Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Gabapentin

[Lo...]

Does anyone know how long you can be on gabapentin before you need to taper off? It's not benzos I know but I can't find any good reliable sources about it.

OK, I was on gabapentin on and off fir yrs, for trigeminal neuralgia, they are not good for your brain, they're very difficult to get off of if your steady in use of them. If they are helping u, expect to go thru withdrawal but I don't think it's anything like benzo withdrawal but they're definitely not fun. Try not to use them friend, the stinging nerve pain u experience is cortisol and adrenaline most likely. Unless a knowledgeable neurologist In  benzos has told you different,  maybe you use them for nerve damage idk. Please be careful with gabapentin, it's not a good drug unless you have no choice ok

Bless ya

• Like 1

I was on gabapentin very sparingly and intermittently for about 2 months. I took it to relieve pins and needles from lorazepam withdrawal on an "as needed" basis. Then for a few weeks I took it every day. It suddenly became paradoxical, and caused extreme anxiety. It was terrible! I was nervous and trembling and could not sleep. So, I stopped taking it at once. It took about 10 days before I felt better.

How long you can be on any drug is unique to that person.  Some people take Benzos for a week or so and get a horrific withdrawal and others can be on them for decades before they reach tolerance.  I was on Benzos about 12 weeks and then did a CT at the recommendation of my doctor and I had a severe withdrawal for the next 9-10 months before things slowly started to get better.

• Like 1

@[Lo...]  I was on 2300 mgs of gabapentin for 10 years for a foot neuropathy. It started making me feel ill, so I tapered it. Big drops 'til 100 mgs, then a slow taper off the last 100 mgs. It wasn't too bad. Not like my benzo taper. I felt a whole lot better without it. Best wishes.

• Like 2