Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Mirtazapine/ Remeron Withdrawal

[Fi...]

Hey there, thanks so much for responding, FH! I just didn't know how to answer my pdoc when she said just stop and get it over with. Later I was able to say (in my head!) it's a matter of degrees, feeling badly vs. feeling like you can't go on. But of course it was too late and I was really doubting myself. The power of authority! But I did just get a call from the compounding pharmacy and am hopeful the doctor's office will follow through on the liquid mirt.

My starting dose of lamotrigine was 25 mg. I couldn't get up to a therapeutic dose on anything at that point; everything made my symptoms spike, and they were already sky high. So right now I'm on 9.6 mg of lamotrigine. I've been titrating down about .5 mg every once in a while, not on any particular schedule. Sometimes I hold for 2 weeks, sometimes for 5 weeks etc., because I'm also titrating down on the mirt. 

The mirt seems the hardest to work with. Even a tiny bit is hard. The lamotrigine seemed not as bad to me. When I first went on lamotrigine I also developed these crazy infections I'd never had before. I suspect it's somewhat poisonous for me, which is why I'm hot to get rid of it. My eyes also got a whole lot worse on these two medicines. I'd just had my eyes checked and gotten new glasses. Four months later, after I'd started these meds, I got an eye infection and went in. My ophthalmologist was surprised to see how much worse my eyesight had gotten, so it wasn't just my perception. I'm hoping once I'm off them, in time, my sight will improve too.

Again, I really appreciate you hopping on here. It's so hard to go against your doctor's recommendations, so your input is calming and helpful. :smitten:

It’s good to hear from you both and that you’ve gotten down lower in your taper. I think those of us who are this sensitive are in the minority, which is what the doctors don’t see. They see the majority of their patients having headaches or nausea for a couple of weeks, maybe a small uptick in anxiety, when tapering more quickly. But for me, it’s much more severe to the point of feeling like my brain is being damaged. I think you have to go with your gut, HotCold. You’re so close, and the end of the taper is an important time to do it properly. You’re right to take your time with it. Please keep us posted. 

As a side note about the weight gain, the mirtazapine actually makes us get carb cravings at night. It’s crazy. I have been trying to lower carb intake and when I do, it seems to help slightly with the waist, but it’s hard! 

Glad to hear you’re doing well, FH, and thanks for your kind words 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Edited by [op...]

Hi, @[op...]!  Good to hear from you.  You were one who kindly reached out to me when I first joined BB last year, and provided me sound feedback/advice.  Sorry to hear of your covid setback, and struggle with the remaining amount of mirt.  The good news it that the mirt seems to always stabilize you when you have had issues with benzo (in the beginning and mid-taper), re-instating mirt after your discontinuation with lost scale/traveling, and now with your recent unfortunate covid setback and updose.  Those situations must have all been scary, but you always pull through!  I have 'followed' your journey and you have come so far and are so close to reaching your desire to be med free!

If you don't mind me asking, what does your liquid compounded mirt script 'look like' (e.g.,active and non-active ingredients)?  I plan on tapering off at some point as well, and a compounded liquid will most likely be the route I go (if my body allows it). 

@[Fi...] and @[Ho...], it seems as if you both are doing a grand job with your respective mirt tapers, and are very close to discontinuing as well!

@[Fa...]

Thank you for your very kind note! What a journey it's been! The compounded pharmacy I use recommends olive oil as the base because it has a long shelf life. They can add a flavor, but I chose not to. It's worked fine (though I'm back on the pills and scale now - grrr - hopefully not for long!). The compound wasn't cheap but I like how you can control it precisely with the liquid. I had no issues with it. 

Good luck!!

Edited by [op...]

I’ve moved this thread to Health Matters, this is the forum we’ve selected for topics about other medications, however, it will now be locked.  We’ve made changes to how the platform operates and the post below explains our reasoning.  The team welcome discussions about other medications and hopes everyone involved in this thread will continue to support each other and other members as well.

Pamster

[53...]