Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Is sleep on and off when tapering?

[de...]

Hi all,

I wanted to know if sleep is an on-and-off thing when tapering  

I have been falling asleep with no problem and staying partially asleep the last couple of nights. On these days I have been sleeping okay, and I have felt normal the next day. 

But what is weird is when I have days like I feel normal when it comes to bedtime I feel like I can't find myself to get to sleep. I engage in all kinds of sleep hygiene routines and calming techniques. But those things really don't feel like there helping; probably only a little.

That was the case last night when I was laying in bed and it was 1 am in the morning and I still didn't feel sleepy not one bit. I took my tapering amount of Klonopin 0.125mg earlier around 11 pm. But about 2hrs after I saw I wasn't falling asleep and I took another 0.125mg. I'm on dissolving tablets right now. 

I've come to learn the terms waves and windows. Since being a part of this forum. I think I have been having some window periods. Is there any way to know when a window or wave will come on? 

Is what I'm describing above the onset of a wave with sleep. Has anyone experienced something like this before? 

I feel like the pattern I've seen with this is I sleep okay for two or three days then I sleep like crap for a day or two. Is something like this considered the Windows and Waves period? 

To whomever reads this thank you for taking the time!   

Hi, @[de...],

I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulty with sleep.  I am tapering off of diazepam, and my sleep is negatively effected as well (similar to what you have described).  Unfortunately, insomnia/sleep disturbances seem to be one of the most common symptoms.  I agree that sleep hygiene routines, and calming techniques, are minimally effective with benzo induced insomnia.  I still practice meditation, prayer and calming bedtime routines however, as my belief is that they are certainly better than the alternative and cannot hurt.  I have become more accustomed to the poor sleep and do my best to function to the best of my ability under the circumstances. In essence, I encourage you to push forward and try to live above the circumstances!  

I don't know your medication history, or how you are tapering, however, please keep your dosing schedule consistent.  Take your dose(s) at the same time each day and do not take 'emergency' doses.  I would suggest tapering at no more than 5-10% (of your current dose) per month and hold when necessary (symptom severity increases or becomes more inconsistent).  Following these suggestions has helped my sleep be more predictable/consistent at times (still not great) and allowed me to be 'functional' while still reducing my benzodiazepine.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

Hi, @[de...],

I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulty with sleep.  I am tapering off of diazepam, and my sleep is negatively effected as well (similar to what you have described).  Unfortunately, insomnia/sleep disturbances seem to be one of the most common symptoms.  I agree that sleep hygiene routines, and calming techniques, are minimally effective with benzo induced insomnia.  I still practice meditation, prayer and calming bedtime routines however, as my belief is that they are certainly better than the alternative and cannot hurt.  I have become more accustomed to the poor sleep and do my best to function to the best of my ability under the circumstances. In essence, I encourage you to push forward and try to live above the circumstances!  

I don't know your medication history, or how you are tapering, however, please keep your dosing schedule consistent.  Take your dose(s) at the same time each day and do not take 'emergency' doses.  I would suggest tapering at no more than 5-10% (of your current dose) per month and hold when necessary (symptom severity increases or becomes more inconsistent).  Following these suggestions has helped my sleep be more predictable/consistent at times (still not great) and allowed me to be 'functional' while still reducing my benzodiazepine.  

That's what I thought. Thank you for responding. 

• Like 1