Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Medication and Supplements of Concern

[Ha...]

According to Heather Ashton and countless people that have been through Benzo WD and recovery, certain medications and supplements have been known to cause setbacks. Please always be careful when adding something new.

There's a few lists available online of things that are known to have caused problems for people in the past. This isn't to say everyone will react badly and some of the things listed have also helped people. I would personally be careful with anything, whether it's on the list or not.

Here's the list on Benzodiazepine Information Coalition website 

https://www.benzoinfo.com/medications-and-supplements/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi HAM, I agree, I was drinking so much chamomile tea and valerian root tea and telling others how well they worked and didn’t realize that in the Ashton manual it says to stay away from these teas and with good reason. I have to continually look at the Ashton manual because my memory is bad at the moment.

I hope others join in this topic. 💙

• 3 weeks later...

The list is concerning while trying to detox on my own…. I also have been having chamomile tea. Do we want GABA uptake or down ?  I thought I would need extra GABA now..

11 hours ago, [[J...] said:

The list is concerning while trying to detox on my own…. I also have been having chamomile tea. Do we want GABA uptake or down ?  I thought I would need extra GABA now..

I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest. It's just a list that's been compiled of things that people COULD react badly to. It's not a list of things that absolutely have to be avoided. Just be aware that reactions can happen and be careful with adding new supplements or medication 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
[sh...]

It's very scary I'm on an SSRI I have been for a very long time longer than benzodiazepines.   

[Ka...]

Hello @[sh...] 

if you’d like to post a topic in another forum - perhaps Withdrawal, Use & Recovery & give some background then members can reply. For example: what you are currently taking, how long for & what we may try to help you with. 

Edited by [Ka...]

[Cb...]

There is a physician on YouTube who treats people in withdrawal, and he really disagrees with a lot of the supplements that are on the no-no list.  He has had great success using GABA and other supplements and it would certainly seem that since benzos raise GABA that taking a supplement would be beneficial, and yet it's a big no-no in the benzo community. My doctor has had me on a number of supplements throughout my withdrawal and I have found them to be very helpful. I read that the way gaba supplements  work in our body  is totally different from what a benzo medication would do.  And even though it does not cross the blood brain barrier, since our gut is called the 'second brain' it probably works through our gut, not our brain. A lot of brain related activities also take place in the gut, and the gut manufactures many of our brain chemicals like serotonin, and many others and there is a direct connection between the gut and the brain.  I started taking GABA and find it very helpful but I would not want anyone to take it based on my experience.  Here is the link for the  video with the physician that I mentioned above.  

Edited by [Cb...]
  • Like 1