Important Survey - Please Participate ×

For times of struggle

[Al...]

Was anyone able to use a benzo again after withdrawl? I got off ativan in January and was doing great until I decided to quit my job and taer my antidepressant. I cut from 225-150 effexor because my doctor thought that was ok. I did ok for three weeks then started having panic attacks that sent me into what feels like withdrawals. I since went back up but haven’t stabilized so i am starting my old job back up. My biggest symtom is depression from not working. Like severe depression. I have moments where it comes back to normal but my mind drags me back in. Since then i tried seraquel again for sleep but the next day hangover causes more anxiety than good. I know when im back working ill be good. But what i find myself wondering is will i be able to ever take a benzo again. I don’t really want to but if i have surgery or an mri id imagine they would give me some. 

The ideal situation would be to never take a benzo again, but having said that, there are members who will take one for a medical procedure.   The problem with taking one here and there is you might begin taking them regularly again. 

It sounds like you were having withdrawal symptoms from tapering Effexor.   Anti-depressants can be difficult to discontinue.  

It is probably best not to worry about whether or not you are going to have to take a benzo for a medical procedure.  If, and when, you are faced with that possibility, you can reach back out and discuss with other members who have been in that position.  

Glad you have been able to go back to your old job.   

@[Al...] Yes. I did. In 2015 I tapered off Klonopin, Celexa, and Wellbutrin (good times). I was off everything from the end of 2015 until January 2019, when I started chemotherapy. The stress and panic were overwhelming, so I went back on Klonopin so I could cope.  I started tapering again and it is going surprisingly well. I don't feel awesome, but I'm back in chemo, so, honestly, it's hard to tell which symptoms are side effects of that and which are withdrawal. (And I'm hoping they ARE withdrawal because then they will go away!)

I've had procedures with benzos, too, but it didn't create a problem that I recognized. And I agree with @[de...]: I wouldn't worry about having to take another benzo for a medical procedure. You can cross that bridge when you come to it. Don't let it steal your peace from today.

Jess

Well i wonder because i know its a bandaid but sometimes a beer or a benzo would be what i could use to not lose my rocker. When i get panicked i spiral and i still have yet to master the trick of getting myself out of it. I just wish i had some reward i still struggle with addiction for sure because i quit everything and life just isnt quite there where im high on life. Growing up i was on top of the world and needednotb i just was really outgoing so im going to try to get they back along with losing weight to feel good again. I just get really worried like i avoid drinking because of withdrawl and addiction. Id like to be able to drink socially again but its a thin line. Especially when id still be drinking to let some of the tension go.