Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

😱Glutamate Toxicity 😱

[Jo...]

Hi, I need people’s input on this topic. Differences in opinions are welcome.

I am 3 months off of k and still dealing with muscle stiffness. I been researching a lot on gaba receptors and what is going on in the brain when people go through Benzo withdrawal. I found out that gaba has an antagonist receptor which is glutamate. Glutamate is important for memory, alertness, cognition, and mood regulations. On the flip side GABA is important for calmness, sleep, anxiety relief, and improves mood. GABA also slows down the brain by blocking specific signals in your CNS. Once GABA is taken offline by Benzos glutamate no long has an antagonistic force to balance things in the brain. Therefore, glutamate makes you more alert and uneasy.

This might be what causes certain symptoms. Because with glutamate toxicity. You develop certain symptoms like high anxiety, restless mind, unable to relax, inability to focus, worrying to much, depression and OCD. Don’t these symptoms sound familiar? I honestly believe this the psychological side of withdrawal. 

On the physical side of withdrawal. I don’t think the brain was meant to take In that much GABA the Benzos was supplying us with. Keep in mind GABA is what slows down your CNS. So when we take the Benzo out of the equation. We are left with a down regulated CNS. Because the CNS is down regulated we end up developing muscle disorder and neuropathy like symptoms. I believe this the physical side of withdrawal. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/22857-gamma-aminobutyric-acid-gaba

Edited by [Jo...]
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Hi, I need people’s input on this topic. Differences in opinions are welcome.

I am 3 months off of k and still dealing with muscle stiffness. I been researching a lot on gaba receptors and what is going on in the brain when people go through Benzo withdrawal. I found out that gaba has an antagonist receptor which is glutamate. Glutamate is important for memory, alertness, cognition, and mood regulations. On the flip side GABA is important for calmness, sleep, anxiety relief, and improves mood. GABA also slows down the brain by blocking specific signals in your CNS. Once GABA is taken offline by Benzos glutamate no long has an antagonistic force to balance things in the brain. Therefore, glutamate makes you more alert and uneasy.

This might be what causes certain symptoms. Because with glutamate toxicity. You develop certain symptoms like high anxiety, restless mind, unable to relax, inability to focus, worrying to much, depression and OCD. Don’t these symptoms sound familiar? I honestly believe this the psychological side of withdrawal. 

On the physical side of withdrawal. I don’t think the brain was meant to take In that much GABA the Benzos was supplying us with. Keep in mind GABA is what slows down your CNS. So when we take the Benzo out of the equation. We are left with a down regulated CNS. Because the CNS is down regulated we end up developing muscle disorder and neuropathy like symptoms. I believe this the physical side of withdrawal. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/22857-gamma-aminobutyric-acid-gaba

@[Jo...], hi) i'm also interested in suchlike information. Have you read an old post by Parker somewhere here on the forum? It's very interesting and explains some things of the kind. And Ashton Manual + Supplement explain even more. What sorts of sources did you use to get the information? I'd like to read more on the topic but don't know what else...)

Glutamate is a neurotransmitter that is also needed for synthesis of GABA.

Benzos don't supply GABA but attach to the GABA receptors, thus acting as GABA.

Hi @[ve...], thank you for your response. I wasn’t really sure if Benzos supplied gaba or not. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

• Like 1

@[Jo...] This video about the effects of benzodiazepines on the nervous system and body might be of interest.