Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Open Group  ·  69 members

Music Lovers

Songs of the 70s

[Na...]

Betcha thought Foxy was a girl-group. Nope. Cubans from Hialeah.

But there's Tito Puente's son Richie on bass, so they're not all Cubans.
And speaking of Tito Puente, here's Santana's 1971 cover of his song..

And speaking of covers, Santana had a big hit covering Fleetwood Mac..

The orginal Fleetwood Mac, with Peter Green , was a blues band.
How we got from that to Foxy in one decade will be a mystery to me,
forever..

5 hours ago, [[r...] said:

Betcha thought Foxy was a girl-group. Nope. Cubans from Hialeah.

But there's Tito Puente's son Richie on bass, so they're not all Cubans.
And speaking of Tito Puente, here's Santana's 1971 cover of his song..

I remember that one. And yes, I probably thought that was a girl group at the time. 

Speaking of which, here's another song that a lot of people probably thought had a female singer.

Ozark Mountain Daredevils - 1974

That drummer certainly could sing in a high register.

• Like 1

Used to like this group a lot. Debbie Harry was one of a kind. Then her duo with Iggy Pop "Well, Did You Evah!" in 2010. That was a masterpiece.

• Like 2

Maybe it was worth being born to hear this guitar solo by David Gilmour on "Comfortably Numb" (1979). It was the last song Roger Waters and David Gilmour wrote together. While I certainly admire Roger Waters as a poet & songwriter, David Gilmour is a guitar genius. Here are Songfacts if anyone's interested in the details. I chose the version with lyrics, since I'm not especially fond of the vid. Oh well, the lyrics are certainly open to interpretation and I have my own, which I don't necessarily need to share.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, [[N...] said:

I remember that one. And yes, I probably thought that was a girl group at the time. 

Speaking of which, here's another song that a lot of people probably thought had a female singer.

Ozark Mountain Daredevils - 1974

That drummer certainly could sing in a high register.

Yep, you're right.  When I heard it on the radio, I used to think it was a female singing.  Saw the band live and confirmed that it was a guy singing.

3 hours ago, [[R...] said:

"Dream On" - Aerosmith

Wow, I absolutely love this one. Such a powerful ballad. I'm a great fan of Aerosmith, BTW. Know most of their songs by heart. Steve Tyler and Joe Perry are just an unbelievable match, though Joe wasn't very fond of this song.

Cool that you posted the version with lyrics, there are lots of non native speakers of English here, me included.  

The refrain was later used by Eminem in his song "Sing For The Moment" (2002), which I also like very much. But I prefer this one, it's a classic.

Was actually planning to post this😆 But will just post Songfacts to complete the picture🤟🏻

• Like 1

Songfacts

This was released in 1974, just three years before Ronnie van Zatt and Steve Gaines died in a plane crash in Mississipi. I mean the story of this band is quite tragic. But they still manage to make me smile, cause they did great, upbeat music.

The incredibly talented guitar player Allen Collins also wasn't spared by fate, though he survived the plane crash. Trying not to think about it all. Their music lives on, it's all that matters.

For me, this is a song about going Home, I don't care much about all the political stuff in it. BTW, they were great friends with Neil Young.

• Like 2