Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Magnesium Glycinate

[Ma...]

I’ve been taking it for sleep for about 2 months but want to stop as I am exhausted all day. Is it the Magnesium? Don’t know…

Can I just stop taking it CT? Any guidance would be really helpful!!!

Thank you,

Hi, @[Ma...].  I have no experience with magnesium glycinate, but I did want to respond to you.  From what I have read, I do believe that magnesium glycinate is one of the more 'well tolerated' supplements amongst members.  If you aren't sleeping well, I would more so attribute the daytime fatigue/exhaustion to lack of quality sleep.  

In regards to discontinuation, I would not overly worry myself with this process.  Perhaps just slowly reduce your intake of the supplement, if possible, over the course of a couple weeks.  I highly doubt you will experience much trouble discontinuing magnesium glycinate.

Hi @[Ma...] how many mg are you taking per day? Also what time of day do you take it? Does it overlap with when you dose your benzo?

I usually try to take my mag gly 1-2 hours before bed. I also only dose my benzo in the morning so that there is no interference with the two. Mag gly can help/hurt the absorption of certain drugs so I always try to space it out when I take it just to be safe