Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

DIY Deodorant & other DIY external body needs

[or...]

Thought I'd throw this out there and maybe gain more good ideas for non-toxic hygiene.

The main reason is I am sweating a lot during this last cut/taper, more than usual for sure.  I became concerned with using the Degree anti-perspirent which I know has chemicals in it.  I may be getting paranoid, or smart, not sure which :2funny: but looking at some ideas for a DIY deodorant.  I don't even want to stop the sweating because I feel that is my body ridding itself of things I need to be rid of. I'm so very scientific aren't I ;)

Anyway, here's one I found for under my arms, and please chime in if you've found good non-toxic DIY.  I don't want any ready-made product but if you've found something and want to share it, please feel free.  Someone might want something they don't have to make themselves, and I sure don't blame them ;) Oregonlady

I'm interested in this one as I like shea butter and Coconut Oil, also a teenie bit of EO is ok with me:

"jump to recipe" works great ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I make a few of my own things now. Deodorant I used coconut oil, arrow root powder, aloe Vera and Shea butter. The only problem I’ve encountered is you have to use sterilised jars or containers. Otherwise funky stuff can grow! 

I make my own facial cleansing oil using castor oil, olive oil, apricot kernel oil and jojoba oil. I love it! 

• Love 1

Hi @[Em...],

Thank you for the heads-up on the sterilization of the jars, I will definitely do that.  I also have been using, when I remember before I get in the shower, to use my grapeseed oil on my face.  At night I have only been using water which I don't think is good enough ::) That's me being lazy.

I was so glad to see your reply, it encourages me to do the healthiest things I can for myself :smitten:Please share anything you like with me, I love learning, and trying new things. I can't wear any eye-makeup because my tremor is too bad, but I can manage a little lipstick, or just chapstick, oregonlady :)

Hey @[or...] :)

Yes the sterilisation is a crucial part of the process… I learnt the hard way 🤪😂 I made some homemade deodorant in a glass jar that I had rinsed out with soap and water but that obviously wasn’t enough as after a couple of weeks of the deodorant sitting in the jar, it grew some type of black furry fungus! It was also a very hot week and the jar was sitting in a very hot room so that wouldn’t have helped. I think even just a boiling water rinse would probably do it? Or just buy sterile jars and containers and use a new one each time, it’s still far cheaper than buying everything pre-made new! 

I don’t think I’ve tried grapeseed oil yet. That sounds lovely. I started oil cleansing in this as my skin became so dry from the chronic stress on my body. It has definitely helped. Then I use a small amount of tallow on my face which I love. 

Of course! I love sharing these sorts of natural things too. Love learning something new and how to make something myself. I will check in with any new ideas or recipes :thumbsup:

What do you use on your lips? I’ve not been able to make anything yet for my lips. Here’s some ideas:
https://www.savvyhomemade.com/diy-lip-balm/

• Like 1

Morning @[Em...], I hadn't thought about just pouring my boiled water into the jar, that's much easier.  I don't don't think I'll try using the old Deodorant container like I read somewhere. Can't sterilize plastic.  I don't want to chance wasting my ingredients :thumbsup:  I'll be taking a look at the lip-recipe you linked for me, for sure!

I'm interested in making my own eye-drops, probably use my blue dropper-bottles I'd bought for Essential Oils, easier to dispense just a drop ;).  I've been brushing my teeth (several months) with baking soda and just a couple drops of peppermint and it's served me well.  Then I do a rinse with 1 part hydrogen peroxide, and 2 parts water.

Next I'll probably look at hair product as I was thinking how the chemicals can't help my brain any :heybabe:

I need to get on the ball and get my Deodorant made today, and again, I will look at the recipe you sent, thanks so much, oregonlady (y):smitten:PS I just remembered I have glass jars for moisturizer I was making a few years ago, they are small, but that might be better, and I could make smaller batches at a time, still sterilize though, except they have plastic lid.  If it's stored in a cool place I could maybe get it used up before it could get the hairy stuff ::) I'll show you pic of the jars below: smallamberjarsforDIY.JPG.d3a28852ca8d9c1280bbaa21e2ce5d98.JPG

• Like 1

Hey again @[Em...], I love that article you linked me to!  I was a little concerned about my hand tremors, but as I read down the page, I found more recipes!  I think the little jars used to hold the balm would work best for me, and the one pic of a color I most often wear of lipstick!  The sort of lilac one!  I know it wouldn't be as dark as lipstick, but my lipstick isn't dark at all anyway.

Thanks so much, I'm going to order some of the items I need but I need to read the DIY for the the "jar" type ingredients, oregonlady :D:smitten:

• Like 1