Open Group  ·  69 members

Music Lovers

'Krautrock'

[Co...]

'Krautrock' - note, the inverted commas!

This might not be obvious in all parts of the world, so I include a note about the term Kraut. Kraut (from sauerkraut), originates from about 1918, as an ethnic slur, originally more directed towards German soldiers from WWI and then WWII. And sometimes used more generally as a milder slur against all Germans. The use of 'Kraut' is probably akin to the French being called 'Frogs' or the British being called 'Roast Beef' by the French.

Although the term Krautrock is now more broadly accepted (including in Germany) than it once was, Krautrock remains a somewhat controversial term. But since it is by far the most common word used to describe this style of music (certainly within English speaking countries), advisedly, I use it here for clarity. For what it is worth, I do not use the terms "Frog' or 'Kraut' to describe French and German peoples. But I do, even if hesitantly, use the term Krautrock.

I'll kick off with Hallogallo by NEU! (Yes, the explanation point is part of the band's name). NEU! are also considered a proto-punk band.

And Watussi by Harmonia. I am not a huge Harmonia fan, but I do like this track.

• 3 months later...

Wot? No one!? :pokey: But then again, I guess it is a bit of a niche interest. :)

OK. Let's try this, considered by many as the greatest Krautrock album. Enjoy! :muscle:

Can are more a jazz-rock band. There is not  really a unifying style to Krautrock. It is more about a time, place, and attitude, I guess.

• 2 months later...
On 01/09/2023 at 14:24, [[C...] said:

'Krautrock' - note, the inverted commas!

This might not be obvious in all parts of the world, so I include a note about the term Kraut. Kraut (from sauerkraut), originates from about 1918, as an ethnic slur, originally more directed towards German soldiers from WWI and then WWII. And sometimes used more generally as a milder slur against all Germans. The use of 'Kraut' is probably akin to the French being called 'Frogs' or the British being called 'Roast Beef' by the French.

Although the term Krautrock is now more broadly accepted (including in Germany) than it once was, Krautrock remains a somewhat controversial term. But since it is by far the most common word used to describe this style of music (certainly within English speaking countries), advisedly, I use it here for clarity. For what it is worth, I do not use the terms "Frog' or 'Kraut' to describe French and German peoples. But I do, even if hesitantly, use the term Krautrock.

I'll kick off with Hallogallo by NEU! (Yes, the explanation point is part of the band's name). NEU! are also considered a proto-punk band.

And Watussi by Harmonia. I am not a huge Harmonia fan, but I do like this track.

I been listening to electronic music since i was 10! 

Kraftverk is of course the Gods in this genre. 

1 hour ago, [[n...] said:

I been listening to electronic music since i was 10! 

Kraftverk is of course the Gods in this genre. 

Hey. Someone replied! :D

I have some Kraftwerk. But I prefer early Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze (the analogue stuff). My first proper electronic album was White Eagle by Tangerine Dream. As for Kraftwerk - I have Autobahn on vinyl (bought second hand, mid or late 80s), and Trans-Europe Express on CD, but I obtained that was much later.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Hey. Someone replied! :D

I have some Kraftwerk. But I prefer early Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze (the analogue stuff). My first proper electronic album was White Eagle by Tangerine Dream. As for Kraftwerk - I have Autobahn on vinyl (bought second hand, mid or late 80s), and Trans-Europe Express on CD, but I obtained that was much later.

Yes Tangerine Dream is very nice. And early Jean Michel Jarre is the same genre I think.

I went to the techno scene in the late 80ies when techno was still some underground and made on machines. 

I bought my first synthesiser when I was 12 and always been fiddling around with that stuff. So yeah the analogue stuff is what it's at!! :)

I will check out Tangerine Dream as they kinda went under the rader back then. I was very into the belgium body music scene when i was in high school. I saw Front-242 in Stockholm and was blown away. Some kind of really angry synth/kraut that developed just between techno and kraut.

I also l also listened a lot to Cabaret voiltaire, punk on synthesisers and drum machines! I think they are from the UK! Madchester but more machine like.

Right now I'm saving up to a new analoge drum machine from Denmark. Really expensive but rather laying money on those things than anything else :) it calls Deformer and has a angry personality Hehe..

Edited by Guest

45 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Yes Tangerine Dream is very nice. And early Jean Michel Jarre is the same genre I think.

Jarre is quite different of course. But now that you mention it, I did buy a gatefold double album Oxygene/Equinoxe - I think that might well have been my first electronic music albums.

I went to the techno scene in the late 80ies when techno was still some underground and made on machines.

Not my thing. I was more into the 'alternative' scene at the time (mid- to late-80s).

I bought my first synthesiser when I was 12 and always been fiddling around with that stuff. So yeah the analogue stuff is what it's at!! :)

I never owned a synth. But a friend of mine (going way back to primary school) has been getting into synth modules over the past few years. This has piqued my interest.

I will check out Tangerine Dream as they kinda went under the rader back then. I was very into the belgium body music scene when i was in high school. I saw Front-242 in Stockholm and was blown away. Some kind of really angry synth/kraut that developed just between techno and kraut.

Again, EBM is not my thing. But I do like some industrial music: Einsturzende Neubauten; SPK were interesting too (I really do need to pick up one of their albums - I almost bought one so many times when in my youth).

I also l also listened a lot to Cabaret voiltaire, punk on synthesisers and drum machines! I think they are from the UK! Madchester but more machine like.

I saw Cabaret Voltaire sometime in the mid-80s.* But as I recall, it was not a good gig. The band is from Sheffield.

* You know, it is such a long time ago, I think I am mixing up Cabaret Voltaire with another gig. Rather, I think I am thinking of Alien Sex Fiend (industrial, electronic, goth). Now that was a terrible gig.

Right now I'm saving up to a new analoge drum machine from Denmark. Really expensive but rather laying money on those things than anything else :) it calls Deformer and has a angry personality Hehe..

Well, let me know if/when you do and how it turns out.

I always been into rythms i guess that's why I like beats. 

Yes you nailed the two best albums with Jarre :)

I'm just in the process of building studio again but it will take awhile. I done only art for the last six years so now it's time to return to the machines. 

I listend to Neubauten and SPK in my ninth grade. "Futter mein ego" was a personal favorite. Did you know that Christiane F (we barn from Barnhof Zoo) was a member for a while? If you don't know the story/movie/book it's the true story of a 13 yo berlin heroin user in 1970ies Berlin. Great movie with a special live gig from David Bowie. Also the book was great.

SPK did some true brutal stuff on video containing dead animals. The big hit metal dance was kinda good. 

3 hours ago, [[n...] said:

I always been into rythms i guess that's why I like beats. 

Yes you nailed the two best albums with Jarre :)

I'm just in the process of building studio again but it will take awhile. I done only art for the last six years so now it's time to return to the machines.

Well, that's exciting. Personal, or professional?

I listend to Neubauten and SPK in my ninth grade. "Futter mein ego" was a personal favorite. Did you know that Christiane F (we barn from Barnhof Zoo) was a member for a while? If you don't know the story/movie/book it's the true story of a 13 yo berlin heroin user in 1970ies Berlin. Great movie with a special live gig from David Bowie. Also the book was great.

In the Garden; Sabrina; Blume (with the use of intonarumori - fake, I think, but I know Blixa has worked with them elsewhere); oh, and Stella Maris. I am not any kind of EN aficionado - I just like them and would like to pick up some more albums at some stage (I only have Silence is Sexy).

SPK did some true brutal stuff on video containing dead animals. The big hit metal dance was kinda good. 

I did not know this. I'll avoid their videos then. And I know they changed direction after the first two albums (from the little I've heard, the later stuff is not at all interesting to me).

Good morning.

The art thing is kinda professional as i make tshirts/bags and stuff and have a Peppe Sedin brand. I sell mostly on online stores but I have a couple of real stores I sell on too.

Oh yeah that's he's name, Blixa..

So you don't use mp3 streaming services? 

Good morning to you.

6 hours ago, [[n...] said:

Good morning.

The art thing is kinda professional as i make tshirts/bags and stuff and have a Peppe Sedin brand. I sell mostly on online stores but I have a couple of real stores I sell on too.

Oh yeah that's he's name, Blixa..

So you don't use mp3 streaming services? 

Good morning to you.

No. Never use music streaming services beyond the odd Youtube video. Same with books. I like physical media.

• Like 1