Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

“Floxed”

[Ma...]

It's when you're given a Fluoroquinolone antibiotic like Cipro, which has the effect of blocking the benzos from your GABA receptors. In effect it's an instant CT, even faster than just stopping taking them.

I don’t know if this is where I ask this question, but what does “floxed” mean?

It has nothing to do with a benzo!

It is a adverse reaction to a class of commonly prescribed antibiotics called fluoroquinolones. It's not common, but fluoroquinolones have been connected to a bewildering array of serious health issues.

Cipro or Levaquin are just 2 of them.  There is a black box warning on this class of antibiotics.

It's when you're given a Fluoroquinolone antibiotic like Cipro, which has the effect of blocking the benzos from your GABA receptors. In effect it's an instant CT, even faster than just stopping taking them.

Maybe you are thinking of flumazenil? Used in surgery to counter the effects of benzodiazepines and other sedating agents. It’s a GABA receptor antagonist.

Maybe you are thinking of flumazenil? Used in surgery to counter the effects of benzodiazepines and other sedating agents. It’s a GABA receptor antagonist.

No, it's the ABs

https://www.benzoinfo.com/2017/10/12/hidden-dangers-of-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-in-the-benzodiazepine-dependent-population/

Oh wow. Thanks for the link. I just knew to stay away from them while in prolonged withdrawal. I know I was prescribed Cipro and Levaquin around my 5th year of benzo use. Although I did not experience a hard WD, do you think that could have kindled me? Also probably around the time I unknowingly reached tolerance and my neurologist loaded me up with more GABAergics.