Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Seasonal depression question

[Fa...]

Is this seasonal depression?

About this time of the year end of summer, I started to feel doomed, no hope, sadness, guilt. The exact cause I don’t know but always when temperature starts cooling down.

i asked around friends and family but i don’t think they know what I am talking about. It is an extremely unpleasant feeling that affects how I look at things. For example, I will get terrified on the weekends in Winter than summer, because all the feelings mentioned above rushing through me all at once. Can anyone relate to this at all?

I used to live at west coast and didn’t feel this way until October. Now I live at east coast so this feeling comes a lot quicker. It’s not even September yet.

• Like 1

I think that could be possible. The days have been getting shorter since the solstice, and fewer hours of daylight could be a trigger for you. I know that I do better with stress during the summer months, no doubt about it. Winter - the early darkness - is hard for me. And yet I absolutely love everything about Autumn. 

Then there are the pending holidays. Wow, those always trigger all KINDS of stress for me. Just thinking about how we're about to get slammed with the expectations of family and friends. Ugh. It can be a lot. 

Perhaps a Light Box might help? Or just making SURE to get outside for a little while every day and get some natural sunlight. I know that helps me. 

Jess

• Like 1

7 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Pending holidays are always stressful. Funny how it used to be our favorite things when we were kids.

Isn't that the truth!? I still love them - although sometimes I think it's my idealized idea of how they should be - but the stress can be crazy. Especially if you have to split time between families or travel long distances. There is a lot to that ...

• Like 1

On 28/08/2023 at 02:46, [[F...] said:

Sadly for me it’s true for now. But I’m confident things will get better!

Good! I hope they do!

@[Fa...]

Light therapy is extremely helpful. I've been using it for years. Got several of the Seasonal Affective Disorder lamps at home and don't regret a single purchase. I'm using a Finnish brand Innolux. They are costly but very effective and last for ages. I was recommended them by a doctor. Valovoima Mini can be carried around the house wherever you want, I think it's the best option.

• Like 1