Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

PAW

[Di...]

from the American Addiction Centres

Post-acute withdrawal syndrome has been characterized as a lengthy period that can last from weeks to years that requires ongoing treatment (mostly in the form of therapy); otherwise, it can lead to an increased potential for relapse. The syndrome is not universally accepted among addiction researchers and mental health workers.

Are we all making this up?

I’ve sometimes wondered where exactly you draw the line. Like, how do you know if the issue is being caused by a benzo injury, or something else?

The simple answer could be, “Well, I never had that issue before.”

But what if you’re a hypochondriac, or suffering from somatic issues, or nocebo effects, or a new stressful event in your life, or even a midlife crisis?

Surely, protracted withdrawals are real, but i also wonder if they are actually a type of Central Sensitization, or closely related.

Edited by [Md...]

On 23/12/2023 at 09:06, [[D...] said:

from the American Addiction Centres

Post-acute withdrawal syndrome has been characterized as a lengthy period that can last from weeks to years that requires ongoing treatment (mostly in the form of therapy); otherwise, it can lead to an increased potential for relapse. The syndrome is not universally accepted among addiction researchers and mental health workers.

Are we all making this up?

I've researched this quite extensively. I'm comfortable in my opinion that this is legitimate. The aspect that needs to be addressed isn't IF this exists, but how to minimize its occurrence and address it appropriately if it occurs. We can't bastardize benzos, but they have clinical utility, but proper prescribing practices need to be established... which no one in healthcare seems to care about.

On 26/12/2023 at 23:01, [[M...] said:

I’ve sometimes wondered where exactly you draw the line. Like, how do you know if the issue is being caused by a benzo injury, or something else?

The simple answer could be, “Well, I never had that issue before.”

But what if you’re a hypochondriac, or suffering from somatic issues, or nocebo effects, or a new stressful event in your life, or even a midlife crisis?

Surely, protracted withdrawals are real, but i also wonder if they are actually a type of Central Sensitization, or closely related.

Right on. I've read literature that basically said... "was it there before??"

You're also right, though. How far down we go is likely due to a number of factors, with our own psychological response having some sort of a role, even if it's minimal.

• Like 1