It gets very depressing and I look around at other people and wish I could feel that good. When it happens, I try telling myself that it’s only temporary and I won’t die from it. But when I feel good it’s easy to rationalize it

[Wa...]

What I honestly wonder is am I do damaged to heal..like from all the setbacks and probably more upcoming. Like breaking a leg but then reinjuring it over and over again before it even had a chance to heal all the way.

• 2 weeks later...
[le...]
On 10/04/2024 at 13:59, [[J...] said:

Honestly I don't ever feel good.  I'm lost

How are you doing. Just wanted to say I also feel lost. Get crying spells several times a day out of blue no triggers. Have started seeing a therapist but as it drags up emotional stress from my past often feel worse next day. That’s only time I really leave house. Been over 5 years since was CT off zopiclone which wasn’t bad, but 4 years since brutal withdrawal from anti depressants. I’m older starting to think running out of time to heal. The crying is unbearable you are not alone.

[Je...]

Thank you so much for writing to me. I hear what you're saying.  I will be 69 next Tuesday.  Still struggling with crying and pain. I surrender it all to God. Don't know what else to do.  

Sending hugs and love.  I hope things turn around for the better for you. I appreciate you thinking of me.  I feel so forgotten.  

[le...]
2 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Thank you so much for writing to me. I hear what you're saying.  I will be 69 next Tuesday.  Still struggling with crying and pain. I surrender it all to God. Don't know what else to do.  

Sending hugs and love.  I hope things turn around for the better for you. I appreciate you thinking of me.  I feel so forgotten.  

You definitely aren’t forgotten. It’s crying I can’t cope with , have no life as it goes on for hours I literally have no life. I’m 71 so time is running out for me. Hope we both come out the other side. Just message me if you need support it is so hard to go through.

[Je...]

Ok. I was just getting ready to write you and ask if we could connect privately.  Reach out to me when you're ready.  Thank you for your kindness. 

[le...]

You are welcome. Helps to talk to someone else who cries, not many people seem to mention it as symptom😄