Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Acid reflux Klonopin, Mirtazapine, and Clonodine

[ve...]

Has anyone had acid reflux (LPR) when taking medication?

At night just before taking taking the three meds above I start having a ramp up in my tinnitus and my stomach discomfort starts to increase.

• Like 1

Yes, I have been DX'd with LPR. The only SX I was having was morning hoarseness. I seem to be in remission now. I sleep on a wedge pillow and I try not to eat anything after 8PM, three or four hours prior to bedtime. When my anxiety ramps up, I seem to have more issues from the LPR regardless of what or when I eat. I am tapering Valium. I am on Lexapro. The meds IMO have no effect on my LPR that I can discern.

What SXs are you having from your LPR? 

I get  a full feeling in left ear, constant pepsin in mouth I am always gargling with baking soda.

I am eating 95% clean diet, small pieces of parmesan or feta and a little bit of coconut whipped cream.

My voice is usually horse and I get some stomach gurgling. I have been supplementing with pro biotics. It seems to be getting worse. 

I've been on Clonazepam for over 35 years.  I started tapering "again" when I found BB last March.  I have extreme Tinnitus as well as what is either LPR or possibly Histamine Intolerance.  I've talked til I'm blue in the face about each of these particular issues, but ended up just coping with them until I finish my taper which should end about the beginning of Summer, 2024.

I did have actual acid reflux until I started eating very low carb (ketogenic), exercising regularly, and also, not eating anything within 3 hours of bedtime.  Sounds like a lot of work, but I did it all without meds/otc's.  I'm so marked by using the C drug, I won't take anything else, especially anything that directly effects the same receptor (or Central Nervous System).

If you are experiencing LPR, or Acid Reflux, not eating within 3 hours may help, plus, I bought a 6 inch Wedge pillow I used if I thought I may have eatin something that would cause the reflux.  Since then, I've learned what I can eat safely for a snack before bed, and it doesn't cause the reflux.  I don't know if all that heals so you can eat what you want, but I feels so good eating the way I do now that I wouldn't change it if I could.

• Like 1

Hi.

I also have tinnitus. But manage to forget about it most of the time. When it's very bad i put my head under the kitchen fan lol. White noise sounds mask it well

@OP, you may also want to watch some of  Dr. Jamie Kaufman's YT videos on LPR. She is considered probably the world's premier authority on LPR.