Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

2 months off. Unsteadiness, Tinnitus, High Blood Pressure

[ei...]

I am 2 months off after tapering low dose Alprazolam, used for about 4-5 months after advance stage cancer diagnosis of my sister.

Experiencing louder Tinnitus the past days, not sure if my new antidepressant Vortioxetine (2months now on low dose) is causing it. Also still have some slight dizziness / unsteadiness at times.

I think the Tinnitus is a symptom of Benzo Withdrawal. When will this go away, any tips to cope?

Also prescribed Amlodipine for high blood pressure. Maybe I am getting older, 52 now. Not really from withdrawal?

This is really hard. Any help please.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. My psychiatrist gave me Betahistine for the unsteadiness. He says it is vertigo. Been drinking it for 6 days now, no improvement. So this is really withdrawal and only time heals the dizziness? I will try to stop drinking the Betahisitne tomorrow and see what happens.

You’re very early off of the Alprazolam, if it were me, I’d attribute all of these symptoms to your withdrawal and wait for recovery.

If you didn’t suffer with high blood pressure before this, it’s doubtful you will after you recover so pay close attention to your readings, you may not need medication much longer..  Your tinnitus should lessen as time goes by but oftentimes, its the last symptom to leave.

If you’re not chronically depressed, this condition should leave as well,

The unsteadiness, some call it a boaty feeling should leave you as well, adding heavy duty medications for a temporary condition can be tricky, the side effects can sometimes be worse than the condition.

It’s common for symptoms to wax and wane so try not to make snap decisions about how to treat them when its possible they’ll be gone, never to return.

Thank you so much Pamster, i really appreciate all that you said.

I previously had slight elevated blood pressure as I think it rans in our family. But i was able to "manage" it with exercise. I'll wait till my withdrawal fades and ask the doc if we can lessen the BP medication and the AD.

(could take months or a year?)

Thanks so much

I am 2 months off after tapering low dose Alprazolam, used for about 4-5 months after advance stage cancer diagnosis of my sister.

Experiencing louder Tinnitus the past days, not sure if my new antidepressant Vortioxetine (2months now on low dose) is causing it. Also still have some slight dizziness / unsteadiness at times.

I think the Tinnitus is a symptom of Benzo Withdrawal. When will this go away, any tips to cope?

Also prescribed Amlodipine for high blood pressure. Maybe I am getting older, 52 now. Not really from withdrawal?

Thanks in advance.

P.s. My psychiatrist gave me Betahistine for the unsteadiness. He says it is vertigo. Been drinking it for 6 days now, no improvement. So this is really withdrawal and only time heals the dizziness? I will try to stop drinking the Betahisitne tomorrow and see what happens.

I was extremely dizzy and was taking hydroxyzine regularly to help with anxiety. I noticed that the anti histamine was actually causing my symptoms. It’s possible the medication you’re taking for vertigo might actually be making it worse. Don’t quote me though, I’m not a doctor, just speaking from personal experience

Not sure if that was a question but yes, recovery can take many months but its good to hear you can manage your blood pressure with exercise.  I do my best to control conditions with diet and exercise, its amazing how effective that can be.

Thanks in advance.

I was extremely dizzy and was taking hydroxyzine regularly to help with anxiety. I noticed that the anti histamine was actually causing my symptoms. It’s possible the medication you’re taking for vertigo might actually be making it worse. Don’t quote me though, I’m not a doctor, just speaking from personal experience

Hi hllaya,

No, the anti vertigo was just prescribed last week, so I don't think it causes it. I've read articles and FB user groups, nausea and dizziness is a common side effect of my antidepressant Brintellix/Vortioxetine. So maybe that.

Not sure if that was a question but yes, recovery can take many months but its good to hear you can manage your blood pressure with exercise.  I do my best to control conditions with diet and exercise, its amazing how effective that can be.

Actually I quit the blood pressure med for two weeks prior, and when I had my doctor's appointment my blood pressure reading shoot up to 160/90 at his office. The doctor's secretary said I should not stop, I might get a stroke. So that shit scared me, I'll take the BP med for now and maybe evaluate much later when I am off the antidepressant as well.

I am really tempted to taper the 2 months use of my antidepressant due to the side effects, but doctors always say I need to be on it for at least 6 months. Can't wait.

It’s actually a good idea to hold off on the A/D withdrawal, this will give you more time to recover from the Alprazolam, although I hate to see you stay on it if its not helpful.
  • Like 1