Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Windows and waves does this mean I'm not healing??

[st...]

Coming up on 19 months and every month I have a brutal wave. My windows are so much better but the waves have no decreased in intensity. They have just morphed to different symptoms this 19 months. Anyone else have wave Intensity stay the same????

19 months out is still considered early in withdrawal. Eventually your waves will lessen and your windows will be longer. The morphing of symptoms is annoying yes, but completly normal pattern of healing. I used to have the morphing of symptoms myself. Believe in your recovery, because i believe in it. All the best to you and keep at it.

It really doesn't matter what is going on at any particular time.  You are healing!  Whether it is windows/waves, intense symptoms, less intense symptoms it is all part of the brain trying to heal.

Also, there is no exact timeline for healing.  Many people are not healed at 18 months.    For me, it has helped not to have an expectation of when I will heal, but just keep reminding myself that I will heal eventually.    Easier said than done, I know.

Having said that, I believe there is anecdotal evidence that points to the idea that most people are healed by 36-40 months.  I am not saying that it will take that long for you, but I believe the oft quoted timeframe of 18-24 months may not be totally accurate.

Coming up on 19 months and every month I have a brutal wave. My windows are so much better but the waves have no decreased in intensity. They have just morphed to different symptoms this 19 months. Anyone else have wave Intensity stay the same????

This does not sound unusual to me. I know it's frustrating, but that's the nature of the nonlinear healing.  My waves have actually gotten more intense each time, but my windows get longer and better. 

I'm also in the camp that I think it'll take longer than 18-24 months to heal.  Everyone is different, but it's good advice not to lock yourself to a certain healing time frame and be disappointed. 

If you're off, you're healing, every wave. 

19 months is not early.  Obviously, the time it takes to heal is different for everyone but it seems most people start to at least see some progress starting to take shape by the one year mark.  So, maybe anything < 1 year can be on the earlier side for most everyone?