Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Mirtazapine/ Remeron Withdrawal

[Fi...]

@[op...] @[Ox...] @[Sl...] @[as...]

I'm posting here because it looks like the original Mirt/Remeron support group has been archived. 

Openroad and I were trying to figure out a way for those of us still tapering Mirt to have a place to check in.

Please tag other members who are still tapering and may want support 

Let's see how this goes. 

Final Healing  

Awesome, FH. I remember @[ju...] and @[Ho...] were also tapering.

I saw Oxabuddy's last post and wanted to congratulate her on doing so well, and getting so far in her taper, so hopefully she will pop on to see this!

I'm doing well. Down to .3 and looking at maybe two more months. And then .... drug free!

Wow I'm glad I took some screen shots before it disappeared. The old string was stuffed with useful information. I hope I can figure out where it is! I'm now at 1.01 mg. of Mirtazepine. Feeling fine until around 3:30-4:00 and then I feel lousy, burning, jitters, anxious and sad. Not jumping until I'm a whole lot lower. I've been dropping at a rate of 10% every two/three weeks.

Trying to get a liquid from a compounding pharmacy but am still waiting for the dr. to call it in. It's $65 a pop, with 30 ml a bottle, so I wanted it to be 2 mg-to-1ml. I got an argument but just barreled my way through, nicely insisting. They said yes but I haven't heard a peep yet. We'll see!

I finally found my blog but can't add to it. Is that part of the site over too? I wonder.

The entire thread is alive and well in the Big Move archive in the ‘More Support’ section. Here’s a link to the last post in the thread:

15 hours ago, [[L...] said:

The entire thread is alive and well in the Big Move archive in the ‘More Support’ section. Here’s a link to the last post in the thread:

Yes, thanks! I did also post it earlier in the thread here. But we can't reply to it in the archive, so that's why we started this new thread. :)

16 hours ago, [[H...] said:

Wow I'm glad I took some screen shots before it disappeared. The old string was stuffed with useful information. I hope I can figure out where it is! I'm now at 1.01 mg. of Mirtazepine. Feeling fine until around 3:30-4:00 and then I feel lousy, burning, jitters, anxious and sad. Not jumping until I'm a whole lot lower. I've been dropping at a rate of 10% every two/three weeks.

Trying to get a liquid from a compounding pharmacy but am still waiting for the dr. to call it in. It's $65 a pop, with 30 ml a bottle, so I wanted it to be 2 mg-to-1ml. I got an argument but just barreled my way through, nicely insisting. They said yes but I haven't heard a peep yet. We'll see!

I finally found my blog but can't add to it. Is that part of the site over too? I wonder.

HotCold - both Libertas and I have posted a link to the old thread here so you can read through it - but you'll need to reply here. One suggestion I would make that Now-Power gave me, was that the liquid has a long shelf life if they use almond or olive oil in the compound. So I got a higher dosage amount than I needed, and it's been lasting me for months.

Good luck and keep us posted!

On 7/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, [[o...] said:

HotCold - both Libertas and I have posted a link to the old thread here so you can read through it - but you'll need to reply here. One suggestion I would make that Now-Power gave me, was that the liquid has a long shelf life if they use almond or olive oil in the compound. So I got a higher dosage amount than I needed, and it's been lasting me for months.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Do you have a choice? I ask because the compounding pharmacy I'm trying to use didn't ask. Do you think I could request almond or olive oil? Regarding the old string, as long as I can get to it as a reference, that's probably all I really need.

Appreciate the advice, BTW!!!

6 hours ago, [[H...] said:

Do you have a choice? I ask because the compounding pharmacy I'm trying to use didn't ask. Do you think I could request almond or olive oil? Regarding the old string, as long as I can get to it as a reference, that's probably all I really need.

Appreciate the advice, BTW!!!

yes, you should have a choice. let them know you'd like it to last a couple of months. I told them that and they offered me olive or almond oil. they said it would have a longer shelf life.

14 hours ago, [[o...] said:

yes, you should have a choice. let them know you'd like it to last a couple of months. I told them that and they offered me olive or almond oil. they said it would have a longer shelf life.

Thank you for letting me know!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends. You know I am on the way again. For now just waiting for rest at 8,3 mg. Last weekend I ate goat cheese 3 days in a row. It sucked my gut flora terribly and now I feel rough especially in terms of depression. Have you ever lived such problems with dairy? I know it exacerbated Sibo problems which add to histamine intolerance. I need encouragement. It is beautiful to taltk to you again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Checking in and also want to see how everyone is doing. 

I'm down to 1.8mgs at this point and am doing pretty well. I sleep decently and am able to work, which has been a relief. 

My only two complaints are muscle stiffness and a roll of fat around my stomach caused by an extra 10lbs of Mirt weight. It hasn't shifted even as I eat cleanly most of the time. I'm not being overly judgemental about the weight gain, it's just frustrating. 

I'm really hoping it will drop off quickly when I get lower or when I'm off completely. 

FH 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2023 at 02:31, [[j...] said:

Hi friends. You know I am on the way again. For now just waiting for rest at 8,3 mg. Last weekend I ate goat cheese 3 days in a row. It sucked my gut flora terribly and now I feel rough especially in terms of depression. Have you ever lived such problems with dairy? I know it exacerbated Sibo problems which add to histamine intolerance. I need encouragement. It is beautiful to taltk to you again.

Hi Juneight,

We talked on one of my previous accounts. Are you saying you reinstated at 8.3mg? How come?

On 15/09/2023 at 16:19, [[R...] said:

Hi Juneight,

We talked on one of my previous accounts. Are you saying you reinstated at 8.3mg? How come?

Yes, unfortunately I had to reinstate because of my deteriorated sleep cycles thanks to a stressfull car crash in flood, but it was a bit higher than you said:10 mgs. I could barely come to 6.75 mgs. Everything is going well except depression. Every stressfull condition like life stress, body stress and histamine high foods could send me into bad positions. So I am eating fresh, healthy and trying to live without stress as much as possible. What was your nickname previously?

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all doing ok. I have good news and bad news. I'll share the bad news first. I was down to .03mg of mirt via a compounded liquid. I was struggling to get off the last bit, and then got hit with Covid. First week I was ok - just a bad flu. Second week, I went back into acute benzo w/d. It was terrifying - all of my symptoms came back. My heart and brain went haywire, the pacing and vomiting - all the things. I was completely nonfunctional. And I had been off benzos for 8 months at this point! Ok, so that's the bad news.

I knew that the mirtazapine had helped in the past with these symptoms when they were unbearable like this. So I took 3.5 mirtazapine and a beta blocker and I was able to stabilize in about two days. I stayed at that for about a week and I'm now tapering down again, and going more quickly because I had only been on it a short time. I'm now at 2.5.

So the good news is that the mirtazapine still seems to help when I get these unbearable symptoms. It seems to stop the vomiting and akathisia pretty quickly, so I'm grateful for that. The bad news is obviously that I haven't been able to get off it. 

I honestly wouldn't care except for the weight gain. @FH, the belly roll is dreadful. I'm skinny everywhere else but look pregnant. I think part of that is still from benzos, but part is definitely from the mirtazapine.

Wishing everyone fortitude,

openroad

• Sad 1

Hey @[op...],

I'm so sorry you had Covid and got those horrible symptoms. I understand how shocking it is to be thrown into acute benzo withdrawal.

I'm glad you have stabilized and understand the need for you to use Mirt to help you there. I have complete faith that you will get off Mirt when the time is right. You already are moving down again. 

Thanks for confirming your experience with weight gain from Mirt. I'm not happy you have to carry it but at least I know its not only me. I actually do know that it's from the med but it's good to have others to commiserate with. I'm now down to 1.6mgs. 

Wishing you complete healing from COVID @[op...] and a smooth taper off. 

Hope everyone else is doing all right. 

FH

• Love 1

I've been wondering why I have extra poundage when I'm eating less! I'm only on 1 mg of mirtazepine, but also 12 mg of lamotrigine. Both are so low you'd think I can only blame myself And yet! 

Breakfast: 3 oz plain kefir—green tea—small serving fruit.

Lunch: small slice home-made pizza—1/2 apple—water

Dinner: Broccoli—oven baked chicken, 4 oz.—1/2 c. mashed potatoes—one raw carrot

Snack: 1/2 c. ice cream—1 c. chocolate milk—1 c. skinny popcorn

I know, I know, I'm bad at night but it's the only time I actually feel like eating! The rest of the time it's just because I should!

Also, finally contacted my pdoc who said, again, I should just stop taking both. I reminded her it's a CNS issue. She says just suffer once instead of over and over. She finally agreed to re-write the prescriptions so I'll have enough and the mirt will be compounded. 

I kept wondering it she was right? Maybe I should just suffer once instead of over and over. I don't know anymore!

@[Ho...]

No, in my opinion, your doctor is not right. Most doctors do not understand the consequences of stopping a psychiatric medication or how jumping to high can cause terrible symptoms. 

I jumped from 5mgs of Lamotrigine after being as high as 200mgs. I had a very bad time jumping from that dose. I had to reinstate but I never really stabilized. That choice caused me to be on benzos for the second time. 

We are all different in what we can handle during a taper. I think it is smart that you are continuing your taper and going lower. 

Congrats on getting to 1mg on the Mirt. (Don't I know what your starting Lamitrogine was).

Mirt is notorious for weight gain not matter how cleanly people eat or how much they exercise. The good news is that the weight usually does leave once the medication is stopped.  

FH

Edited by [Fi...]

[8e...]