Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

In a horrible wave, setback after 36 months off…want rescue dose

[...]

Hello, 

Have been Experiencing a horrible setback from either nitrous or doxycline since 12/8. This sucks so bad. Went to ER as I couldn’t control the panic. Cannot even work it’s so bad. Found out was hypokalemic so the gave me potassium immediately. Still feeling horrible and have barely slept in 3 days now. My 18-month taper ended on 2/21. 

I’m so tempted to take a rescue dose of .5 Aprazolam just to get some peace!!!! This constant wave is killing me! 

Will this make my setback worse? 

thank you, LC

Edited by [...]

I'm so sorry you are experiencing a setback @[...].  I understand because I had a setback due to a combination of a steroid, antibiotic plus anesthesia. I had been off bemzoz 15 months when it happened.  

The good news is that setbacks do end. I do not recommend taking a rescue dose at this time.

I tried medication after all the natural supplements I tried did not work but I did not try them all out of fear. Most times, medications do not work and can revv up your sensitized nervous system. 

In hindsight, I should have tried Valerian or Chamomile but had been scared off by the benzo sites. I ended up taking those supplements about 3 months into my setback and the did help a bit. (Doesn’t mean your setback will be as long as mine). 

I understand the agony of a setback, which is like being in cold turkey withdrawal. They do end and what you are feeling now will not be how you feel in the future. 

FH

• Like 1