Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Memory

[kl...]

I am really struggling with memory these days. I will wake up and forget what day it is or where I am at at times. Does this get better with time. Is it a normal symptom of benzo withdrawal during tapering or is it something else I should be concerned about. Has anyone had memory issues and gotten better with time?

Memory issues are not one of the more common symptoms, but anything is possible with Benzos and related WD.  IMO, if you never had memory issues prior to coming off of Benzos (assuming you are off), then over time, your memory should return to what is was like before Benzos?  Good luck.

Thanks @[Th...]. I have read your success story many times for hope and reassurance everything will be alright. It’s powerful and I appreciate all of your insight on your journey. Lays out that it’s not easy but it is doable and there is hope on the other side of this. 

I never did have memory issues before benzos or on them but since coming down 3/4 of the way through my taper they have definitely flared up. I think my lack of sleep and just overall feelings crummy has increased my cognitive issues.

I don’t know the difference between cog fog and memory. I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD but don’t know if I should medicate that or not in the middle of a taper. It’s hard to know what is pre existing and what is withdrawal.

I still have some memory gaps but most of it came back. Some parts I probably didn't and don't want to remember, so that may be why I still have gaps. The brain is pretty incredible in terms of recuperation.

I never had memory issues prior to tapering and WD.  I had severe memory issues about two months ago and it has seemed to have subsided.  I am at .3mg of diazepam now, tapering from 5mg.  Was on Clonazepam for 16 years, switched over to diazepam 8 months ago.

A couple of times I would wake up in the middle of the night totally confused and disoriented like my brain was scrambled, was the weirdest thing, very terrifying.  I have read others who have experienced the same thing so I am certain it is part of WD SX for some of us.

I also experienced lack of sleep when I was having the memory issues.  My sleep has drastically improved now.  So hang in there @[kl...] it should pass as you heal.

Thanks @[Li...]my Psychiatrist wants me to switch to Diazepam from clonazepan to taper the rest of the way. I was nervous to crossover but I tapered way to fast from 2 MG down to .5 MG and now I’ve been kind of stuck. The sad thing is the longer I hold here at .50 the less I am stabilizing. It seems like it’d be the opposite. How was your switch from clonazepan to diazepam did it go alright?

@[kl...] Surprisingly my switch to Diazepam went very well, only some slight WD SX a couple of days after the switch.  I started the taper at 5mg, cutting 1mg per month back in January.  It was going ok, I found the first couple of days after the cut I had issues but they disappeared quickly.  Then when I got down to 2mg that's where the real problems with SX started. Memory, sweating, anxiety, depression, benzo belly, fatigue,  a whole myriad of issues. So I held at 2mg and thankfully stabilized after about a month.  I then started a micro liquid taper, 100 days to taper the 2mgs. I am now only 19 days away from jumping!

Wow congratulations! That is amazing good work @[Li...]I hope one day I’ll be there. Seems so far away. I went to fast from 2 MG to .50 MG of clonazepan. I didn’t realize 2 of Clonazepan was so potent until it was too late in my taper. I went from 2 to 1 with no problem but 1 to .50 is when it got bad. I’ve been suffering since I made the cut back in April and I’m stuck here for now. Not sure whether or not to updose or try and stabilize where I’m at.

Hang in there @[kl...] it takes time and we are all different. If there is one thing I have learned is this journey is different for all of us. Hoping you will stabilize soon!!