Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Video, Jul/23: Taking psych drugs for non-psychiatric reasons? --Benzo w/d risks

[La...]

Just posted today (July 10/23), this short video from Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring and Dr. Marissa Witt-Doerring is called "Taking psych drugs for non-psychiatric reasons? | Risks of benzo withdrawal". It will surely hit home for quite a few BBs, since many of us were prescribed psychiatric medications by doctors other than psychiatrists for a variety of non-psychiatric symptoms or illnesses (e.g. premenstrual or menopausal symptoms or various pain syndromes).

It’s the perfect drug, if you don’t have the condition its designed to treat, it will create it insuring a steady supply of customers. 

LOL, Pamster, I don't know if I should laugh at the irony of your statement, or to cry about the reality of it! I am one of these people who ended up on benzos because of back pain. Which it didn't even help. Now I have the original pain + plethora of new problems. Great!

I agree with you, new0girl!  Pamster’s spot on comment is a perfect example of ‘Should I laugh or should I cry?’

Yes, and I was prescribed an SNRI  (Cymbalta) for pain by a non-psychiatrist, along with the benzos I was already on. A huge mistake for which I have much anger and regret. It gave me the worst diarrhea I had ever had, and it destroyed my balance (likely due to the combined effect of meds that affected the neurotransmitters). And like new0girl, the meds didn't help the pain at all. They just made things worse.

>:(:(

Oh my dear, Lapis2.  I’m so sorry to learn about your experience with Cymbalta. As you probably know, one of the largest peer support groups for Cymbalta is (appropriately) named ‘Cymbalta Hurts.’

Yes Lapis2, you have every right to be furious. It's only appropriate, give the amount of brutal suffering and life disruption this has caused us. How are you doing, these days?

Oh my dear, Lapis2.  I’m so sorry to learn about your experience with Cymbalta. As you probably know, one of the largest peer support groups for Cymbalta is (appropriately) named ‘Cymbalta Hurts.’

Thanks, Libertas and new0girl.

Obviously, for me and for many others, it was a terrible drug. I was only on it for a short time (because the diarrhea was dangerous), but it was the beginning of a terrible change in my life with the loss of balance. At the time, there was a lot of "word play" around the terms "antidepressant discontinuation syndrome" or something like that. No one wanted to admit that SSRIs or SNRIs could have a horrible withdrawal syndrome that was completely debilitating. Also, because that particular medication came in capsules, trying to get off it slowly was a messy and difficult task. There was zero guidance and little acknowledgement of what was happening to me. A horrific experience. Total regret.

And I'm still dizzy (and crying). It's been years and years and years. The combination of meds I was on was clearly a massive mistake. All of them list dizziness as a side effect, and once you start messing with the neurotransmitters that are involved with the vestibular system (i.e. system of balance) -- and so many are involved -- then, apparently, it can take a very long time to normalize.

Oh, dear Lapis, my heart goes out to you. I'm sorry to hear that after all this time you're still stuck in the same place. I was hoping you improved somewhat.

Sending lots of love and hugs your way!

:therethere:

Oh, dear Lapis, my heart goes out to you. I'm sorry to hear that after all this time you're still stuck in the same place. I was hoping you improved somewhat.

Sending lots of love and hugs your way!

:therethere:

Thank you so much, new0girl. I appreciate that.

Once again, I am in agreement with new0girl.  What happened to you is heart-rending, Lapis2.  Learning more about your backstory makes me appreciate what you do for BenzoBuddies even more.  Despite your continued suffering, you somehow find the strength to help others by finding and sharing high-quality information and research with us.  You are a true hero and humanitarian.

Once again, I am in agreement with new0girl.  What happened to you is heart-rending, Lapis2.  Learning more about your backstory makes me appreciate what you do for BenzoBuddies even more.  Despite your continued suffering, you somehow find the strength to help others by finding and sharing high-quality information and research with us.  You are a true hero and humanitarian.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful message, Libertas. I really don't feel like I do very much around here -- especially of late. But it's kind of you to say that. It's been really gruelling during the last 12-15 months, and I tend to just need to divert my attention and focus on other things (i.e. away from here).

Thank you again, though. So kind.