Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Anyone here removed their thyroid?

[De...]

Anyone here had thyroid nodules or whatever other issue that needed to remove the thyroid gland? I have thyroid nodules which i did biópsy and am waiting for results, but i have an indication to remove my thyroid due to the nodules, anyone had this surgery done? Whats is like to not having your thyroid and needling to supplement t3 and t4 ? 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

Hey there Buddie, I had thyroid cancer in 2006 and at the ripe age of 18 had a total thyroidectomy. I would hold judgment on what to do until you get your biopsy results back. Are the nodules pressing on anything or making it difficult to swallow? If you're in the US you'll have a hard time getting a practitioner to prescribe T3 and for most people, T4 converts to T3 so most people do not require supplementation. If you have cancer like I did no one will give you T3 let alone check it because there have not been enough studies.  If you can avoid a total thyroidectomy-----Please do. If unavoidable then you will need to find a doctor who is very good at basing your Synthroid (T4) dosage off of not only your labs but how you feel. Please keep us posted on how it goes and feel free to message me at anything, I've been living with this for 18 years (and honestly thank god!). 

• Like 1

Hey @[he...] thank you for your reply, "high suspicion" certainly it's cancer, Bethesda 4 level of suspicion, with the morphology and etc, indicates papilary thyroid carcinoma, the other 2 nodules, both Bethesda 3, that means 10-30% chance of maligancy, one is in the upper range of suspicion due to the morphology, nodules dont press or makes It hard to swallow, im not in the US, If i have to supplement t3 and t4, i will do a follow up with the doctor, but If he doesnt agree in prescribing T3 or whatever, i wil buy It myself and find out what's the best dose 

Thanks for your input 

• Like 1

Hi deniztgekid, 

I'm so sorry to hear this! I know there are lots of great advances in thyroid cancer cures. Er suspected my thyroid 6 months ago, scared me to death! So i did some research. A lot of advances in thyroid disease. Hang in there, I'm praying for you. We all been thru so much. I know you must be exhausted! Try to keep as positive as u can, it goes a long way.

Please keep us updated ok

Much love, 

Sn

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi @[ns...] thank you for your reply, i need to look in depts in regards of the advance, yes, i am exausted..  15 years to break free from psychiatric drugs, im each time feeling better mentally, drained of energy and still and not fully there, but better and now cancer. I will keep updating, afraid as im dealing with pains and each time having more relief from the severe pain i developed, reason why im scared of some of this treatments

Thanks you for taking the time 

Edited by [De...]
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Hi @[ns...] thank you for your reply, i need to look in depts in regards of the advance, yes, i am exausted..  15 years to break free from psychiatric drugs, im each time feeling better mentally, drained of energy and still and not fully there, but better and now cancer. I will keep updating, afraid as im dealing with pains and each time having more relief from the severe pain i developed, reason why im scared of some of this treatments

Thanks you for taking the time 

Hi deniztgekid, 

I'm so sorry to hear this! I know there are lots of great advances in thyroid cancer cures. Er suspected my thyroid 6 months ago, scared me to death! So i did some research. A lot of advances in thyroid disease. Hang in there, I'm praying for you. We all been thru so much. I know you must be exhausted! Try to keep as positive as u can, it goes a long way.

Please keep us updated ok

Much love, 

Sn

Hi again, hey another guy above, healingdaybyday just Said he had thyroid cancer and had his thyroid removed. I hope you read his reply. You know thyroid issues cause anxiety, thought I had a thyroid issue t3, er freaked me out, but it went back to normal. These meds are so hard on our bodies. I think the guy who commented who had cancer would be a great support system for. He sounds knowledgeable and I think u need someone in your corner like this. Remember. We're all here to listen, to bend our ear, to offer support, so please keep us posted so we can walk with u thru this journey ok,

Much love and prayer for u!

• Like 1

Going to jump off for the night.  Prayers for all, my heart is with u, I'm exhausted, might even sleep tonight maybe not. 

I hope everyone gets the relief they need even if it's just for one night! 

May your sleep be sweet, may we learn to accept the things we cannot change and have the grace to be patient with the things we can, and may we always know the difference, always knowing with confidence that we will get thru it, we will survive even when it seems like we might not make it another day,  we will make thru, we are going thru and we will do it with grace, well, some days are better than others!,

Goodnight everyone!

• Like 1

Hello @[De...]. I am saddened to learn of your diagnosis. But my understanding and the experience of others I know who have had thyroidectomies have been very positive. An ex of mine from many, many years ago had her thyroid removed and she's still around and doing well. My other half had a partial thyroidectomy about 20 years ago and she is fine (just a moderate dose of levothyroxine). I have Hashimoto's, and take a higher dose of Levothyroxine, but as @[he...] suggested, a symptom-based approach to treatment better suits many (and me) - when various GPs over the past decade went off the pure numbers, I was chronically under-treated. My TSH numbers are still within what's considered the 'normal range', but are now much lower - this suits me and I feel much better.

Try not to worry about post op treatments. You will surely figure that out. In the main, it is straightforward enough, just keep your levels monitored (which should be required less frequently after stabilisation), and your body will let you know if they need checking in the interim between scheduled checks anyway.

Hey @[Co...] thanks for updating, felt kinda worried about this thing of supplementing hormones and lacking the thyroid, but as you guys said, i guess its ok, thanks for letting me know. i'm  aware i will have a crap time until getting this adjusted properly, thyroid function while in acute went hyper, lower range TSH almost enough to consider hyperthyroidism, based on the T3 and T4 count, plus the whole thing, wich were due to withdrawal 

at least i have something to compare, in order to base myself and go from there, with time It regulated itself. Thanks m8 

Hi @[De...], I got a papillary thyroid cancer diagnosis smack dab in the middle of my recovery from my cold turkey from Klonopin and did just fine.  Getting on the correct dose of hormone after the operation took a couple of weeks but since then, I’ve done great.  

The worst part was dealing with this while the benzo fear was raging but I’m in wonderful health and taking the thyroid hormone every day doesn’t cause me any problems.  

My surgeon told me thyroid cancer was one of the best ones to get because the success rate is so good, I took comfort in that. 

• Like 1

@[Pa...] thanks for letting me know :), im dealing with this for some time, that's the worst, but already sheudled the oncology and Head and neck to sheudle the surgery 

20 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

@[Pa...] thanks for letting me know :), im dealing with this for some time, that's the worst, but already sheudled the oncology and Head and neck to sheudle the surgery 

Good to hear, @[De...]. Good luck with the surgery.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Hi @[De...], I got a papillary thyroid cancer diagnosis smack dab in the middle of my recovery from my cold turkey from Klonopin and did just fine.  Getting on the correct dose of hormone after the operation took a couple of weeks but since then, I’ve done great.  

The worst part was dealing with this while the benzo fear was raging but I’m in wonderful health and taking the thyroid hormone every day doesn’t cause me any problems.  

My surgeon told me thyroid cancer was one of the best ones to get because the success rate is so good, I took comfort in that. 

Pamster, that's awesome! So encouraging to hear.  Sorry you went thru that but grateful you had it taken care of and are doing well. It's nice to hear good news!

Take care now.

Edited by [ns...]
Misspelled word
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, [[D...] said:

I hope everything goes smoothly @[De...], I’m sure this has taken a toll on you so please keep us posted when you can. 

• Like 1